Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Kormidlo

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 17:34
Kormidlo wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 17:31
Can we take this as something like car performance indication, or, do you think other cars from top 3 teams are able to do that too???
In one of the interviews during testing (with Costa I think) there was mention that Hamilton had been flat through there too. Likely that the top three (or more) are all able to do it this season.
Ok thank you, I will find that interview...

CriXus

Seb was not flat out through turn 9. There was a slight lift.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Kormidlo

CriXus wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 18:00
Ok, I can see it (hear it) now clearly that he lifted a bit... I found that interview with Mercedes drivers and both sayed that they was flat out. Hamilton sayed that he now experiencing most g-forces in his life in F1 car ever :shock: :shock: :shock:

So, why Seb lifted a bit, when he was on the hot lap? Do you think, he did it on purpose to hide speed? Or Ferrari can not go flat out trought T9???

Just_a_fan

One thing that strikes me in this image is how much volume in the car is taken up by the driver. With the cockpit side pads removed, we can see the size of the tub - something that's normally disguised by the cockpit sides and the driver's helmet.

The image is a really good demonstration of how small F1 cars really are. Sure, they're long and quite wide across the axles but the shrink-fit bodywork of modern cars is really shown here. Whenever I've stood next to a Formula 1 car I'm always struck by how small they really are. Same goes for LMP1 cars when you see them overtaking a Porsche 911. The 911 looks big next the LMP1 and we know the 911 isn't huge in reality.

Anyway, this is slightly offtopic but I wanted to point out that the image is useful for things other than just looking at the Ferrari. 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Kalsi

Kormidlo wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 20:46
CriXus wrote:
13 Mar 2018, 18:00
Ok, I can see it (hear it) now clearly that he lifted a bit... I found that interview with Mercedes drivers and both sayed that they was flat out. Hamilton sayed that he now experiencing most g-forces in his life in F1 car ever :shock: :shock: :shock:

So, why Seb lifted a bit, when he was on the hot lap? Do you think, he did it on purpose to hide speed? Or Ferrari can not go flat out trought T9???
Well.... This really depends on the speed you enter the corner.... If vettel enters faster than hamilton... He needs to lift 😅

Sevach

SF 70H Abu Dhabi vs SF 71H test spec.

A few extra deflectors, redimensioned "L" elements.

Sevach

till.a.fischer

Auto Motor und Sport reporting about the Smoking Ferraris:

Meanwhile, the mystery of the smoking Ferrari engines is clarified. Obviously there was a lot of bearings in the turbocharger with too large tolerances. As a result, oil was blown into the engine through the compressor and burned. That's why the phenomenon was seen only in Ferrari and Sauber. In the turbocharger for HaasF1 a different batch of bearings should have been installed.

f1316

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... B_r_r43O3W

Just on the last point "One issue of concern to the team, however, is the fact that the increased weight of 2018 cars, allied to more full-throttle time over a race lap this year, will lead to an increase in fuel consumption – something that could hold it back at tracks like Melbourne."

Is it possible that the bearings 'with too large tolerances' mentioned above were impacting fuel consumption? I guess they weren't allowed to burn oil as fuel, but it doesn't sound as if it would be helpful to do what's described. Could also explain the relatively good performance of the Haas?

noname

till.a.fischer wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 13:35
Auto Motor und Sport reporting about the Smoking Ferraris:

Meanwhile, the mystery of the smoking Ferrari engines is clarified. Obviously there was a lot of bearings in the turbocharger with too large tolerances. As a result, oil was blown into the engine through the compressor and burned. That's why the phenomenon was seen only in Ferrari and Sauber. In the turbocharger for HaasF1 a different batch of bearings should have been installed.
I am not buying this. I suppose if the clearances were that much off turbo would not last long.
And for sure they would catch this on a dyno. Each turbo and each PU is going through sign-off test before making its way into the car.

I doubt there is anybody in Maranello willing to report serious quality offence to Marchione.

roon

scarbs wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 19:22
[media]https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/9 ... 17248?s=19[/media]
Interesting feature. Seems like something the other teams could easily adopt.

Moose

roon wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 20:28
Interesting feature. Seems like something the other teams could easily adopt.
Yes - and it's something that's been adopted by many teams in the past, if they're not doing it already, it's likely not of benefit to them.

JPBD1990