Driver styles/preferences

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mertol

Re: Driver styles/preferences

Ferrari has more downforce and less top speed. It's normal to brake later.

marmer

On the other topic about honda power alonso brakes massively later due to the lack of speed into the turn

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Ennis

Something I'd love to see -

An accurate overhead map showing individual driver's lines around a track. Maybe even make the colour of their line change temperature dependent on their speed. If possible, some sort of inverted colour within it to show on/off the brakes (not sure we can see pressure applied to brakes publicly). Interactive so you can select/deselect different drivers to compare lines.

Am I asking too much? :)

johnny comelately

FW17 wrote:
20 Aug 2010, 13:06
This is off topic but this is really something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdtKTlJx ... ure=search
It is fantastically on the money and on the topic.
a slightly better one here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1JuxgiPvz0

The significant thing here is : no curb/kerb hopping

Just_a_fan

Montoya still went fully off track in a couple of places, even if he didn't hop curbs. No doubt, if Indy cars were built to hop curbs, he would have been doing that too.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Ennis wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 10:59
Something I'd love to see -

An accurate overhead map showing individual driver's lines around a track. Maybe even make the colour of their line change temperature dependent on their speed. If possible, some sort of inverted colour within it to show on/off the brakes (not sure we can see pressure applied to brakes publicly). Interactive so you can select/deselect different drivers to compare lines.

Am I asking too much? :)
Monza 2016 qualifying. Italian TV had the trace thru the chicane.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

johnny comelately

Just_a_fan wrote:
20 Mar 2018, 11:44
Montoya still went fully off track in a couple of places, even if he didn't hop curbs. No doubt, if Indy cars were built to hop curbs, he would have been doing that too.
I dont believe that is right.
Turns 1, 2 and 3 were quite able to be run over if he chose to, and he did not.
His full use of track was extraordinary and the fact that he did not hop the kerbs says a lot imho.

Sevach

I found this video entertaining.

Just_a_fan

Interesting video. It shows what the commentator doesn't want to say - that Hamilton was quicker through the corner. Sure, Vettel might have got on the power a bit earlier because of his line but Hamilton carried more speed through the corner. The on board showed they were in at the same time but Hamilton was out earlier. The thing about lines in the corner and who got on the power when is interesting but one fact remains - apex speed is key. Hamilton was quicker at the apex and so quicker through the corner.

The one thing the commentator missed is that minimum corner speed is key to lap time. Why so? Quite simple really - the cars carry downforce in order to be quicker in the corners. If you are quicker at the slowest point then you gain more than you do from being quick at the quickest point. The reasoning is left to the reader.

One only has to look at the speed trap times - quite often, (usually?) the pole sitter is not the fastest in the speed trap. The reason is again obvious and left to the reader to consider.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mertol

The difference is rarely more than a couple of km/h it doesn't matter that much to the downforce level. What is most important in this turn is the exit speed as it is followed by a fairly long straight.

gold333

Sevach wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 00:33
I found this video entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxNisfvk35s
Oddly enough the difference between Ham and Vet is the same as in the other two video's on Youtube (Schumacher / Herbert telemetry lap trace difference and Senna / Palmer telemetry lap trace difference.) Those two other vids are easy to find.

Ham, Sch, Sen simply brake earlier and less than their competitor in the comparison is the conclusion of all three vids.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).

raymondu999

Would love to see some people’s thoughts on this new breed’s driving styles. Leclerc seems to be a similar driver to a Button/Kimi type, maybe Kimi moreso. Like that gentle steering movement easing the car into corners
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 04:45
Would love to see some people’s thoughts on this new breed’s driving styles. Leclerc seems to be a similar driver to a Button/Kimi type, maybe Kimi moreso. Like that gentle steering movement easing the car into corners
He's actually more aggressive on the tyres and can deal with more oversteer so not like a Button / Vettel who need a stable rear end.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

Yeah I'd agree with that assessment.

I feel like Verstappen on the other hand has not got a really "default" ingrained style. Just watching his onboards from Free Practices, I see it quite a few times when he just does laps with different lines and styles lap by lap, seemingly just trying all the different styles and lines out and trying to figure out which is best for the particular car & setup for each corner
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

[media][/media]Just wondering, what is the forum's stance on Peter Windsor nowadays?

失败者找理由,成功者找方法