Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

I've put 40mm mirror height, crap. Close enough. Oh well, I'm making other corrections also for another CFD batch with bigger domain.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

MtthsMlw

Interesting cooling inlet for the blower. Or is this common?

AMuS

Mr.G

MtthsMlw wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 17:13
Interesting cooling inlet for the blower. Or is this common?

https://imgr4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/S ... 155219.jpg
AMuS
I think it was there before too since turbo era...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Mamba
Mamba

I read somewhere today that the general opinion is that Ferrari seem to be struggling with rear down force on the car. Could their diffuser concept change from last year be the issue or is the longer wheelbase really such a difficult thing to master (Merc did mostly get on top of their diva last year after a few races...)?

Cheers!

Vanja #66

Probably a bit of both. :) I think they will find some nice few tenths when they solve this issue.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

SiLo

i think Merc took quite a long time to get on top of it, but they built a car good enough that their engine could at least help with the rest. Plus they had Hamilton, which is essentially a joker card in qualifying.
Felipe Baby!

CriXus
CriXus

With the talk about Ferrari's missing downforce at the rear, could you say from the image that Merc front wing creates more downforce? Kimi's wing has curve and looks much smaller.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

GPR-A duplicate2

CriXus wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:08
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... 606-13.jpg

With the talk about Ferrari's missing downforce at the rear, could you say from the image that Merc front wing creates more downforce? Kimi's wing has curve and looks much smaller.
Both, rear wing and front wing of Ferrari has much higher AoA than that of Mercedes. I am unable to understand, why does the race thread has all this claims about Ferrari running trimmed wing levels! Can someone provide more details here?

CriXus
CriXus

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 16:17
Probably a bit of both. :) I think they will find some nice few tenths when they solve this issue.
I think Ferrari have +0.3 to +0.4 gap to Merc. Vettel said the same gap after the race.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

CriXus
CriXus

GPR-A wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:22
CriXus wrote:

Both, rear wing and front wing of Ferrari has much higher AoA than that of Mercedes. I am unable to understand, why does the race thread has all this claims about Ferrari running trimmed wing levels! Can someone provide more details here?
I agree for the rear wing, but not the front. I cannot see the higher AoA.

GPR-A duplicate2

CriXus wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:24
GPR-A wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:22
CriXus wrote:

I agree for the rear wing, but not the front. I cannot see the higher AoA.
If you carefully observe, you would see that Mercedes' 5 elements are not visible and you feel they only have four. This is a straight on angle and observe the Ferrari, you can see all the 5 elements. Look at the edges of the front wing and you will that they are much more raised. It's a different philosophy I understand, but still makes one believe that the Ferrari front wing is working much harder than that of Mercedes!

CriXus
CriXus

Quote from the Italian section of motorsport.com "the instability of the bottom in the rear has imposed the adoption of a front wing more discharged, as we already mentioned Saturday in the analysis after qualifying, in the attempt to find the best possible balance."
Ferrari analysis: lights and shadows after Vettel's victory in Australia
Last edited by CriXus on 26 Mar 2018, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

DiogoBrand

GPR-A wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:41
If you carefully observe, you would see that Mercedes' 5 elements are not visible and you feel they only have four. This is a straight on angle and observe the Ferrari, you can see all the 5 elements. Look at the edges of the front wing and you will that they are much more raised. It's a different philosophy I understand, but still makes one believe that the Ferrari front wing is working much harder than that of Mercedes!
I disagree. If you look at the tyre, Mercedes' wing covers the tyre almost up to the center, while Ferrari's is quite lower. I agree on the rear wing however, Ferrari's RW seems to have a larger frontal area than Mercedes. My guess is that their floor/diffuser isn't producing the expected downforce, so they run higher RW to compensate and lower FW to balance it out.

Can it have something to do with rake angle? Mercedes I believe runs the lowest rake angle of all teams, and I do believe that more rake pushes the center of pressure forward.

henra
henra

CriXus wrote:
Nice comparison.
Indeed it looks that Ferrari runs significantly less FW and at least the same amount if not more fo RW.
Looks alarming with regard to diffuser effectivity. A lot of work to do for the reds. Or to put it more positively: There is potential for significant gains.
I hope it's not due to their somewhat 'boxy'/steep coke bottle. Was a bit concerned when I first saw it. They had stagnation problem with a too boxy/steep coke bottle a couple years ago. Hopefully not a repeat.

CriXus
CriXus

DiogoBrand wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 19:08
GPR-A wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:41
I disagree. If you look at the tyre, Mercedes' wing covers the tyre almost up to the center, while Ferrari's is quite lower. I agree on the rear wing however, Ferrari's RW seems to have a larger frontal area than Mercedes. My guess is that their floor/diffuser isn't producing the expected downforce, so they run higher RW to compensate and lower FW to balance it out.

Can it have something to do with rake angle? Mercedes I believe runs the lowest rake angle of all teams, and I do believe that more rake pushes the center of pressure forward.
Ferrari lowered their rake too. It had less rake in Australia than the first test in Barcelona.