2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dren

Re: 2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

bill shoe wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 03:14
I'm amazed that perhaps one or two of the current team were with the team when I saw the Las Vegas Grand Prix in the parking lot of Caesar's Palace in 1981. Is it possible that the team culture is too traditional, or at least that the old-school culture is not meshing with the newer technical people? I'm guessing out loud here, but a highly experienced team can be a blessing if they're good or a curse if they need big change.

I think the performance results for the last 2 or 3 seasons have been getting worse in a way that can't be explained by the simple budget/drivers/engine/etc. Somehow, Williams are not making effective use of the resources they have.
This was an eye opener to me when I read Newey's book. I was surprised at how different the cultures were between teams.
Honda!

Big Tea

As much as I like Robert Kubica I believe his continued association with the team is damaging.

They tried him out and for what ever reason decided against giving him the seat, so now he should be cut loose and Williams get on with what they need to do.

They have the driver pairing they have so anything else is just getting in the way and no doubt causing internal disagreement.

Not saying it his his fault or that he is being political, but they have enough problems without the distraction of maybe/maybe not drivers even when their opinion is asked of them.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dren

Teams carry reserve and development drivers. I see no reason to get rid of Kubica.
Honda!

Big Tea

dren wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 15:11
Teams carry reserve and development drivers. I see no reason to get rid of Kubica.

Nothing wrong with RK, nice guy good driver, but it must be a distraction to not only the team but the drivers too.
It must be like having the proverbial specter looking over your shoulder for them, and they could be disagreements where to go with setup with RK no doubt being the quicker, but his likes not being what the other drivers are comfortable with. And I think at this point driver preference will bring bigger rewards than computer simulation results, which of course will be essential when they are looking for the extra second, but they are way off that right now.

pgj
pgj

I don't see why Robert is disrupting things at Williams. He is ourmost experienced driver. He was never my first choice but he will be invaluable if we are going to get anywhere with solving and understanding the problems with this car.
Williams and proud of it.

pgj
pgj

dren wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 13:11
bill shoe wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 03:14
I'm amazed that perhaps one or two of the current team were with the team when I saw the Las Vegas Grand Prix in the parking lot of Caesar's Palace in 1981. Is it possible that the team culture is too traditional, or at least that the old-school culture is not meshing with the newer technical people? I'm guessing out loud here, but a highly experienced team can be a blessing if they're good or a curse if they need big change.

I think the performance results for the last 2 or 3 seasons have been getting worse in a way that can't be explained by the simple budget/drivers/engine/etc. Somehow, Williams are not making effective use of the resources they have.
This was an eye opener to me when I read Newey's book. I was surprised at how different the cultures were between teams.
Anything is possible. We saw the step backwards that Macca took when Ron returned. He stripped out Martin's management structure and placed everything under one person again. A step back to the 80's.

I am not enthused by what I have seen in the way of management decision making recently. Other than anything to do with the halo, any decisions that have been taken were a collective management decision. Where Macca took a step backwards in terms of management structure, I am not sure we ever took a step forwards. That was the start of our troubles with BMW when Dr Mario tried to instigate changes at Williams. We also missed the opportunity to change when Totto had a shareholding.

dren

Big Tea wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 20:36
dren wrote:

Nothing wrong with RK, nice guy good driver, but it must be a distraction to not only the team but the drivers too.
It must be like having the proverbial specter looking over your shoulder for them, and they could be disagreements where to go with setup with RK no doubt being the quicker, but his likes not being what the other drivers are comfortable with. And I think at this point driver preference will bring bigger rewards than computer simulation results, which of course will be essential when they are looking for the extra second, but they are way off that right now.
Everything I've read about Kubica is that he's great at developing a car with the engineers. That can only help. Plus, if he is true competition for a drive, it's only a good thing, too. From all of my competitive sports years, it only forced me to get better.
Honda!

pgj
pgj

dren wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 12:14
Big Tea wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 20:36
dren wrote:

Everything I've read about Kubica is that he's great at developing a car with the engineers. That can only help. Plus, if he is true competition for a drive, it's only a good thing, too. From all of my competitive sports years, it only forced me to get better.
+1

sprint car76
sprint car76

Everybody loves kubica, (including me) he's not the problem. It seems to be an aero problem that they can't seem to get a handle on. Drivers don't solve aero problems, engineers do. They have had this problem since they started testing. Not an easy problem to solve.

dren

Driver feedback helps the engineers figure out what the aero is doing compared to what they expect. The more detailed the feedback the better for the engineers.
Honda!

pgj
pgj

I am not so sure the problems we have with the car are solely aerodynamic. I watched every minute of practice last week. On Friday one of the Williams' was on a slow lap on the racing line at a corner. Bottas' lap was ruined. The next day at the same corner, Bottas did the same thing to a red bull at the same corner. Both incidents were at very low speed. The Williams had its unloaded wheel in the air whereas the merc still had three quarters of its tyre on the track. Our car looked ugly.

dren

It's hard to tell exactly what it is. If the car is bad on entry, mid corner, and exit, all showing different traits, I'd guess they have unstable aero, but it's only a guess. The car's aero concept is new this year for them, so that's where I'd put my money. I hope they get it sorted sooner than later.
Honda!

netoperek
netoperek

A quick roundup of what I read about Williams today. Paddy has just admitted, that having 2 unexperienced drivers is whats holding problem solving process back. There are also voices suggesting, that there really is a confilict in Williams with an atmosphere in Grove being rather tense atm, which pushed Lowe to change his plans and set back to Grove to deal with it. According to italian motorsport, there is also a group in Williams that would like to see Robert in a car as soon,as china FP1 to see in what shape the car really is, but the opposing force says it won't happen as that would "destabilise" the young drivers.

Big Tea

I also believe there is a conflict in Williams. Not the one Vielnerf would have us believe, but related to the old adage of too many cooks.

Paddy says inexperienced drivers, OK by some standards, but Stroll has a full season under his belt now.
It seems everyone is looking to Robert just waiting for him to get involved. The tec side and the drivers, but the tec seem to want it, the drivers obviously not as one would have to make way.

Williams should bite the bullet and take a chance on him, or else release him. Its not his fault, he is being a racing driver, the problem is the indecision within management and the possible messiah complex of having someone who could sort it all out for them if only they would give him a drive.

Having said that, the car is well behind the curve irrespective of drivers.

kalinka
kalinka

I guess Stroll's father forced them into some contract small letters that somehow prevents RK's showing in free practices. Maybe he can be used on an official event only if one of the drivers are unable to drive...or something similar. Benefits of having pay drivers....