2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
giantfan10
giantfan10

Re: 2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 13:56
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 10:52
Interesting that Mercedes silver qualifying bullet seems to have shifted over to Ferrari. I still think that Mercedes will have a slight edge on race pace especially on the Mediums, and with Ferrari needing more fuel saving.

Hamilton needs a good start though so he can stay close to Vettel, with the Redbulls behind that's going to be difficult, it's not inconceivable that they could get among the Ferraris as well over the first few laps but it will be short lived.

I Hope its close race like the last one.
Interesting point. The Ferraris are starting on softs right? So Mercedes should be able to attack in the first laps if they can keep the bulls of their backs.
Mercedes would be better served with their eyes on their rear view Mirrors... Both Ferraris and Mercedes are on soft tires... the 2 bulls are on supersoft with 2 aggressive drivers......

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

You know what, I started to think ferrari engine might be more powerful. :)

LM10
LM10

foxmulder_ms wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 16:20
I think Ferrari has done an overall good job. It was correct, it seems, that the SF71H has much potential, as it's been claimed from Ferrari side.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

LM10 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 16:32
foxmulder_ms wrote:
I think Ferrari has done an overall good job. It was correct, it seems, that the SF71H has much potential, as it's been claimed from Ferrari side.
I think that is clear. Even if Mercedes end up the over all faster car (yet to be seen) Ferrari is riiiiiight there. Pretty sweet after the relative obscurity they’ve been in since 2009 really. I think Binotto is a great asset and I hope they’re throwing money at him to keep him there and keep him happy.

I’m just curious though - it doesn’t appear as though any major upgrades are attributable to the performance increase since Australia. Could anyone speculate on why? Getting on top of setup - but what does that mean in practice? I ask as someone interested, with no technical knowledge.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

/Tinfoil hat mode on

It's all just a deal with Liberty Media, Merc is tuned down so Ferrari gets a chance,
at the end of the year Liberty will once again sabotage Ferrari so Merc wins and nobody suspects a thing :D

/tinfoil hat mode off

:D just kidding. we all know the truth though:

/conspiracy mode on

Ross Brawn @ Liberty Media offcourse let's Ferrari win after his former own team has gotten 4 WCC

/conspiracy mode off

ok so in all seriousness,

yeah, i'm glad to see a versatile powerful Ferrari. I do feel a bit gutted that Kimi didn't get pole, he was absolutely outstanding. I'm sure Ferrari has their money on Vettel,
but i'd really like to see Kimi win this one.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

TheFluffy
TheFluffy

Manoah2u wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 17:57
/Tinfoil hat mode on

It's all just a deal with Liberty Media, Merc is tuned down so Ferrari gets a chance,
at the end of the year Liberty will once again sabotage Ferrari so Merc wins and nobody suspects a thing :D

/tinfoil hat mode off

/conspiracy mode on

Ross Brawn @ Liberty Media offcourse let's Ferrari win after his former own team has gotten 4 WCC

/conspiracy mode off

yeah, i'm glad to see a versatile powerful Ferrari. I do feel a bit gutted that Kimi didn't get pole, he was absolutely outstanding. I'm sure Ferrari has their money on Vettel,
What have they done currently that showed that they are putting their money on Vettel? As much as I believe it will be the case later in the season when Seb outscore him but I think some conspiracy criticism of Ferrari backing only Seb is unjustified.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Manoah2u wrote:
I do feel a bit gutted that Kimi didn't get pole, he was absolutely outstanding.
He was outstanding, sadly for him Vettel was more-outstanding. It's doing Vettel a bit of a disservice to think the slower of two guys in identical machinery deserves to be in front :D

FLuidd
FLuidd

JPBD1990 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 17:34
LM10 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 16:32
foxmulder_ms wrote:
I think that is clear. Even if Mercedes end up the over all faster car (yet to be seen) Ferrari is riiiiiight there. Pretty sweet after the relative obscurity they’ve been in since 2009 really. I think Binotto is a great asset and I hope they’re throwing money at him to keep him there and keep him happy.

I’m just curious though - it doesn’t appear as though any major upgrades are attributable to the performance increase since Australia. Could anyone speculate on why? Getting on top of setup - but what does that mean in practice? I ask as someone interested, with no technical knowledge.
1. Setup
2. Confidence in car
3. Melbourne is not representative
4. Mercedes is horrible on the softer tyres
5.Ferrari is starting to understand their new concept, which makes to think they will be using an evolution to this years car next year and they will be strong.

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
/Tinfoil hat mode on

/tinfoil hat mode off

/conspiracy mode on

/conspiracy mode off

But this does not explain the sudden thrust to the front line of Honda in the last race and Haas in this one.
It can not, ---- Oh, hang on..
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

Qualifying disparity is easy and clear as day, the cold weather meant some people could switch the tires on, and others couldn't. The Mercedes race pace should worry Ferrari, especially as this circuit has a very long straight, and passing is possible. I still think Hamilton has a chance to win this one, I wouldn't say he needs it, but a win on the board would mean game on. Again a lot of cars qualified out of position due to the very cold temperatures, tomorrow at the very least track temperatures will be higher so combined with the low ambient temperatures and lower humidity the pace of the cars could be very different in the race.
Saishū kōnā

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Chuckjr

Wow. Brand new set of softs for both Ferraris. Ferrari is killing it this year. Hats off to them. Times have changed. Well done.
Watching F1 since 1986.

reaper663
reaper663

So Stroll now has no spinning Leclerc to hide that his teammate is matching him and beating him at one lap pace. Williams looked a bit better than Bahrain in qualifying and if Sirotkin improves in the race, top 15 is possible on pace maybe. Does anybody have times on Sirotkin's long runs in free practice?

Vanja #66

godlameroso wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 19:16
I wouldn't say he needs it, but a win on the board would mean game on.
Statistics would say Hamilton may not need to win, but he needs Seb not to win. Every driver who won first 3 races of the season would go on to win the world championship.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

siskue2005

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 20:08
godlameroso wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 19:16
I wouldn't say he needs it, but a win on the board would mean game on.
Statistics would say Hamilton may not need to win, but he needs Seb not to win. Every driver who won first 3 races of the season would go on to win the world championship.
yes that stat was true when they only had 16 to 17 races per year...but now with 21 races it is consistency in the entire season which counts