2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

sosic2121 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:55
Chene_Mostert wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 09:54
Stupid stupid strategy by Ferrari. If they want to win this they will need to become pro active and not reactive in pit stops.
Cool and calm overtaking from Ric... well done! =D> A lot more race craft than his Fish mouth team mate.
I really can't understand what were they trying to do!?
Maybe I can understand that Bottas surprised them with incredible lap, but what were they trying to achieve with kimi!?
Also, I have to say, Vettel brought this on himself! After a bad start he squeezed Kimi, and that gave Bottas P2.
If it was Ferrari P1 and P2 it would be totally different race for them.
I gotta say, I was watching it and thinking the undercut was covered off - 3.5s should usually be enough.

I didn’t get a good picture of whether Bottas reduced the gap on his in-lap or how good his out lap was, so presumably a combination of the two - and maybe Vettel starting to struggle on the softs - was enough, but not going to pretend that I personally saw it coming.

What I don’t think is particularly valid is Ted’s contention that a 2.8 second pit stop cost him much if anything - didn’t see the time for Bottas but would be surprised if it was a significant factor and still think it was right to make certain with the tyres after last week.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

George-Jung wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:58
Max sure f*cked up big time today- what a shame, he could have won this race.. but surely he threw away an easy 1-2.

Hamilton very lucky with what happend to Vettel.. otherwise Vettel would have still increased the gap.
Lady luck can be very fickle.

sosic2121
sosic2121

ripper wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:50
They couldn't be harder with VER, consistency is what we need from stewards. They gave 10 seconds to Toro Rosso driver and gave same penalty to Verstappen, correct decision in my opinion.
agreed!
it's just that he made a big impact on race and championship results today, and as a ferrari fan I am disgusted.

JonoNic

RIC already has 10% of Hamilton's career victories 🤣

If he gets to a top team with a top PU...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

ripper
ripper

As a Ferrari fan myself I can't be happy, but I find the decision correct by the stewards. Acting differently because it was VET or VES would have been a very bad error and a bad message to everyone.

Juzh

sosic2121 wrote:
Also, I have to say, Vettel brought this on himself! After a bad start he squeezed Kimi, and that gave Bottas P2.
So now vettel should be responsible for Raikkonen starts lol? You seriously believe drivers at the start think of anyone else but themselves? Raikkonen didn't have the pace in the first place anyway.

Juzh

f1316 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 11:02
sosic2121 wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:
Stupid stupid strategy by Ferrari. If they want to win this they will need to become pro active and not reactive in pit stops.
Cool and calm overtaking from Ric... well done! =D> A lot more race craft than his Fish mouth team mate.
Maybe I can understand that Bottas surprised them with incredible lap, but what were they trying to achieve with kimi!?
I gotta say, I was watching it and thinking the undercut was covered off - 3.5s should usually be enough.

I didn’t get a good picture of whether Bottas reduced the gap on his in-lap or how good his out lap was, so presumably a combination of the two - and maybe Vettel starting to struggle on the softs - was enough, but not going to pretend that I personally saw it coming.

What I don’t think is particularly valid is Ted’s contention that a 2.8 second pit stop cost him much if anything - didn’t see the time for Bottas but would be surprised if it was a significant factor and still think it was right to make certain with the tyres after last week.
Bottas entered pits with a 3.1s deficit. He then did 1.5s faster S2 and 1.2s faster S3 (based on previous laps) than Vettel who was yet to pit. I suspect he probably gained at least 0.5s in S1 as wel (also based on previous lap).
So yeah, undercut was worth more than 3s in this case.

matt_b
matt_b

f1316 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 11:02
sosic2121 wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:

Sebs in-lap sectors 26.629 29.988 47.519 he didn't have the tyres left to react because he was pushing hard in that opening stint to get a gap.

LM10
LM10

In Australia Max damaged his car, in Bahrain he crashed into a car destroying his own race and in China he crashed again, but this time also destroying the race of another driver. 3 out of 3 races were not driven properly by this kid.
If he keeps on being that aggressive he will not do himself a favour. What's more, crashing into other cars on a regular basis will at one point put pressure on him as other teams/drivers will get to a limit with their patience.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

The irony that has been missed is that Verstappen actually caused both Vettel and Hamilton to lose places in his nutcase move. Hamilton had to take evasive action off the track which let Raikkonen through.

Don't get me wrong Vettel lost far more but Verstappen managed to cause both of the 4 time WDC's issues in 1 idiotic move.

Bear in mind that Verstappen had also tried a brain dead move in an impossible place on Hamilton only a few laps earlier. Does he never learn?

CreepierEnd
CreepierEnd

Poleman wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:15
JPBD1990 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:10
Poleman wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:07
Despite all the happenings in the race Ferrari didnt really make an impression in race pace today as many of us believed after qualy...What an unpredictable race at the end and to be fair as much as i love Danny Ric this idolizing from SKY commentary made me cringe,guy was on much fresher tyres on his moves plus the guys ahead were smart to back off or else kaboom...Anyways on to Baku!
Ferrari and Mercedes were neck and neck on pace. Redbull lucked into the win with the timing of the safety car. Not sure what you’re talking about...
We are saying the same thing, what i was trying to point is that Ferrari didnt have a huge advantage in pace (if any advantage at all) over Mercedes after yesterday's qualy speculation.Cheers :)
Ferrari seems to have an advantage in race pace. Vettel was able to build a gap and control the race. Bottas in the other hand, could not shake Vettel away until the saftey car came out. Ferrari should of pitted Vettel sooner.

NathanOlder

f1316 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 09:50
JonoNic wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 09:35
f1316 wrote:10 seconds! That’s ludicrous! He cost Vettel more than 10 seconds. Ridiculous - just slamming into people and basically getting away with it.
Let it go. Vettel did the same last year

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
If you’re talking about Baku, it was a drive through - bigger punishment.

It’s not just about this incident anyway, it’s hitting Hamilton last week, trying round the outside of Hamilton at a corner where it wasn’t going to happen this week - he needs to calm down. He’s like Marquez, there’s a real sense of entitlement.
+1 both will hurt someone one day if they don't lose this trait
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Chene_Mostert wrote:
Last line made me laugh lol
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

sosic2121
sosic2121

Juzh wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 11:13
sosic2121 wrote:
So now vettel should be responsible for Raikkonen starts lol? You seriously believe drivers at the start think of anyone else but themselves? Raikkonen didn't have the pace in the first place anyway.
IMO he should think more about Kimi! He needs kimi next him if he's going to take the championship this year.

NathanOlder

Mansell89 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:09
Ferrari’s treatment of Kimi today was probably more disappointing to me than all of the other things today. What an absolutely awful way to treat their driver, 3 races in after he’s driven pretty beautifully every weekend so far.
Very much so. And people still will say Bottas is used to help Hamilton as much as Ferrari do with Rai helping Vet.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.