2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
matt_b
matt_b

Re: 2018 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 13-15

Mandrake wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 15:15
matt_b wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:19
henra wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:00

Yup. When asked in the post race interview what annoyed him most, their strategy or Max's attack he said that it was their mistake with the pit stop strategy.
Seb had a 3.2 second lead and boxed straight after Bottas, they didn't leave him out for 2 more laps. Ferrari thought the gap would be enough to react but Seb didn't have the tyres left and Bottas did a phenomenal outlap. I think a lack of communication on tyre life around that point let them down probably trying to keep it quiet from mercedes but mercedes just went for it.
I am still absolutely baffled. They saw what the Red Bulls were able to do, laptime wise with the mediums and they still didn't get the trick...
If you look at Ric pitting first, he was 1.5 behind Lewis. Mercedes reacted and Lewis still came out in front after his stop. Ferrari would've thought 3.2 was enough at the time, I think that was possibly their rationale behind reacting.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

matt_b wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 16:02
Mandrake wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 15:15
matt_b wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:19

Seb had a 3.2 second lead and boxed straight after Bottas, they didn't leave him out for 2 more laps. Ferrari thought the gap would be enough to react but Seb didn't have the tyres left and Bottas did a phenomenal outlap. I think a lack of communication on tyre life around that point let them down probably trying to keep it quiet from mercedes but mercedes just went for it.
I am still absolutely baffled. They saw what the Red Bulls were able to do, laptime wise with the mediums and they still didn't get the trick...
If you look at Ric pitting first, he was 1.5 behind Lewis. Mercedes reacted and Lewis still came out in front after his stop. Ferrari would've thought 3.2 was enough at the time, I think that was possibly their rationale behind reacting.
Ric was stuck behind Mag after his pitstop that's why Lewis came out ahead of him.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

NathanOlder

fabian77 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 14:24
NathanOlder wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 14:01
JonoNic wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 11:11
RIC already has 10% of Hamilton's career victories 🤣

If he gets to a top team with a top PU...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Indeed. Although only 10% of his victories having competed in about 60% of the races. So he's well off target that way :lol:
He wasn't lucky to start his career in a championship winning car like Lewis did.
Lewis wasn't lucky, he fully deserved a top car and that was justified in his performance that year. How many drivers won every series they ever entered ? Lewis did and deserved a top car so it wasn't lucky.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Mansell89
Mansell89

JonoNic wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:12
Mansell89 wrote:Ferrari’s treatment of Kimi today was probably more disappointing to me than all of the other things today. What an absolutely awful way to treat their driver, 3 races in after he’s driven pretty beautifully every weekend so far.
You have double standards...

Bit confused with this- have I said something opposite to my point of view previously or something?

Sevach
Sevach

Vettel is questioning the timing of the SC.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vett ... r-1026670/

NathanOlder

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 15:23
Restomaniac wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 11:23
The irony that has been missed is that Verstappen actually caused both Vettel and Hamilton to lose places in his nutcase move. Hamilton had to take evasive action off the track which let Raikkonen through.

Don't get me wrong Vettel lost far more but Verstappen managed to cause both of the 4 time WDC's issues in 1 idiotic move.

Bear in mind that Verstappen had also tried a brain dead move in an impossible place on Hamilton only a few laps earlier. Does he never learn?
Apart from that Verstappen was too 'greedy' today, you're blowing things out of proportion.

Verstappens move on Ham was far from brain-dead, it was a phenomenal move but Lewis i'd say actually pulled a really d*ck move on Max which was left completely unattended and quite frankly set a stage.

If you actually have the b*lls to objectively and calmly look at that move of verstappen on Hamilton, then you would have noticed that verstappen was alongside hamilton, when all of a sudden, Hamilton's car made a sudden frisky move to the right, which Max had to evade and sent him off track which then saw Ricciardo pass him.

Hamilton had the line completely under control, and in my opinion, pushed him off track deliberately. there was no braking problems for Lewis, there was no loss of grip, it was a clear signal to Max that he wasn't making it easy on him, in my opinion, a rather ***hole move, especially since Max' front wheels far passed Lewis rear wheels in the corner so Lewis was actually oblidged to leave him space - which he actually totally did not. Apart from all of that,
the outside line was dirty too so there was no grip for Max to respond to Lewis suddenly moving towards him.
even if it wasn't delibarate at all, that doesn't make it a brain-dead move. the only braindead move i saw today
was that of Gasly on Hartley.

To me it looked like Max just lost the rear and after saving the car had no choice but to run wide. I will need to see it again, but i thought Lewis left room. Going to the outside of the track at that point was madness with the marbles.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SiLo

How Mercedes didn't pit Hamilton I will never know. As soon as I saw safety car on the screen and Bottas and Vettel going through the last turn I literally shouted at the TV for him to pit. Think he would have come out in front of Kimi as well. Smh
Felipe Baby!

JonoNic

Mansell89 wrote:
Bit confused with this- have I said something opposite to my point of view previously or something?
Is it fine when Mercedes uses Bottas in that way but it's diabolical if Ferrari uses Raikkonen?

Always find the gap then use it.

zeph
zeph

Seems to me Mercedes needs better strategists.

I guess they are used to having a superior car which gives them a wider margin for error. Now that Ferrari and RBR are closer these calls need to spot on.

RZS10

Manoah2u wrote:
Hamilton [...] pushed him off track deliberately. Lewis was actually oblidged to leave him space - which he actually totally did not.
Max had ~3 car widths to the right, plenty of space.

He did not show constraint/patience, went for a high risk move and it failed.

what you should do:
1. Watch Vettels pole onboard and look for the moment he starts moving to the right in that corner (tip: it's half way between the piece of tarmac and the end of the wall marked in orange)
2. Watch Verstappen's onboard and look for the moment Hamilton starts moving to the right.

Hamilton followed the normal line through there.

Remember Vettel/Stroll after the race last year? It looked as if Stroll just drove into him without turning, but once you had the other cameras it was a very different story.

Those onboards make it look as if the other cars move towards the one you 'sit' in when it's not necessarily the case
Last edited by RZS10 on 15 Apr 2018, 17:46, edited 2 times in total.

Vettel165

Well I have to say I feel a little bit better now to see that not just the Ferrari strategy team was having a lot of "brainfarts" today but also Mercedes. They were all just stupid today, the only strategy that did work today was the strategy by Bottas. Hamilton, Vettel, Kimi were all compromised. Seb still leading the WDC after 3 races is still a good sign for Ferrari, yes he could have a lot more points after today, but I really want to see a pure battle for WDC between Seb and Hamilton just like last year. Hamilton is a great driver, I always see that even as a big Vettel (I respect him a lot), Ferrari fan that he is amazing in qualy and in his overtaking. After 3 races looks like he is faling slowly into the "used of domination trap", just like Seb did after his 2010-13 years. Its hard to get the motivation back if you know that the other car is maybe faster. But I am sure Lewis will strike back hard already next race, I hope we will see a big clash for pole between Ferrari, Mercedes drivers. I also think Ferrari will be very strong on that S3 (the longest straight). Bring it on, 14 days its a long time, hope that this time will pass fast.

Forza Ferrari!!
Last edited by Vettel165 on 15 Apr 2018, 18:07, edited 2 times in total.

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

NathanOlder wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 17:04
Manoah2u wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 11:23
The irony that has been missed is that Verstappen actually caused both Vettel and Hamilton to lose places in his nutcase move. Hamilton had to take evasive action off the track which let Raikkonen through.

Don't get me wrong Vettel lost far more but Verstappen managed to cause both of the 4 time WDC's issues in 1 idiotic move.

Bear in mind that Verstappen had also tried a brain dead move in an impossible place on Hamilton only a few laps earlier. Does he never learn?
Apart from that Verstappen was too 'greedy' today, you're blowing things out of proportion.

Verstappens move on Ham was far from brain-dead, it was a phenomenal move but Lewis i'd say actually pulled a really d*ck move on Max which was left completely unattended and quite frankly set a stage.

If you actually have the b*lls to objectively and calmly look at that move of verstappen on Hamilton, then you would have noticed that verstappen was alongside hamilton, when all of a sudden, Hamilton's car made a sudden frisky move to the right, which Max had to evade and sent him off track which then saw Ricciardo pass him.

Hamilton had the line completely under control, and in my opinion, pushed him off track deliberately. there was no braking problems for Lewis, there was no loss of grip, it was a clear signal to Max that he wasn't making it easy on him, in my opinion, a rather ***hole move, especially since Max' front wheels far passed Lewis rear wheels in the corner so Lewis was actually oblidged to leave him space - which he actually totally did not. Apart from all of that,
the outside line was dirty too so there was no grip for Max to respond to Lewis suddenly moving towards him.
even if it wasn't delibarate at all, that doesn't make it a brain-dead move. the only braindead move i saw today

To me it looked like Max just lost the rear and after saving the car had no choice but to run wide. I will need to see it again, but i thought Lewis left room. Going to the outside of the track at that point was madness with the marbles.
Indeed, he even said so himself too many marbles and lost traction:
https://www.ziggosport.nl/fragment/5957 ... a-mp4.html

(Dutch interview :P )

I know I'm impatience, but **** Verstappen's performance today truly hurt. Been a fan of him since he started F1, but his actions today (incl. the remark to Hamilton) were just painful to watch and unneeded :(
The Dutch reporter asked him why he's so impatient... he didn't know yet, better find out this year.

De Jokke

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 15:52
De Jokke wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 15:38

Reverse the situation: how many times has max done this to others was Lewis did today + what do you expect after bahrain (that he waves him through?). Good to see Lewis giving max a taste of his own medicine.
vengeance is never a good thing. doesn't take away that indeed Max has caused similar issues with other drivers,
simply pointing out that it's not as fairdinkum bad all the way for Verstappen.
Please quit the whining over that rbr engine, they have a renault: deal with it. Horner and marko have put themselves in this situation that they're into.
there's no whining, it's the cold hard truth. they are dealing with it but the fact remains the same.
Ferrari has managed to pick up the pace and have an engine that is on par or perhaps even surpassing that of Mercedes by now. Meanwhile, Renault is still out in the dry. At the very least, both FER and MER have qually mode, Renault does not. That is of no fault of RB, that is purely down to Renault, and RB is paying the price for that.

And no, Marko and Horner did NOT put themselves into that situation. Renault singlehandedly dropped the ball in 2014. The only blame for RB is that they did not politically respond to that situation correctly. But that does not take away Renault gigantically dropped the ball, just as Honda is still behind.

Horner and Marko did not make the Renault engine, Renault did. and we're 4 years on now and the Renault engine is still miles behind.

Hence if Renault actually had qually mode, they could have been in the battle for pole, which makes all the difference for the race itself. It is without any doubt that RedBulls race craft is very impressive, and is quite frankly exceeding that of Ferrari and Mercedes.
Ow come on, Horner trashed renault, it's always rbr when they win and when it's bad: it's renault's fault. Abiteboul was also fed up with this. That's also the reason why wolff refused to give engines: the way rbr treats their partner, simply disgusting. They even had to beg renault to take them back after pouring loads of critics over them.
Let them change to Honda, hopefully they'll sink even deeper, which will teach that sad loser a lesson in dignity.
Last edited by De Jokke on 15 Apr 2018, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

George-Jung
George-Jung

ArcticWolfie wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 17:45
NathanOlder wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 17:04
Manoah2u wrote:

Indeed, he even said so himself too many marbles and lost traction:
https://www.ziggosport.nl/fragment/5957 ... a-mp4.html

(Dutch interview :P )

I know I'm impatience, but **** Verstappen's performance today truly hurt. Been a fan of him since he started F1, but his actions today (incl. the remark to Hamilton) were just painful to watch and unneeded :(
The Dutch reporter asked him why he's so impatient... he didn't know yet, better find out this year.
Same, I am a huge fan of Verstappen as well- but today he trully f*cked up big time..

Sometimes you need to think a few steps further- he threw away a win and a 1-2 for RBR.

Nevertheless I still believe in him- and this race result will open his eyes.. he has no other to blame than himself.

marvin78
marvin78

He had a few races like that. When does the eyes opening happen? ;) But today was indeed different. He saw his error. Now the development to a real race driver and not glory driver can begin. This will result in less spectakular races but it will be good for him.