2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:26
max_speed wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:18
watching Alonso (mclaren) pass vettel (Ferrari) was moment of the day for me. Alonso was again mega today. Vandoorne must go , he cause mclaren double point finish after race restart.
That's a bit premature and unfair. Stoffel is up against Fernando, look at Grosjean today, he's vastly improved from his early struggles. He's evolved into a good driver. How many times has Stoffel crashed out or spun out. He brings the car home. The speed will come, he is a very good driver, level headed and no drama.
We all know that he's gonna be here all year..what is the point in making comments like that when he'll be evaluated on the whole year.

Also...there isn't a huge chance that his replacement will hit the ground running.

diffuser

proteus wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:50
victoriawan wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:38
proteus wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 12:18

Please can u stop with comments like this? If the car and the team would be completely useless, then he would not score those results. He is a great driver indeed, but he aint a superman. And there is another thing as well. He is the lead driver in the team and he tends to demand from every team to listen to him and develop the car to suit him best. And to be honest, majority of cars he influenced somewhat lacked top performance (dating back to his Ferrari career).
this is the funniest thing i've read today. Especially that last sentence was hilarious on a new level. XD
U can comfortably laugh about it, but the design of the car is based on the drivers driving style and preferences.
Oh. Not this again.....

Ground Effect

dr_cooke wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:45
Bisonas wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:28
Boring first half of the race.
Very nice second half.
Mclarens race pace is very good. Similar to Renault or slightly better.
But if you lack top speed and you also have issues on qualifying then its most certain you will get stack behind a slower car with superior engine most of the times.

Alonso after passing MAG was like a dog that you through him a bone. Was never gonna let the pleasure of passing Vetel to slip for him :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
To bad he missed 6th place to Verstapen for 0.206s .He did tried get back in to the 10 sec gap at the last 2 laps.
Getting 6th from Verstappen would have been a perfect result for Alonso.

But Mclaren can't get the new nose soon enough. That top speed/drag issues are a killer. Even worst than the Qually issues.
Actually he finished the race 20+seconds behind Verstappen. He could have never catched him. That +10.2 is already penalty corrected.

Changing subject, I read in a completely non trustable Spanish newspaper that McL expects -1s from the new nose alone. That would be a heck of an update if true
1sec improvement from the nose??? That seems quite a lot.. did happen to Diario Gol?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

PhillipM

It'd be the whole package that comes with it.

fouad1979

Marca newspaper are always well informed about mclaren because of Alonso they mentioned that in the simulator its 1 s faster with the new nose and the updates in the rear of the car !

fellowhoodlums

1s is a great improvement from the package lets hope it's next race but most probably Spain. Unfortunately that's when everyone else usually targets for big aero updates too.

Alonso wrestles the best out a car and we know is a great starter. Great drivers do that. Some suggest it's luck 'cos we got Alonso, ok but then if McLaren want to mix it up at the front then Stroll or Hulkenberg ain't gonna cut it.

The car is good except in quali. If that could be sorted then they are in an good place to move forward......but it really is a dog of a qualifier car.

marvin78

ecodelta wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 19:40
Alonso Fan wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 18:16
I just watched the race and and my only noteworthy assessment was: blimey Alonso really doesn't like Vettel does he?
Alonso has his reasons for that....
Which are?

fouad1979

The mclaren is struggling in quali because they dont put the tyre in the right window they dont put enough heat in the tyres its why in the race they are a lot stronger with the full tank !

willmesquita

McL-H wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 16:25
Still waiting for Eric’s head to roll. This is not good enough for a team like McLaren. Seventh place is all down to luck with the SC, otherwise points would not have been possible today.

Embarrassing performance... McLaren’s should be far in front of midfield at this stage. Should be challenging top 3 halfway during the season. Time to act, time to put an accomplished leader at the position of EB and to kick the marketing goerroe out and replace him with someone who knows how to manage a race team.

I feel as if this is all karma for sacking Ron Dennis. Must be hard for him seeing these incompetent fools destroying what’s left of the McLaren name.
Not factual as SC was bad for Alonso's strategy.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

makecry

McL-H wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 16:25
Still waiting for Eric’s head to roll. This is not good enough for a team like McLaren. Seventh place is all down to luck with the SC, otherwise points would not have been possible today.

Embarrassing performance... McLaren’s should be far in front of midfield at this stage. Should be challenging top 3 halfway during the season. Time to act, time to put an accomplished leader at the position of EB and to kick the marketing goerroe out and replace him with someone who knows how to manage a race team.

I feel as if this is all karma for sacking Ron Dennis. Must be hard for him seeing these incompetent fools destroying what’s left of the McLaren name.
You can't be serious right? SC meant they missed out on a certain P6.

Benii6

Does anybody have an idea if the new nose (update) will help with the quali pace i.e. getting the tyres to work? I would imagine so, since nose directly affects front downforce. It's a shame they have to start so low on the grid, considering their race pace is ''only'' a good second off the front runners.

fouad1979

Benii6 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 21:05
Does anybody have an idea if the new nose (update) will help with the quali pace i.e. getting the tyres to work? I would imagine so, since nose directly affects front downforce. It's a shame they have to start so low on the grid, considering their race pace is ''only'' a good second off the front runners.
Spain its the real start for them its their they ll know where their place in the standing just behind the top 3 or not

FrukostScones

marvin78 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 20:36
ecodelta wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 19:40
Alonso Fan wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 18:16
I just watched the race and and my only noteworthy assessment was: blimey Alonso really doesn't like Vettel does he?
Alonso has his reasons for that....
Which are?
We are not allowed to say. ( but it has something to do with calling a bluff.)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

marvin78

Help me. I normally don't follow this driver stuff and mostly BS. But it sounds as Vettel did something really bad.

Dr.mclaren

fouad1979 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 21:10
Benii6 wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 21:05
Spain its the real start for them its their they ll know where their place in the standing just behind the top 3 or not
I think we won't see the real McLaren until Silverstone, and they'll fight the top 3 in Hungary most probably!