2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Alonso Fan

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Meeting their target and not being aggressive enough is easy to understand. They met their targets in testing of how much downforce they were making and getting the renault running reliably. There, target achieved.

Little did they know their target was wrong and set too low so now after a couple of races they know where they are in the pecking order and with hindsight EB is saying they weren't aggressive enough. It's very easy to understand.

Emergency meeting was for the shareholders because the race was in Bahrain. Only the media labelled it an emergency meeting afaik. If the race was elsewhere I doubt there would have been any meeting at all. If it was that serious they would have had one this race too

I agree they are not where they should be. But they basically still have last years car. Updates are overdue. I hope something will come to Baku but I fear it will be only at Barcelona where everyone else will also have something.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Macklaren

rogazilla wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 14:26
Answer to previous about why EB needs to go. To casual fans who watch the race only, may not be that obvious but it is different to just say things for PR versus someone who doesn't seem to make logical sense. Maybe he just choose to answer things illogically to me but really know what's happening but just from things he said, sounded like he has no clue.

This season we knew since testing, big upgrade is coming.
The unreliability during testing was because they went too aggressive
The big upgrade is delayed as they had to focus on fixing what's found in testing
Now the speed isn't there, although they are scoring points in hauls and that's great for McLaren. Happy for them but I think anyone looking at the pace of the car knows they are far from target.
Yet, they have met their 2018 target? They are not aggressive enough? Even when the upgrade isn't here yet? The emergency meeting to figure out why the car isn't fast when you know you have upgrade coming?

We know the S duct changes means a pretty substantial front wing will probably come. It is his job to answer tough questions and take punches but there is much better way to answer those questions than the way EB is doing.
Some of this is part of the business and some of this is down to journalists as well. For example, see the kerfuffle this weekend with Will Buxton (who's a great reporter) and his quotes of Christian Horner contradicting himself on Max's Bahrain "mistake"

mclaren111

Alonso Fan wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 14:10
mclaren111 wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 13:29
No. Missed it. Was visiting my daughter in Cape Town. :( :(
Ah, family first any day. Who cars if you missed it eh? The article doesn't cover much of what we already don't know. And it was written before China so some things don't make sense anymore. I won't post it because that's not right, just like I wouldn't torrent games or music etc.

No problem and thank you.

Let's hope they start improving soon [-o< [-o<

radosav

Soo we are putting all our hopes on succes of operation Nose-job

Postmoe

radosav wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 15:20
Hoping it will not be a mere cosmetic improvement or expectations will be nose-diving.

loner

Postmoe wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 15:42
radosav wrote:
Hoping it will not be a mere cosmetic improvement or expectations will be nose-diving.
a full second had been mooted from the nose so you should expect the direction ...
para bellum.

Redragon

Postmoe wrote:
radosav wrote:
Hopefully is not another thump up on the arse

Alonso Fan

loner wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 16:10
Postmoe wrote:
radosav wrote:
a full second had been mooted from the nose so you should expect the direction ...
Only rumours in the media. No factual evidence of this yet
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

bauc

No way a new nose could bring 1 second of improvement without a lot of more other aero developments around the car, but it could unlock that path for the reminder of the season.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

RonDennis

bauc wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 16:44
No way a new nose could bring 1 second of improvement without a lot of more other aero developments around the car, but it could unlock that path for the reminder of the season.
It's not just the new nose.

PhillipM

They have new sidepods, which I'm guessing aren't being fitted until the new nose is proven, and it's probably fair to assume bargeboard changes that go with those to match, so it's probably the whole package that's worth close to a second.
The problem is, if it doesn't go on until Barcelona - every other team will have a package worth a good chunk too.

BrunoH

i dont believe in magical 1 second improvements over 1 month or so... 1 second in F1 is huge!!!

ivanlesk

BrunoH wrote:
16 Apr 2018, 17:08
i dont believe in magical 1 second improvements over 1 month or so... 1 second in F1 is huge!!!
You have a point, but if we believe to pp they are developing this upgrade longer than one month.

fellowhoodlums

and everyone else has updates too.......

Nonserviam85

McLaren have done it numerous times with B-Spec Cars, they can do it again.