Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Big Mangalhit

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

Unless they were just testing in one car for now and we'll see in both cars in Baku. But the idea it is just driver preference of controls still seems more plausible to me. Especially since Kimi was so close in performance to Vettel IMO

Mr.G

santos wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 10:55
so many questions about a lever... Kimi doesn't have it, does his car performs worse than Vettel's?
Exactly, also the old "two leavers" for clutch can be this same solutions, just because the leavers look identical doesn't mean they activate clutch, the second one (in the old setup) could have the same functionality as this new one, what ever that is...

BTW any shots from Baku yet?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

ripper
ripper

Ferrari with spoon wing, same used in China FP1

[media]https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4873361408[/media]

flexcon
flexcon

JPBD1990 wrote:
25 Apr 2018, 17:28
You’re right, to me it sounds identical to other cars, opening in almost identical locations. At the moment it seems like a witch hunt. The presumption that they must be doing something illegal as they are performing well... a little unfair really.
I was lucky enough to attend the F1 testing sessions both this year and last year and that waste gate opening sound was very evident from the Renault in 2017, Honda Mercedes and Ferrari I honestly could not hear from at all.

This years testing, Honda and Ferrari were now also showing this sound coming out of the corners. Mercedes I have yet to hear this year.

As a side note, the ferrari engine this year in testing sounded more like the Honda babbling sound during off throttle, although it kicked in much later than the honda off throttle.

zioture
zioture

video comparison new R-wing Ferrari https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbl99oC ... e=youtu.be

CriXus
CriXus

flexcon wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 12:30
JPBD1990 wrote:
You’re right, to me it sounds identical to other cars, opening in almost identical locations. At the moment it seems like a witch hunt. The presumption that they must be doing something illegal as they are performing well... a little unfair really.
As a side note, the ferrari engine this year in testing sounded more like the Honda babbling sound during off throttle, although it kicked in much later than the honda off throttle.
This off throttle sound is most likely - Variable displacement.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

ian_s

CriXus wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 13:18
flexcon wrote:
JPBD1990 wrote:
This off throttle sound is most likely - Variable displacement.
not legal.

iulian_florea
iulian_florea

It sounds to me like the anti-lag system on non-hybrid engines. They had this on Group B rally cars I think.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Variable displacement is not legal and they don't need anti-lag - they have a great big electric motor that can spin the turbo up if required - however, I would not be surprised if the throttles are fairly wide open at idle and overrun and the teams keep injecting fuel along with cylinder cut and timing pulls to blow the turbine for more MGU-H recovery.

ian_s

what i think is happening is this:
1) low revs, low throttle means turbo spools down through corner
2) apply throttle, need boost so MGU-H spins up the turbo
3) due to combustion, the turbine starts to provide power to the compressor
4) boost pressure goes too high so the wastegates open to release back pressure in exhaust
later down the straight the MGU-H starts to harvest and wastegates close.

i think at lower speeds they arent using the MGU-h to control the boost, as that would cause more backpressure and hence lower total power output. only once they are up to speed they start to harvest fully.

either that or the MGU-H just cant control the turbo well enough to get the exact boost pressure they need.

Big Mangalhit

PhillipM wrote:
26 Apr 2018, 13:45
Variable displacement is not legal and they don't need anti-lag - they have a great big electric motor that can spin the turbo up if required - however, I would not be surprised if the throttles are fairly wide open at idle and overrun and the teams keep injecting fuel along with cylinder cut and timing pulls to blow the turbine for more MGU-H recovery.
Can't they in theory just not inject fuel in one or more cylinders?

muramasa
muramasa

flexcon wrote:
Ferrari has always sounded brr in off throttle kinda like Honda, at least since 2016 as far as i can recall. Even Merc occasionally sounded brr, again since 2016. Only Renault doesnt seem to have it.

Honda's brr is purely cylinder cut as explained by Hasegawa, at least as of 2016
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27172&p=753555#p753492
cant tell if that's what other makers are doing as well just because it sounds somewhat similar though.

BTW Honda is making MGU-K recovery in acceleration phase as well, by turning ICE more than pedal input in partial throttle phase. Of course you are wasting fuel if focus on it alone but in overall balance sheet it's more efficient. Also what's called extra harvest:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18874&start=13440#p749725
Other makers must be doing the same too or perhaps bit more advanced/complicated than these. As ICE efficiency improves and hardware usage advances, surely you can start to exploit more and for aero gains as well, it's fascinating stuff.

MtthsMlw

MtthsMlw

Vettel165

Is this new? Looks nice.