Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Juzh

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

FrukostScones wrote:
01 May 2018, 10:21
Amus: legal debate over Ferrari mirrors, battery.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -verdacht/
Based on the article mirrors are a non-issue and have been addressed already for baku. The car was technically illegal for the first 3 races but no one filed a protest because no competitive advatange was gained in the process.

As for the battery, nothing solid is known yet. Could be deal breaker, could also be nothing.

giantfan10
giantfan10

dankane24 wrote:
01 May 2018, 22:09
.poz wrote:
01 May 2018, 21:14
MtthsMlw wrote:
01 May 2018, 16:40
So the teams suspect Ferrari to use more energy than the allowed 4MJ in order to blow the RW via the MGU-H and still having enough energy left for the MGU-K. This would indicate that Ferrari is using a bigger ES than allowed which is super illegal and would be quite easy to discover by the FIA I guess. Also this whole topic of blowing the RW via the MGU-H based only on speculations..
This should go to the PU thread btw.
It's sound strange to me, how they generate this extra energy ?

suppositions on what they are doing

rules allows only 2MJ/lap from MGUK to ES, they generate more and use the extra (MGUK to MGUH) to spin the MGUH so they don't need to use ES to spin it when reaccelerating (legal)

they have built a VERY heavy turbo by purpose and use it as energy store using ES to MGUH to spin it and MGUH to MGUH (border line)

they have a "short circuit" in the MGUH so the energy goes from ES to MGUH to MGUK (illegal)

BTW ES hasn't a maximum capacity, rules says that difference from minium to maximum state of charge can't exceed 4MJ; i think that all teams have a bigger ES to improve durability and a bigger battery can endure a faster charge
This was what I was thinking too except under braking they open the waste gates and spin the turbo up to maximum rpm. This would have the added benefit of blowing the rear wing under breaking. Then on corner exit they harvest the energy back of the mguh and feed it to the mguk to get added acceleration out of corners. Would explain why Ferrari were being investigated for both off throttle aerodynamic blowing and over use of the battery as it would look like the mguk is outputting more than the 2Mj per lap. Whether it's legal I'm not sure, people who know the regs better can jump in here.
This is nonsensical from this perspective......care to explain to me how Ferrari is blowing the rear wing with the exhaust in the position it is in?? Renault who admitted to blowing the rear wing with their exhauast at the upper limit in terms of position say that they get a minimal gain for all their efforts....
Ferrari with their exhaust pointed in a much lower position is now doing battery gymnastics for an even more minimal gain? I smell AMUS the Mercedes appologist PR extension doing what they always do... pointing fingers at Ferrari.

Thunder

Ok a whole bunch of Posts about the Ferrari ERS System has been moved to the Ferrari PU Topic. This thread is more abou the Chassis / Aero of the SF71H.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

paddyf1
paddyf1

MtthsMlw

paddyf1 wrote:
02 May 2018, 17:21
Note, in the last picture, that the mirror contains two mirrors, slightly offset, to provide a viewing angle as wide as possible. (f1i.com)
Looks broken in half to me.. Are you allowed to put two mirrors in one housing? I don't think so.

Zynerji

I doubt 2 mirrors is illegal, as that's added safety, but this does look broken, not intentional.

Big Tea

My car has mirrors like that. One gives a view wider out, one closet to me. I find it useful when pulling out to overtake on a 3 lane as I see the outside sooner if there is traffic in the middle lane, but not too close. Also useful on roundabouts.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Xwang
Xwang

It is not broken. From this point of view it reflects the internal black border of the mirror "case" .

paddyf1
paddyf1

"It seems that this hollow fairing of the mirror does not serve to direct the airflow towards the upper sidepod inlet, contrary to what was thought at first.
Put simple, its role would rather be to improve the airflow towards the rear wing and diffuser. Its shape would certainly create a little more drag, but it would also generate a wake of higher pressure, more energized than with a conventional design, which helps the elements further down (the rear wing and the diffuser) in generating downforce".

paddyf1
paddyf1

Zynerji wrote:
02 May 2018, 18:26
I doubt 2 mirrors is illegal, as that's added safety, but this does look broken, not intentional.
I think theres a small part thats chipped off.

pimpwerx
pimpwerx

paddyf1 wrote:
03 May 2018, 10:46
Zynerji wrote:
02 May 2018, 18:26
I think theres a small part thats chipped off.
I think the finish on the paint on the inside of the mirror is a little rough. To me, it looks like the inner section of the mirror is angled normally (outward), but the outer section is angled to give a view more rearward. Like a rear-view mirror, almost. It probably covers a pretty massive blindspot without having to use convex mirrors.

designf1
designf1

SectorOne

Big Tea wrote:
02 May 2018, 18:38
My car has mirrors like that. One gives a view wider out, one closet to me. I find it useful when pulling out to overtake on a 3 lane as I see the outside sooner if there is traffic in the middle lane, but not too close. Also useful on roundabouts.
But these will do the exact opposite since this is concave, not convex which allows you to see your deadzone.
Im guessing these are for a clearer view on whats right behind him.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

DiogoBrand

SectorOne wrote:
04 May 2018, 16:48
Big Tea wrote:
But these will do the exact opposite since this is concave, not convex which allows you to see your deadzone.
I think the only reason to have concave mirrors is if they're broken. The facts that the division is not a clean cut and that dark edge that looks chipped just increase this suspicion for me.

SectorOne

DiogoBrand wrote:
04 May 2018, 16:53
SectorOne wrote:
04 May 2018, 16:48
Big Tea wrote:
I think the only reason to have concave mirrors is if they're broken. The facts that the division is not a clean cut and that dark edge that looks chipped just increase this suspicion for me.
That dark edge chip is a reflection of the carbon housing.

1. Notice the white line.
2. Notice the edge of the carbon housing.

My guess is the innermost mirror is set up normally, showing whats to the left and right of the rear wing.
The outer part shows what´s between the rear wing, right behind you.

edit: now it might be a broken mirror but it´s a clean crack.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"