2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

siskue2005 wrote:
10 May 2018, 09:54
LM10 wrote:
10 May 2018, 09:08

Looking at oncoming updates is even more interesting when we consider Mercedes engineers tell that the W09 is, no matter if in tyre working range or not, slower than Ferrari.
But where did anyone say such a thing?
I am sorry if I have mistaken the grammer tense
I read it in one article of AMuS (last week I think). But they also mentioned it in their newest article today. I should have added it to my comment, sry. :)

Here's the part from today's article:

"The engineers from Brixworth are now dealing with the truth quite relentlessly. "We had the fastest racing car for many years. We do not have that anymore. Even if we hit the tire window. Ferrari has the faster package. On all routes, in cold, warm, windy, windless weather. Under some conditions, the difference is greater, smaller among some. At the moment, higher temperatures are more helpful than deep ones.""

Manjhi
Manjhi

It's about downforce and traction, so I expect Ferrari, RB, Mclaren and Haas to make comeback.

Mercedes & Force India will suffer. Renault won't loose or gain anything from this track.

Torro Rosso might as well be in the mix but will not challenge for points.

Sauber-Alfa Romeo will struggle for lack of DF.

Don't want to talk about Williams with that tyre strategy, young driver and car, it will be embarrassing for them. They should concentrate on Austria for some points.

Vettel165

I suspect Kimi will take the pole on this circuit, with Seb jumping Kimi at the start, and it will end with a dominant old-fashion style 1-2 for Ferrari at the end. The third time it usually works, Ferrari were very unlucky in China, Baku. What comes around, goes around.

f1316
f1316

I’m still of the opinion that Ferrari have consciously designed a package that is fastest at the majority of circuits which, on balance, are the lower downforce ones. So I expect the next two races to be weak for them, relatively speaking.

They may well still be in the mix but I think their package comes to the fore more where downforce compromises are being made for top speed. I’m only basing this on a pre-season comment by Marchionne and a smattering of data so far, so could well be wrong but it’s my hypothesis- let’s see :)

But I also fancy Kimi to get ahead of Seb in quali here. Spain was not traditionally Seb’s best circuit - Webber often stronger - and when Kimi was feeling the car (e.g. 2005, 2008) he went well here. I think this car is relatively good for Kimi’s style and this could be a place where he overturns his teammate. Whether or not that means pole, I have my doubts.

Vettel165

Nice livestream on f1 tv now with safety car driving around the track.

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

New Ferrari mirrors mounted on halo

FMP
FMP

Had Mercedes run more tyre compounds in pre-season testing we would be much more aware about performance on this track. For the first time this season I'm happy they chose not to.

godlameroso

Manjhi wrote:
10 May 2018, 11:51
It's about downforce and traction, so I expect Ferrari, RB, Mclaren and Haas to make comeback.

Mercedes & Force India will suffer. Renault won't loose or gain anything from this track.

Torro Rosso might as well be in the mix but will not challenge for points.

Sauber-Alfa Romeo will struggle for lack of DF.

Don't want to talk about Williams with that tyre strategy, young driver and car, it will be embarrassing for them. They should concentrate on Austria for some points.
Temperatures will be very mild all weekend long, windy as usual in the afternoons, surprisingly similar to the last week of testing. This is going to be phenomenal because we will get an accurate comparison of how teams evolved since testing, particularly in the race. I wouldn't count out Mercedes, they had the strongest race pace of the bunch.
Saishū kōnā

Vettel165

https://www.auto-mot...rrari-mercedes/

- Neither Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull have changed their cars externally big. The first real upgrades are announced for the GP Spain in Barcelona

- From the Mercedes Engineer: Even when we're in the window with the tyres. Ferrari has the faster package. On all circuits, under warm, cold, windy or windless conditions. Under some conditions, the difference is bigger, under others, it's smaller. Right now higher temperatures are helping us more than colder temperatures."

- Seb: "We have changed basically nothing on our car since the test drives, rather dismantled a bit to understand the problems. Now we slowly move back to the stage that we had at the beginning. And we have also optimized the car setup.

- Mercedes has no engine advantage anymore. If needed, Ferrari can use the more power they have to run with more downforce.

- Its gonna be an interesting race in Montreal, because all four manufactures will introduce their first engine upgrade and this will decide if they will go for the three engines for the rest of the season or if needed to take the grid penalties to bring additional engine upgrades.

dans79

Vettel165 wrote:
10 May 2018, 17:46
- From the Mercedes Engineer: Even when we're in the window with the tyres. Ferrari has the faster package. On all circuits, under warm, cold, windy or windless conditions. Under some conditions, the difference is bigger, under others, it's smaller. Right now higher temperatures are helping us more than colder temperatures."
Sounds like a re-hash of the same BS as last year.
197 104 103 7

Vettel165

dans79 wrote:
10 May 2018, 17:53
Vettel165 wrote:
Nope this time Ferrari is a faster car in reality. Mercedes advantage was always the engine, now that Ferrari has manage to be equal or even better in terms of engine, Mercedes is a sitting duck. Their low-rake comparing to the high-rake of Ferrari, RBR of course doesnt help.And also Ferrari is now producing probably less drag than Mercedes. I wouldnt be suprised if Ferrari dominate this season from now on, its a revolution of a car, with much more potential as RBR, Mercedes. But this is just my opinion.

djones
djones

That article must have been written without even looking at the cars :lol:

"- Neither Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull have changed their cars externally big. The first real upgrades are announced for the GP Spain in Barcelona"

The Ferrari has the biggest change I think I have ever seen mid-season.

dans79

Vettel165 wrote:
10 May 2018, 17:56
dans79 wrote:
Vettel165 wrote:
Nope this time Ferrari is a faster car in reality. Mercedes advantage was always the engine, now that Ferrari has manage to be equal or even better in terms of engine, Mercedes is a sitting duck. Their low-rake comparing to the high-rake of Ferrari, RBR of course doesnt help.And also Ferrari is now producing probably less drag than Mercedes. I wouldnt be suprised if Ferrari dominate this season from now on, its a revolution of a car, with much more potential as RBR, Mercedes. But this is just my opinion.
How do you explain AUS then?
197 104 103 7

Vettel165

dans79 wrote:
10 May 2018, 18:00
Vettel165 wrote:
dans79 wrote:

First race of the season, and didnt have the time to find the right setup. Remember that Ferrari changed from smaller-wheelbase of a car to a longer one with more AERO efficiency. You need some time to optimize the setup and unlock the potential from the car.

Sevach
Sevach

dans79 wrote:
10 May 2018, 18:00
Vettel165 wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Ferrari's diffuser was behaving unpredictably and in response the team dialed in a lot of understeer into the setup.

I'm definitely thinking that Melbourne might have had more to do with Ferrari not being at 100% rather than Mercedes super unlockable pace.