Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Xwang
Xwang

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

What if Ferrari return to use a mirror not hanged to the halo but with the winglet (something very badly drawn in this image by myself):

Same connection to the tube as previous races, but winglet upside.
Is it forbidden?

siskue2005

Xwang wrote:
12 May 2018, 18:14
What if Ferrari return to use a mirror not hanged to the halo but with the winglet (something very badly drawn in this image by myself):
https://postimages.org/

Is it forbidden?
then the drivers wont be able to see anything

Xwang
Xwang

siskue2005 wrote:
12 May 2018, 18:29
Xwang wrote:

Is it forbidden?
then the drivers wont be able to see anything
How a winglet mounted upon the mirror can reduce the visibility of the pilot (excluded some portion of sky or standing)?
From his point of view both the proposed winglet and the supporting "struct" (which is the mirror one but longer) should be pretty high and do not reduce visibility. Do you agree?

[EDIT] I have found that a so designed winglet could be in breach of 3.5.2 if not considered a mirror mounting ans in the case of this lower mounted mirror it seems pretty impossible to justify the winglet from a structural point of view, but maybe a solution like this
in which mirror and winglet have two different mountings and are connected to reduce mirror vibrations (and to gain an aero advantage as a legal secondary benefit being the winglet not designed only for aero reason but a different form of mirror mounting) could be considered legal and obtain the same effect of the Spain version.
Last edited by Xwang on 12 May 2018, 19:00, edited 2 times in total.

Zynerji

Sevach wrote:
12 May 2018, 17:58
It's really weird where the FIA chooses to draw the line... Red Bull has a car with twin mirror stalks, obviously shaped to turn the air around and not peep has been heard about it.

I guess the halo is sacred...
I would counter protest every aero beneficial mirror stalk on the grid immediately.

...and this belief that in an aero formula that you cannot make anything that benefits aero is uttetly retarded.

Cuky

Xwang wrote:

Is it forbidden?
FIA has stated in it clarification that mirrors can't be mounted to the chassis and to the HALO at the same time. Either one is OK, but not both.
Mirrors cannot be mounted both on the halo and the chassis, because such an arrangement would make it harder to remove the halo.
Quote is taken from this article
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13557 ... lo-mirrors

Zynerji

Mirrors have never been exactly stable. Refusing a 2 attachment mount seems rather counter intuitive from a safety and race awareness standpoint.

Xwang
Xwang

Cuky wrote:
12 May 2018, 18:53
Xwang wrote:

Is it forbidden?
FIA has stated in it clarification that mirrors can't be mounted to the chassis and to the HALO at the same time. Either one is OK, but not both.
Mirrors cannot be mounted both on the halo and the chassis, because such an arrangement would make it harder to remove the halo.
What I was proposing was to return to a chassis connected mirror with no Halo connection (I've drawn a yellow X on the image). The trick is to design the winglet as a mirror mounting (see above my EDITed post)

RZS10

I doubt that any such solution would be legal, otherwise we would have seen them long ago

I guess the FIA did not specify any 'box' or dimensions for the halo mirror mounts which lead to the (very optimistic) Ferrari solution

What i wonder is, will Ferrari try to make a mockery of today's decision by doing something like this? :lol:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
12 May 2018, 18:38
Sevach wrote:
It's really weird where the FIA chooses to draw the line... Red Bull has a car with twin mirror stalks, obviously shaped to turn the air around and not peep has been heard about it.

I would counter protest every aero beneficial mirror stalk on the grid immediately.

...and this belief that in an aero formula that you cannot make anything that benefits aero is uttetly retarded.
It would also knock Ferrari's "hollow" mirror design out too. I'd bet that Ferrari might well lose out on that sort of "damn them all" approach. The fact they are trying clever things in this area suggests that it's required to maximise their overall concept. I bet RedBull or Mercedes would lose less from a "everyone must run a single, simple mirror stalk" mandate.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vanja #66

I don't think FIA will allow any more winglets to appear above or bellow mirrors themselves again. The only way they can force this is by banning bodywork up and down from mirrors in some extent - 5-10mm perhaps.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

roon
roon

Sevach wrote:

And let's not forget Force India's solution. Purely structural, no doubt.

The lesson being...

Connecting the mirrors to the sidepod crash stucture cover: OK.
Connecting the mirrors to the halo structure cover: not OK.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

roon wrote:
12 May 2018, 20:44

The lessons being...

Connecting the mirrors to the sidepod crash stucture cover: OK.
Connecting the mirrors to the halo structure cover: not OK.
Obstructing the driver's vision with connections beneath the mirror: OK.
Improving the driver's vision with connections above the mirror: not OK.
Wrong. Connecting the mirrors to the halo is ok. What's not ok is sticking a big aero winglet on the mounting stalk.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Cuky

Xwang wrote:
12 May 2018, 19:03
Cuky wrote:
12 May 2018, 18:53
Xwang wrote:

Is it forbidden?
What I was proposing was to return to a chassis connected mirror with no Halo connection (I've drawn a yellow X on the image). The trick is to design the winglet as a mirror mounting (see above my EDITed post)
I have to apologize then, as I have misunderstood your original post

roon
roon

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 May 2018, 20:53
What's not ok is sticking a big aero winglet on the mounting stalk.

Further lessons, this one a bit more confusing:

Sticking a big aero winglet on the mounting stalk: not OK.
Sticking a big aero winglet on the mounting stalk: OK.

MtthsMlw

They used the updated suspension in Qualifying on both cars.