2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2018 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 11-13

Xwang wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:43
Villeneuve on Italian Sky has just told:"... Everybody (I have spoken) knew before the GP that this change (tyre) would have helped Mercedes ..".
But for sure he is a Ferrari fan too.
And that is why Villeneuve is an idiot. He make reckless comments more often than not.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13522 ... 1-circuits

Pirelli first announced that they are going to introduce thinner tread for Spain on 7th of April. By that time, Mercedes had dominated Melbourne qualifying and had lost the race after having comfortably lead. Throughout the Winter Testing, it was widely believed that Mercedes is going to dominate. At that time, accepting the tyre tread change was actually detrimental for the interests of Mercedes! Does any of you pay heed to that? Suddenly, all the commotion! Huh!
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 13 May 2018, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

Zynerji

It seemed that the flag was for Hamilton exiting the pits to me during the race, and that didn't make sense either.

Xwang
Xwang

siskue2005 wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:47
Xwang wrote:
Villeneuve on Italian Sky has just told:"... Everybody (I have spoken) knew before the GP that this change (tyre) would have helped Mercedes ..".
Most of the tyre tests in 2017 preseason were done by Vettel and Ferrari...and there were roumors that pirelli made tyres to suit their car. Also in 2013 pirelli changed the tyres mid season and Vettel went on to win the next 9 out of 10 races.

To quote Vettel himself
"What goes around comes around"
2017 preseason tests were offered to all teams and pilots. If someone has not taken that opportunity it was only their fault.

Who was battling versus Vettel in 2013 championship?

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Raikkonen losing out again, through no fault of his own. Sounded like the team had just given him the radio call to switch to a 1-stop when the engine went bang. I wonder how the team would have shuffled him out the way of Mr V., because he would have had track position considering he was ahead of Verstappen.

ian_s

well done verstappen, another stupid pointless incident, thankfully it didnt affect the race much this time.
i went back over the footage and Max accelerated and made contact before the lights turned to green, what a total numpty!

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Fulcrum wrote:
09 May 2018, 06:54
PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 May 2018, 04:27
Mercedes will be half a second faster than Ferrari here. Total Domination.

Lewis
Bottas
Vestappen
Vettel
Ricc
3 tenths, but yeah, probably comfortable.
My prediction was closer in qualifying, yours closer in the race, with Hamilton anyway. Extremely comfortable.

siskue2005

Xwang wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:53
siskue2005 wrote:
Xwang wrote:
Most of the tyre tests in 2017 preseason were done by Vettel and Ferrari...and there were roumors that pirelli made tyres to suit their car. Also in 2013 pirelli changed the tyres mid season and Vettel went on to win the next 9 out of 10 races.

To quote Vettel himself
2017 preseason tests were offered to all teams and pilots. If someone has not taken that opportunity it was only their fault.
So you admit Pirelli favored Ferrari in 2017 and took their opinion more than others to create the final tyre compound which suited Ferrari more.
Xwang wrote:
that doesnt matter, as long as Vettel gained 9 race wins due to tyre change favoring their car

Therefore to quote Vettel himself again

Vasconia

MtthsMlw wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:39
Explanation for Ferrari's strategy

https://youtu.be/Wp7hLDKA1Rg
They had no idea how to manage those tyres, its the only explanation for their bad pace and bad tyre managment. If they can learn from this race we take for granted that Mercedes will slay in France and England. Not very promising if you ask me.

And once again, like it happened, RB shows a incredible pace on Friday which no one can see on the race. Why? I mean they weren´t slow but they are a world behind Mercedes.

Anyway, all the elements seem to be against Ferrari, one of them being the team itself.

In Monaco RB should the strongest team and I dont know what to expect from Ferrari and Mercedes. Last year was clear that the Scuderia was going to be fast but now...

siskue2005

what i have learned is Lewis and Mercs were the ones who sandbagged hugely in this weekend......how the hell did he pull out 20 sec gap over the next Merc??

makecry
makecry

siskue2005 wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:11
what i have learned is Lewis and Mercs were the ones who sandbagged hugely in this weekend......how the hell did he pull out 20 sec gap over the next Merc??
Bottas was behind Seb for a huge part of the race.

Vasconia

makecry wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:13
siskue2005 wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:11
Bottas was behind Seb for a huge part of the race.
Life is easy when you have clean air and a car 1 second faster than the rest. :mrgreen:

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

GPR-A wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:50
Xwang wrote:
And that is why Villeneuve is an idiot. He make reckless comments more often than not.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13522 ... 1-circuits

Pirelli first announced that they are going to introduce thinner tread for Spain on 7th of April. By that time, Mercedes had dominated Melbourne qualifying and had lost the race after having comfortably lead. Throughout the Winter Testing, it was widely believed that Mercedes is going to dominate. At that time, accepting the tyre tread change was actually detrimental for the interests of Mercedes! Does any of you pay heed to that? Suddenly, all the commotion! Huh!
That can’t be right surely? You can’t be suggesting that when this decision was made the FIA had no idea that it would hurt Ferrari and help Mercedes.

Thankfully nobody has been going on endlessly about it being a Pirelli/Mercedes master plan.

Xwang
Xwang

siskue2005 wrote:
13 May 2018, 18:00
Xwang wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:53
siskue2005 wrote:

To quote Vettel himself
So you admit Pirelli favored Ferrari in 2017 and took their opinion more than others to create the final tyre compound which suited Ferrari more.
Xwang wrote:
that doesnt matter, as long as Vettel gained 9 race wins due to tyre change favoring their car

Therefore to quote Vettel himself again
I do not admit nothing about 2017, I am only saying that, even admitting that those rumors were true, one thing is to give everybody the possibility to test and say their opinion, the other is to follow complaints of only a team and inform the other when they have already made their car and their tyre choice for that GP.
Moreover if those rumours were real, you would have listen a lot of complaints from Red Bull and Mercedes.
So IMHO they were only rumours.

As far as what goes around comes around I can say that in 2013 Vettel was contesting the championships vs Alonso who drove Ferrari and after tyre change Ferrari wasn't able to win any more in that years.
This time seems the same.
Only some silly persons think that F1 is about pilots.
It is about teams!

I remember that Mercedes pilots during this winter test were doing burnouts in the pitlane in order to ruin their tyres and than say that they had problems with blistering.
Why they have not keep burning out tyres during this weekend when in pitlane?

Moreover somebody yesterday has asked me here how I justify the gain in performance (0.5s) made after Australia and I have given my response.
Now I ask you how has Mercedes gained 1 seconds to everybody in 2 weeks?

Vriezzer
Vriezzer

ian_s wrote:
13 May 2018, 17:59
well done verstappen, another stupid pointless incident, thankfully it didnt affect the race much this time.
i went back over the footage and Max accelerated and made contact before the lights turned to green, what a total numpty!
When the VSC ends it's shown on the steering wheel. That's his reference point. Not the screens outside the track. The Williams driver was sleeping.
Friendly, but fierce.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Hamilton was goood this week. Back to normal.

Ferrari just pooped the strategy this race. They had slower car anyhow.

Vestappen extremely lucky that his reckless mistake did not cost him the whole front wing this time:) lol.

Overall a good race to watch, deserved win by mercedes. I am really looking for the next race. Mercedes and Ferrari really look close but after this race my favs are Mercs again.