Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
GrizzleBoy

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Second to last picture had me wondering how they shortened the exhaust so much, but I realised that there is a new shroud covering the exhaust.

The sleek bodywork upto the tip of the exhaust and the suspension arms sprouting out either side of it reminds me of a jet fighter shape.

Sierra117

GrizzleBoy wrote:
24 May 2018, 09:57
Second to last picture had me wondering how they shortened the exhaust so much, but I realised that there is a new shroud covering the exhaust.

The sleek bodywork upto the tip of the exhaust and the suspension arms sprouting out either side of it reminds me of a jet fighter shape.
Reminds me of the F14 Turbokat from Swat Kats with the triple exhaust 😎😎
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Bill_Kar

Aren't those the same they used in Barcelona test?I mean in terms of arrangement.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

jh199

I've just noticed these rear wing intakes. Are these to help with flow attachment when the DRS closes? I'd guess the air exits between the endplates and the rear surface of the wing?
I don't know how to upload a photo directly so here's a link with the intakes circled https://flic.kr/p/27vecr7

And here's a photo, the intake is just where the lower wing element attaches to the endplate (Via AMuS)

(I've never seen these on this forum before, I figured someone here might enjoy it :D )

Just_a_fan

All of the team's use the junction between wing and endplate in various ways. The rules allow a "loophole" here that doesn't have the two wing element rule applied. You see a number of slats/wing profiles in the thin gap between endplate and wing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

The endplate is allowed to be 20mm thick or so, and as Justafan said that width is basically free and not restricted by the two element rule so what teams do is make the endplate extremely thin to make room and then put mutiple element profiles in that space.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

MtthsMlw

JasonF1

jh199 wrote:
27 May 2018, 17:02
I've just noticed these rear wing intakes. Are these to help with flow attachment when the DRS closes? I'd guess the air exits between the endplates and the rear surface of the wing?
I don't know how to upload a photo directly so here's a link with the intakes circled https://flic.kr/p/27vecr7

And here's a photo, the intake is just where the lower wing element attaches to the endplate (Via AMuS)
https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 165346.jpg

(I've never seen these on this forum before, I figured someone here might enjoy it :D )
Its function is to reduce the boundary layer at the endplate.

hecti

Who has a larger version of this picture?? These small resolution pics are really frustrating...

Morteza

hecti wrote:
28 May 2018, 13:56
Who has a larger version of this picture?? These small resolution pics are really frustrating...
There you go (Right-click open image in new tab [on Chrome] / Right-click view image [on Firefox])

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

hecti

Morteza wrote:
28 May 2018, 18:05
hecti wrote:
28 May 2018, 13:56
There you go (Right-click open image in new tab [on Chrome] / Right-click view image [on Firefox])

https://i.imgur.com/W5LKVsU.jpg
Thanks, this is better, I am really tired of seeing tiny photos on here