Cooling fans on F1 cars

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Big Tea

Cooling fans on F1 cars

Not sure if this should be here of in general?

I was wondering now that the MGU-H can supply power the car can not legally use if it was at all feasible or even of any advantage to use it to power electric cooling fans.

Not only for on the grid and safety car, but we often hear of cars 'staying in the clear air' when they have been following for a while.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon

Re: Cooling fans on F1 cars

Fans likely considered as bodywork. Moving bodywork prohibited. There may be an explicit mention of fans in the cooling system section of the regs. Regardless, one would have to compare the mass and location of any fan and its ductwork, and whether they would provide any improvement over ductwork which can supply air from a ~60-300kph variable source.

Big Tea

I can not see a specific reference unless it is covered by 3.8 Aerodynamic influence

I suppose though the weight and position would be more beneficial as ballast where needed.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon

Should be the same rules that rendered Murray's fan car illegal.

strad

I'd bet that it would be illegal but I don't see how it is a moveable aerodynamic device.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

AJI
AJI

Big Tea wrote:
30 May 2018, 22:32

I was wondering now that the MGU-H can supply power the car can not legally use if it was at all feasible or even of any advantage to use it to power electric cooling fans.

Not only for on the grid and safety car, but we often hear of cars 'staying in the clear air' when they have been following for a while.
Are you talking radiator fans? They'd only be useful on the grid after the formation lap, so, for about 15 seconds per race for the guys on the front row. I'm pretty sure they have them. They used to anyway… Well, the RB7 did at at least one race..

roon

AJI wrote:
31 May 2018, 01:02
Big Tea wrote:
30 May 2018, 22:32

Are you talking radiator fans? They'd only be useful on the grid after the formation lap, so, for about 15 seconds per race for the guys on the front row. I'm pretty sure they have them. They used to anyway… Well, the RB7 did at at least one race..

http://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/wp- ... ll-RB6.jpg
That's a pre-2009 demonstration car for press events. Note the pushrod rear suspension, low rear wing, and crash-structure-diffuser.

AJI
AJI

roon wrote:
31 May 2018, 06:29

That's a pre-2009 demonstration car for press events. Note the pushrod rear suspension, low rear wing, and crash-structure-diffuser.
Well that explains it. I thought it looked particularly un-F1.

Cold Fussion

Even if they were to use fans, I highly doubt it would be slapped onto the back of the radiator without any form of ductwork.