Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
djones

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

I guess they have started taking more risks this season, in a hope to finally beat Mercedes.

Understandable really. They are here to sell their exotic road cars and it doesn't look good when year in year out your race team is beat by a company that mainly produce small capacity diesel saloon cars.

On this DRS thing though.... surely how wide it opens is one of the standard FIA tests? It sounds like something very easy to test for. Unless it opens more at speed compared to when its stationary.

garyjpaterson

djones wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 10:29
I guess they have started taking more risks this season, in a hope to finally beat Mercedes.

Understandable really. They are here to sell their exotic road cars and it doesn't look good when year in year out your race team is beat by a company that mainly produce small capacity diesel saloon cars.

On this DRS thing though.... surely how wide it opens is one of the standard FIA tests? It sounds like something very easy to test for. Unless it opens more at speed compared to when its stationary.
Yeah I imagine they mean at speed, so probably just too flexible.

LM10

What a witch-hunt already. Let the FIA investigate everything and if there is no evidence for wrongdoing (which was the case until now, except for the wing mirrors, but that was obviously visible for everyone) other teams can copy all innovative loopholes. =D> Mercedes and RBR this year seem to have an office full of engineers concentrating only on Ferrari parts (RBR's finger pointing because minimal asphalt was being seen from bird view so Ferrari needed to put very tiny bits on their mirrors showed this :D).

Let's see, maybe RBR managed to find out that Ferrari's DRS flap opens 6.6 cm.

e30ernest

LM10 wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 10:32
What a witch-hunt already.
Not really. This happens every year, for every team. It's normal for clarifications and checks to be requested towards rival cars.

On the topic of that DRS flap, I read somewhere that Red Bull was concerned it was opening wider than it should while the car was moving at speed.

djones

Slightly off topic, but it makes perfect sense to have teams of people just looking at the other cars.

Lets say it costs you $1,000,000 to gain 0.25 of a second on track in development.

Well, it you can pay a team of 5 people $500,000 to steal ideas and remove advantages (so a net gain for you) then its a no-brainer.

LM10

e30ernest wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 10:36
LM10 wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 10:32
What a witch-hunt already.
Not really. This happens every year, for every team. It's normal for clarifications and checks to be requested towards rival cars.

On the topic of that DRS flap, I read somewhere that Red Bull was concerned it was opening wider than it should while the car was moving at speed.
Almost every GP another part of the Ferrari has been investigated until now. I don't know when was the last time I saw scrutineering with such frequency. Mercedes and RBR seem to really go all out. Either this or only Ferrari's investigations are being published medially?

edxferrari

interesting vid

Edit Thunder: removed Team Talk, post moved to the Team Thread to discuss further.

Thunder

Team Talk has been moved to the Team Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Sevach

T Wing removed and maybe new rear suspension.

turbof1

the engine cover panels are different at the rear. I don't immediately see any difference in the engine cover topology, but the panels are sliced differently.
#AeroFrodo

Sevach

djones

Lading edge of the rear wing is now two thin parts, rather than a big fat one I think.

EDIT - Sorry I mean the other way. Its now a single fat piece.

Sevach

Quite a large rear wing for Montreal (maybe the other car will have the spoon for FP1).

Manfer

MtthsMlw

Looks like a few more slots in the piece right below/behind the lower wishbone.