Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

ScottB wrote: ↑
31 May 2018, 16:56
At this point, if you are a team in the market for a top driver, you've got 2 choices;

Ricciardo or Alonso.

It's a no brainer, Danny, every single time.

He's younger, you could build your team around him and rely on him to produce the goods for another 5 years plus. Neither of them are going to be cheap by any stretch of the imagination, so going for a guy who has a very limited lifespan left in the sport, and who seems fairly committed to the idea of competing in other championships, seems questionable. Especially when the two teams at the top already have lead drivers the wrong side of 30, hiring someone even older isn't exactly long term thinking. Particularly Mercedes, having already been burned by a driver randomly retiring, having Danny in the second seat would ensure some stability should Lewis decide he's had enough.

Besides, is there any indication Alonso even wants another 2 - 3 years in the sport? At this point I reckon he'll leave and focus on his Triple Crown endeavours until he fully retires, possibly still under the McLaren umbrella.

McLaren itself probably ends up fielding Vandorne and Norris next year, unless they somehow manage to convince Ricciardo it's a good place to go...
I wonder if Danny's stock is strong enough to be able to risk a stint at Mclaren to tide him over until a Ferrari or Mercedes seat opens up..??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

hemichromis
hemichromis

Would Redbull accept a 1 year contract for Ricciardo?

Phil

Not a chance in hell. Why would he go there? McLaren have not proven since 2012 to be able to build a competitive package. I can understand that Ricciardo might want to leave the RedBull "umbrella" to be his own man (like Hamilton left McLaren in 2012), but I think McLaren and RedBull are two very different teams. McLaren was way more restrictive than RedBull is. Besides.... Ricciardo is beating Verstappen. Perhaps not in outright performance, but with calmness and steady consistency. That accounts for something too.

And despite what outrages salary Max may be earning at RedBull, at least there you know that they will let you race and compete with each other (no number 1).

My hunch is, Ricciardo will sign for 2 years, just like Hamilton will at Mercedes. Then Ricciardo can see what happens and replace Hamilton (if his stocks are high enough and Mercedes are interested). By then, Ferrari may be too, who knows what happens.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. β€” bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

adrianjordan wrote: ↑
31 May 2018, 17:23
ScottB wrote: ↑
31 May 2018, 16:56
At this point, if you are a team in the market for a top driver, you've got 2 choices;

Ricciardo or Alonso.

It's a no brainer, Danny, every single time.

He's younger, you could build your team around him and rely on him to produce the goods for another 5 years plus. Neither of them are going to be cheap by any stretch of the imagination, so going for a guy who has a very limited lifespan left in the sport, and who seems fairly committed to the idea of competing in other championships, seems questionable. Especially when the two teams at the top already have lead drivers the wrong side of 30, hiring someone even older isn't exactly long term thinking. Particularly Mercedes, having already been burned by a driver randomly retiring, having Danny in the second seat would ensure some stability should Lewis decide he's had enough.

Besides, is there any indication Alonso even wants another 2 - 3 years in the sport? At this point I reckon he'll leave and focus on his Triple Crown endeavours until he fully retires, possibly still under the McLaren umbrella.

McLaren itself probably ends up fielding Vandorne and Norris next year, unless they somehow manage to convince Ricciardo it's a good place to go...
I wonder if Danny's stock is strong enough to be able to risk a stint at Mclaren to tide him over until a Ferrari or Mercedes seat opens up..??
going to Mclaren is essentially suicide.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

AJI wrote: ↑
31 May 2018, 14:47
GRO to Mercedes
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

UlleGulle
UlleGulle

Leclerc to Haas and GRO to Mercedes (as a foot stool for RIC to get into the car)
Leclerc to Haas might happen mid season, GRO will not go to Merc though.

It's a win-win for Ferrari, Leclerc will be tested against an average team mate, and at the same time they have the shot go give Giovinazzi another go in the Sauber. Would rather see Romain getting that seat though, that car and those brakes might suit him better.

AJI
AJI

Manoah2u wrote: ↑
31 May 2018, 22:34
GRO to Mercedes
There's heaps of jobs for him at Mercedes. Foot stool, door stop, crash test dummy, brake 'tester'.., the list is endless...

Jolle
Jolle

31 May 2018, 23:23
GRO to Mercedes
There's heaps of jobs for him at Mercedes. Foot stool, door stop, crash test dummy, brake 'tester'.., the list is endless...
Eric might want him at McLaren?

AJI
AJI

The tea lady position isn't available.

mclaren111

Jolle wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2018, 00:46

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only Eric would think GRO is a good driver.

Jolle
Jolle

mclaren111 wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2018, 16:39
Jolle wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2018, 00:46

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Only Eric would think GRO is a good driver.
And he is in charge of some things at McLaren, so... when things not go to plan, go back to what you know....

ringo

Bottas to Ferrari is more likely than Danny to Ferrari.
Riciardo may do one more year at redbull then Join Hamilton at Mercedes.
I don't see max going beyond his current contract in Redbull, he has shown too many weakness, and most of all he doesn't learn very well from his mistakes, meaning he may just slow in terms of development and drivers like Ocon and Leclerc and Gasley may catch up to him.
For Sure!!

Jolle
Jolle

ringo wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2018, 21:26
I don't see max going beyond his current contract in Redbull, he has shown too many weakness, and most of all he doesn't learn very well from his mistakes, meaning he may just slow in terms of development and drivers like Ocon and Leclerc and Gasley may catch up to him.
Mercedes and Ferrari sunk a whole lot of cash in their junior programs the last decades. I assume if there is a seat opening next to their top drivers (Hamilton and Vettel) they can’t not put one of those in there. So Ocon or Leclerc. So works teams openings will be at Renault as long as Hamilton and Vettel are racing.

hemichromis
hemichromis

Leclerc looks great but should definitely have a year in Haas first.

Big Tea

ringo wrote: ↑
01 Jun 2018, 21:26
Unless he is 'released' I don't see Bottas going to Ferrari. If you are in a car finishing second with occasional wins, why go to a car that will be finishing 4th with occasional podiums?
Things happen, but in most 'normal' races the 2 mercs and one Ferrari will be the podium.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.