General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
loner

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Talisman wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 23:17
PhillipM wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 22:44

The 10-12bhp figure is peak power for the Renault.
My hunch is that the Honda upgrade will be in the same ballpark as the Renault. Nothing much will change.
i don't think Hartley would call 10 hp a sizable upgrade
HPD wrote:
30 May 2018, 14:26
Hartley:
“I’m still pretty positive for Montreal,” he said.
“We have an engine update coming, and we had a new floor here so we had some performance to put on the car.
“It looks like the team is really starting to unlock the car’s potential.”
Pressed on Honda’s forthcoming update, he said: “I don’t know exact numbers, I think it’s better you ask someone from Honda or Toro Rosso.
“But I think it’s meant to be a sizeable step.”
https://as.com/motor/2018/05/30/formula ... 20235.html
para bellum.

PhillipM

10-12bhp peak IS a sizeable step in F1 - that's a pure gain of a tenth of a second in performance. And even better in this formula - it always comes as an efficency boost meaning you use less fuel too, so you can fuel save less and push it harder or run the car lighter at the start of the race.
Don't get used to all the journo figures that add 5bhp every time they repeat them for an update. If you took what people speculate and the press said for every update the Merc would be a Saturn V by now.

etusch

Turkish motorsport.com says there is 40 hp for only Gasly. It says the news based on spanish Press.
I think this can not be true. Because if you get 40 hp you don't care about penalty in the situation.

https://tr.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda ... k/3115775/

PhillipM

No, 40hp you wouldn't care about the grid penalty you'd just take it.

dren

I thought it was a 10hp gain but the deficit was more like 20hp to Renault, but then based on that logic, I figure they'll get a 50hp gain because that just sounds good although now that I think more about it, it probably is 30hp, so we'll just say 40hp gain which is really more like 75hp peak. So yeah, Honda is bringing an upgrade.
Honda!

TakataDomeNSX

Umm does anyone have a link to where Honda said they don't mind Aston being the title sponsor?

!Technical

I like that Honda is being very careful in managing everyone's expectations for this upgrade. Do the talking on the track because the track is the true opponent. Dialling the PU in to suit the characteristics of the track remains a key part of the success of a race weekend. Also ensuring that the driver can utilise the full spectrum of PU output with no drivability issues.

Bring on the weekend!

McHonda

TakataDomeNSX wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 16:49
Umm does anyone have a link to where Honda said they don't mind Aston being the title sponsor?
On page 49 hasika translated some comments from Yamamoto from an interview in Japan..

I respect the partnership with Toro Rosso and i have many communication with Tost.We dont want to change the relationship with Toro Rosso.So we are thinking about what the relationship should be with Red Bull.Luckly,they are one group.So i am talking about the all things with Marko.

Aston Martin is a supercar maker,but we also have our NSX.So we had some discussion about team name.But the team name wont change,and i do not care much about it.But,personally i cant accept Honda engine is baged as Tag Heuer.I think Tag Heuer is OK as the team's Sponsor.I dont know how things will go finally at the moment.But its(Aston Martin and Tag Heuer) very clear between me and Marko

roon

dren wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 15:30
...I figure they'll get a 50hp gain because that just sounds good although now that I think more about it, it probably is 30hp, so we'll just say 40hp gain which is really more like 75hp peak. So yeah, Honda is bringing an upgrade.
Yeah, but 100hp sounds even better, so it's probably 100hp. Then again, 200hp does sound really good as well. But now that I think of it, 300hp has an even better sound.

TakataDomeNSX

McHonda wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 02:01
TakataDomeNSX wrote:
On page 49 hasika translated some comments from Yamamoto from an interview in Japan..

I respect the partnership with Toro Rosso and i have many communication with Tost.We dont want to change the relationship with Toro Rosso.So we are thinking about what the relationship should be with Red Bull.Luckly,they are one group.So i am talking about the all things with Marko.

Aston Martin is a supercar maker,but we also have our NSX.So we had some discussion about team name.But the team name wont change,and i do not care much about it.But,personally i cant accept Honda engine is baged as Tag Heuer.I think Tag Heuer is OK as the team's Sponsor.I dont know how things will go finally at the moment.But its(Aston Martin and Tag Heuer) very clear between me and Marko
Thanks!

For me this doesn't confirm that Honda accepts Aston, it's a little ambiguous for my understanding. Team name is Red Bull or Aston Martin Red Bull Racing? It seems he accepts if the team is called Tag Heuer Red Bull Honda Racing, he doesnt specifically say that about Aston, otherwise he would say Aston as a sponsor is OK, so it's up in the air for me.

McHonda

TakataDomeNSX wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 03:30
McHonda wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 02:01
TakataDomeNSX wrote:

Thanks!

For me this doesn't confirm that Honda accepts Aston, it's a little ambiguous for my understanding. Team name is Red Bull or Aston Martin Red Bull Racing? It seems he accepts if the team is called Tag Heuer Red Bull Honda Racing, he doesnt specifically say that about Aston, otherwise he would say Aston as a sponsor is OK, so it's up in the air for me.

He says the team name wont change though which is Aston Martin Red Bull Racing currently and then says he doesn't care much anyway but points out what he won't accept which is the Tag engine branding part. I don't think Tag will be in the team name, he just means revert to a highly visible team sponsor like Esso I'm sure.

Seems clear to me but we'll see soon enough.

roon

Getting a bit long. May have to resort to acronyms. How about: HAMRBRTH, said as "hammer birth." Apropos if the RB15 becomes the sledge which dents the silver curtain.

nzjrs

roon wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 02:25
dren wrote:
...I figure they'll get a 50hp gain because that just sounds good although now that I think more about it, it probably is 30hp, so we'll just say 40hp gain which is really more like 75hp peak. So yeah, Honda is bringing an upgrade.
Yeah, but 100hp sounds even better, so it's probably 100hp. Then again, 200hp does sound really good as well. But now that I think of it, 300hp has an even better sound.
I read dren as being clearly sarcastic. YMMV

dren

roon wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 09:01
Getting a bit long. May have to resort to acronyms. How about: HAMRBRTH, said as "hammer birth." Apropos if the RB15 becomes the sledge which dents the silver curtain.
It might suit Max's driving style.
Honda!

dren

nzjrs wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 09:22
roon wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 02:25
dren wrote:
I read dren as being clearly sarcastic. YMMV
I thought roon was too?
Honda!