2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

proteus wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:36
RonDennis wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:29
mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:26
There are some spectacular meltdowns in here. This was always going to be a sh*t track for Mclaren, yet folks seem surprised? After top of the midfield on Monaco, prior to issues, the car is now appalling. And after three years of barely being able to finish a race and drinking fuel for fun,now it is clear we should have stayed with Honda....

Seriously, what complete and utter over emotional rubbish!!
Well I already said that the car was appalling from day one. Everyone inside McLaren probably felt the same way, but people in here are already satisfied when McLaren end's up in the top 10, lapping two seconds slower than Red Bull. I don't really care about the positions, but I always look at the gap. The chassis is just a turd.
I allways admire u "i told u so" people.
You don't have to admire me, I guess you're happy with McLaren being slower than almost every team on track. Vandoorne didn't reach Q3 once this season, but that's totally normally. Let's just blame the switch to Renault, it's the easiest way.
mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:43
RonDennis wrote:
mwillems wrote:
There are some spectacular meltdowns in here. This was always going to be a sh*t track for Mclaren, yet folks seem surprised? After top of the midfield on Monaco, prior to issues, the car is now appalling. And after three years of barely being able to finish a race and drinking fuel for fun,now it is clear we should have stayed with Honda....

Well I already said that the car was appalling from day one. Everyone inside McLaren probably felt the same way, but people in here are already satisfied when McLaren end's up in the top 10, lapping two seconds slower than Red Bull. I don't really care about the positions, but I always look at the gap. The chassis is just a turd.
The car can compete at the front end of midfield, regularly. The car is not rubbish, it just isn't great.
Wow, they can beat Force India, so impressive. Yeah, that clearly shows that the car is not rubbish. Sorry, but we're talking about a team that thought they had one of the best chassis in 2017. They are now more than two seconds slow than the Red Bull, on a 1.10 track. It's just a big piece of --- and it has been from day one. It's time for McLaren to make changes, but it clearly isn't working and it probably hasn't been working for the last four years.
Last edited by RonDennis on 09 Jun 2018, 21:49, edited 3 times in total.

McL-H

mwillems wrote:

This is a sh*t track for RBR too! Yet, although they struggle more than on other circuits, they remain competitive! McLaren is 0.3 seconds off a Sauber on P14. Not weird people expect more than this, regardless of Canada being a weaker track on paper!
They are a second off Hulkenberg fgs.

Nonserviam85

mwillems wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
mwillems wrote:

The car can compete at the front end of midfield, regularly. The car is not rubbish, it just isn't great.
But that's the problem here. McLaren made all the glorious declarations last year of having the best chassis on the grid and Honda was letting them down. Now it is becoming clearer and clearer that this wasn't the case.

nirvaand

mwillems wrote:
But everyone who has been in this thread knows that the consensus was that this would be a bad race. But even after one bad race, we will still be midfield runners, not Williams, and still pushing for the top of midfield. Not every track is enormous straights.
Unfortunately, the coming 3-4 races are all power tracks as well. So I expect them to struggle, unless they bring some much needed upgrades of course.

mwillems

McL-H wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:45
mwillems wrote:

This is a sh*t track for RBR too! Yet, although they struggle more than on other circuits, they remain competitive! McLaren is 0.3 seconds off a Sauber on P14. Not weird people expect more than this, regardless of Canada being a weaker track on paper!
They are a second off Hulkenberg fgs.
Why is it a sh*t track for RBR? Their amazing aero efficiency makes up for a fair amount of their Engine Power loss. Plus extremely good on tyres, which may help them tomorrow. Not best track for sure, but not a sh*t track by any stretch of the imagination. And with many Mercedes engines pushing their luck, who knows what will happen...
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

godlameroso

They're .8 seconds faster than they were last year, probably due to the tires.

This is the reason they're slow I hope to god this piece breaks off in the race so they can have the pace to wind up in the points.
Saishū kōnā

mwillems

RonDennis wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:44
proteus wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:36
RonDennis wrote:

I allways admire u "i told u so" people.
You don't have to admire me, I guess you're happy with McLaren being slower than almost every team on track. Vandoorne didn't reach Q3 once this season, but that's totally normally. Let's just blame the switch to Renault, it's the easiest way.
mwillems wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

Wow, they can beat Force India, so impressive. Yeah, that clearly shows that the car is not rubbish. Sorry, but we're talking about a team that thought they had one of the best chassis in 2017. They are now more than two seconds slow than the Red Bull, on a 1.10 track. It's just a big piece of --- and it has been from day one. It's time for McLaren to make changes, but it clearly isn't working and it probably hasn't been working for the last four years.
It's your choice to buy into that PR BS.

mwillems

Nonserviam85 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:47
mwillems wrote:
RonDennis wrote:

But that's the problem here. McLaren made all the glorious declarations last year of having the best chassis on the grid and Honda was letting them down. Now it is becoming clearer and clearer that this wasn't the case.
Possibly that is the case. Or possibly they royally screwed up something fundamental on the car this year, by being too ambitious and not doing their calculations.

Anyways, All I'm saying is, one track hasn't made redundant the good progress we have made so far this year. Reliability withstanding I think we will finish much higher up the order tomorrow. Some merc engined cars will drop, we look after our tyres and of course, Alonso.

RonDennis

mwillems wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 21:53
Nonserviam85 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Possibly that is the case. Or possibly they royally screwed up something fundamental on the car this year, by being too ambitious and not doing their calculations.

Anyways, All I'm saying is, one track hasn't made redundant the good progress we have made so far this year. Reliability withstanding I think we will finish much higher up the order tomorrow. Some merc engined cars will drop, we look after our tyres and of course, Alonso.
Good progress, :lol: . They got lucky in a few races. McLaren should leave F1 and join Indy.
Last edited by RonDennis on 09 Jun 2018, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

JonoNic

godlameroso wrote:They're .8 seconds faster than they were last year, probably due to the tires.

This is the reason they're slow I hope to god this piece breaks off in the race so they can have the pace to wind up in the points.
Wow! That flap looks almost perpendicular to the direction of travel.
Always find the gap then use it.

Nonserviam85

mwillems wrote:
Nonserviam85 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Sorry, but did you realise that Gasly was faster with old spec Honda than both McLarens in the new spec Renault?

RonDennis

McLaren b-spec leaked.

JonoNic

RonDennis wrote:McLaren b-spec leaked.

From GP2 engine to GP2 chassis?
Always find the gap then use it.

techman

above, mclaren was a gp2 chassis for some time , it just got exposed this season. thats the differnce. if i was the boss of mclaren i will get rid of eric b. get more aero and technical staff. and work early on next years car.

mwillems

Nonserviam85 wrote:
09 Jun 2018, 22:01
mwillems wrote:
Nonserviam85 wrote:

Sorry, but did you realise that Gasly was faster with old spec Honda than both McLarens in the new spec Renault?
Yes, I did.

I think you can have a good car with good power, but if you don't have the ability to lay that power on the ground, you are in trouble. This is Mclarens main issue I believe. This track will be the worst for the Mclaren car.

As for us benefiting from bad luck, we also lost points at Monaco from a good 7th place on merit. Horses for courses.