2018 Le Mans 24 hours

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Maritimer

Re: 2018 Le Mans 24 hours

This will be the first year in a long while I won't be watching. P1 is a joke, privateers mandated to run slower ETs and shorter stints than Toyota, fuel flow cut back to reduce their speed, typical ACO. Oreca running away in P2 as per usual, Porsche wiping the floor in GT. Yawn.

ispano6

Really hope Kobayashi wins this year, he actually deserves it. Wouldn't be surprised to see the pole car retire.

maguetox

Maritimer wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 00:51
This will be the first year in a long while I won't be watching. P1 is a joke, privateers mandated to run slower ETs and shorter stints than Toyota, fuel flow cut back to reduce their speed, typical ACO. Oreca running away in P2 as per usual, Porsche wiping the floor in GT. Yawn.
Agree this is an effort from WEC to give Alonso the Le Mans win best chance in order to help him with his triple crown assault.

johnny vee

Maritimer wrote:
I am sorry that you feel this way. I understand your points on the LMP1 non hybrid challenges, but there in and of itself will be a very tight battle. Plus if the Toyotas run in to some engine or gearbox trouble then a non hybrid LMP1 can get in there.
There are 20 LMP2 cars, the most there has ever been, very tight battles there too, plus I am sure some of the LMP2 will overtake some non hybrid LMP1s....

Porsche wiping the floor in GT...yes they have some extra money since exiting LMP1 so that their GT program benefits from that. But it is a long race....Ford GT is still very competitive although qualy didn't show it. Also new Aston Martins vs. 4 year old Corvettes
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

J.A.W.

As fully expected, Toyota have duly scored pole..
& so now.. it only remains to be seen.. if that position holds.. at the end of a mere.. 24hrs hard on track action..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

johnny vee

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/ ... r-1046317/

Porsche, which along was Ford was hit with a weight penalty in the latest Balance of Performance, was sixth-fastest courtesy of Nick Tandy's best time in the #93 car, behind the second of the Fords.

Aston Martin set the eighth quickest time after its Vantage GTE was handed a double performance break after its poor qualifying performance, while the best of the BMW M8s was 10th.

So Aston Martin is losing time on the straights but is fast through the Porsche curves...
BoP helping Aston....but i think the Corvettes will beat the Astons but will be behind the Porsche, Ford and Ferraris.
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

basti313

Maritimer wrote:
This will be the first year in a long while I won't be watching.
I will take a look, just to see some cars running this weekend.
But I agree: It is a joke. Toyota is without any opponent, only two cars and the better drivers all in one car. They will just run as slow as possible for risk limitation, use very conservative mappings/oil and still lap the "opponents" several times.
Maritimer wrote:
P1 is a joke, privateers mandated to run slower ETs and shorter stints than Toyota, fuel flow cut back to reduce their speed, typical ACO. Oreca running away in P2 as per usual, Porsche wiping the floor in GT. Yawn.
Well, they introduced the rules to make everyone run hybrid systems. Too expensive for privateers. With Audi and Porsche dropping out, they should have scrapped the idea and changed the rules immediately. It was a big fault to force a non-competitiveness in LMP1.
LMP2 looks better.
Don`t russel the hamster!

jjn9128

Lotterer.. what a plum!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

RicME85 wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 15:06
ridiculous thing to do so early :D
What trying to win a 24hr race... in turn 1... against a car which would have re-passed before the next corner?!?! #-o
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

McHonda

maguetox wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 05:53
Maritimer wrote:
Agree this is an effort from WEC to give Alonso the Le Mans win best chance in order to help him with his triple crown assault.
Wasn't all of that decided before Alonso joined Toyota?

motobaleno

johnny vee wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 07:46

Porsche wiping the floor in GT...yes they have some extra money since exiting LMP1 so that their GT program benefits from that. But it is a long race....Ford GT is still very competitive although qualy didn't show it. Also new Aston Martins vs. 4 year old Corvettes
The only thing porsche benefits from is a veeeery generous BoP.
GT-Class with its remind to real road cars could potentially be spectacular.
but BoP reduces it to a pure political risiko.

bdr529

motobaleno wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 19:08
johnny vee wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 07:46

The only thing porsche benefits from is a veeeery generous BoP.
GT-Class with its remind to real road cars could potentially be spectacular.
but BoP reduces it to a pure political risiko.
"Veeeery generous BoP" I guess you didn't know, but they got stuck with an extra 10kg for the race

roon

Press says Lotterer managed to hit Alonso before the first corner, but it's not clear to me in the video.

roon

Maritimer wrote:
What will the situation be in 2019?