2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
techman

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

i just wondering if the overheating issues are again causing all these exhaust issues and gearbox failures in mclaren. like we saw in testing.

diffuser

techman wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 02:39
i just wondering if the overheating issues are again causing all these exhaust issues and gearbox failures in mclaren. like we saw in testing.
[\quote]

You mean the browning of the paint on the PU cover?

Pretty sure they just had 2 failures with the transmission? 1 for each driver and ALO's was the the 7th race, the last race that transmission would have run? I think the transmission issue is minor. I really haven't been watching Vandorne too closely, often he's out of the points, ALO finished the first 6 races. Probably had the most Mileage (of the Renault cars at-least) at that point.

GhostF1

makecry wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 22:21
BrunoH wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 22:09
looks like alonso is not loosing on acceleration but on mid to top speed constantly
In last 1/3rd of 2017, there was an article on AMuS in which they said Honda is able to keep up with the competition initially but once the MGU-H comes into play they lose out. It’s very apparent here.
Lol Speculative. It also points to high downforce which at high speeds would be limiting top speed. How that bit of info from the telemetry allowed you to extrapolate it's the MGU-H and nothing else is beyond me.

techman

You mean the browning of the paint on the PU cover?

Pretty sure they just had 2 failures with the transmission? 1 for each driver and ALO's was the the 7th race, the last race that transmission would have run? I think the transmission issue is minor. I really haven't been watching Vandorne too closely, often he's out of the points, ALO finished the first 6 races. Probably had the most Mileage (of the Renault cars at-least) at that point.
i dont know if you remember the b spec car that was brought to spain, had a much tighter engine cover. wondering if this made the overheating problem to come up again. spain was a gearbox failure, monaco another gearbox for alonso and canada overheated exhaust and vandorne had intermitent power loss. could be a overheating cause?

PhillipM

It didn't have any tighter engine cover, we thought so initially driven by reports from the paddock, but after looking at it when more photo's at different angles came through it appeared exactly the same.

mwillems

Its an interesting point though. Is it possible they are playing with the internal cooling layout now, but only shrinking the car once they have the solution they want?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mclaren111

Planet F1:
McLaren are reportedly facing a ‘revolt from disgruntled staff’ who want former team boss Martin Whitmarsh back at the helm as the team’s on-track woes continue.
Whitmarsh:
“It needs a big change of approach. There is too much politics between the main figures. I think a number of them have to go. I have explained my view to Mansour and it is for the shareholders to decide what to do.
Full article:
http://www.f1reader.com/list/news/lates ... ion-199750

Fingers crossed !! [-o< [-o<

johnny vee

mclaren111 wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 09:42
Planet F1:
McLaren are reportedly facing a ‘revolt from disgruntled staff’ who want former team boss Martin Whitmarsh back at the helm as the team’s on-track woes continue.
Whitmarsh:
“It needs a big change of approach. There is too much politics between the main figures. I think a number of them have to go. I have explained my view to Mansour and it is for the shareholders to decide what to do.
Full article:
http://www.f1reader.com/list/news/lates ... ion-199750

Fingers crossed !! [-o< [-o<
i concur....
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

GoranF1

Earthquake at MTC.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

McMika98

Bring back Ron Dennis, that is the only solution.

mclaren111

Ron's days are over.

With Whitmarsh we stand a good change !!

Big Tea

OH dear. Not a good sign.
Once company politics become public knowledge it crosses a boundary. I am in favour of bringing in Whitmarsh, he was wrongly scapegoated, but once splits and factions this big appear in a company like this it usually gets messy. People have to work together with the same objectives to get results, not trying to prove different points

If Whitmarsh comes back now, he will need to be accompanied by a real hard nose hatchet man, and good people will have to be moved if not released.
Just as he was seen a s the cause of their problems when they dumped him, he will be seen as a failed redeemer if he does not have the team turned around in a few weeks, and becomes a target again.

Things look to be going from bad to worse for Mclaren. I hope not, but I fear it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mclaren111

Here's their E-Mail address: contactus@bmhc.bh

Maybe it will help if we send them our requests ??

godlameroso

Politics is poison, for the simple fact that it deals with the perception of, instead of actual reality. When politics takes over it amounts to finger pointing and dog eat dog behavior.

At least with Ron there was no politics below him, there was a strong established hierarchy. The racing team was somewhat isolated and the politics were kept at a reasonable level.

The only thing that will stop the politics is results, however politics itself is what's hampering car development. There's no easy way out of such a situation.

The funny part is the car is very good, it's just missing some crucial details which keep it from being top tier. And for the 100th time it's mostly an aero problem. Granted it's not an easy fix, but it's worth it for the performance it can bring. The last .5 to. 6 second gap after they fix the aero, they'll have to develop the hard way.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect

Everything about Mclaren's decline started with Whitmarsh. Bad pit stops, bad reliability, bad strategies, bad car designs, bad driver calls. They started 2011 with the fastest car, but faltered. They once again had the fastest car for at least half of the year in 2012, but poor reliability cost them. Let's not even go into the calamitous 2013, where common sense would have chosen evolution over revolution of a winning car, a year before a major rules overhaul.
Calling for Whitmarsh back is like Arsenal calling for Arsene Wenger back if the have a disappointing year or two after he left. The only difference is, Arsene Wenger actually won stuff before his decline.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.