2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
techman

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

mclaren did say they have a top 3 chasis. i remembe zak in suzuka interview mentioning that in their simulation if there was a renault engine, mclaren would be ahead in some races compared to redbull. no we know that all hype.

ALO_Power

techman wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 15:37
mclaren did say they have a top 3 chasis. i remembe zak in suzuka interview mentioning that in their simulation if there was a renault engine, mclaren would be ahead in some races compared to redbull. no we know that all hype.
Maybe would be possible, maybe not. MCL32 is not MCL33. Always relatively to competition. Don't forget that Red Bull had troubles as well at the start of 2017 season.

rogazilla

radosav wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 15:15
Why people repeat that they said they have got best chassis???
They never said that.
google 'McLaren Best Chassis 2017'

June 2017, Matt Morris was quoted they have one of the best car. - the easiest one to find and it is a quote.
Through the year and different interviews Alonso and EB also touted they had 'the best car TODAY' or 'top 3 cars' at some of the track. Some are quotes and some are journalist interpreted which I don't care for these. There was an article couple of weeks ago where it says Mclarent claim they had the best car to boost morale but no quote in that one.

makecry

rogazilla wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 16:06
radosav wrote:
They never said that.

June 2017, Matt Morris was quoted they have one of the best car. - the easiest one to find and it is a quote.
Through the year and different interviews Alonso and EB also touted they had 'the best car TODAY' or 'top 3 cars' at some of the track. Some are quotes and some are journalist interpreted which I don't care for these. There was an article couple of weeks ago where it says Mclarent claim they had the best car to boost morale but no quote in that one.
There is a HUGE difference between the best and one of the best. Also MCL33 =/= MCL32. I'd think the "Technical" people here on this forum would know that.
Last edited by makecry on 20 Jun 2018, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

radosav

rogazilla wrote:
radosav wrote:
They never said that.

Top three isn't best chassis. And some claims of some journalists....
Show me proof , video or reliable source of those claims.

rogazilla

radosav wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 16:12
rogazilla wrote:
radosav wrote:
They never said that.

I am just saying that's where it comes from and you can google it. There are articles through 2017. I am not making the claim or defend it in anyway as I said and you quoted about how I feel about the articles with no quote. this is OT at this point and no reason to dwell on the past. Where Mclaren is today and where they can be by end of the season is more important.

radosav

rogazilla wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 16:22
radosav wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 16:12
rogazilla wrote:

I am just saying that's where it comes from and you can google it. There are articles through 2017. I am not making the claim or defend it in anyway as I said and you quoted about how I feel about the articles with no quote. this is OT at this point and no reason to dwell on the past. Where Mclaren is today and where they can be by end of the season is more important.
Ok

Ground Effect

Does anybody know the track characteristics of Paul Ricard, is it similar to Canada, meaning Mclaren expected to struggle?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McHonda

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 16:36
Does anybody know the track characteristics of Paul Ricard, is it similar to Canada, meaning Mclaren expected to struggle?
Not as stop start as Canada but still basically just straights and slow and medium corners so it will sting again but maybe not as bad. As will Austria although the driver can make a bit of a difference in S3 there with how they attack the last two corners.

Silverstone even without upgrades would be much better.

mwillems

Alonso Fan wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 14:06
They've been on renault's pace in the most resent races. It's just qualifying pace they lack. If they can sort that out they can easily beat Renault in the races and get that fourth place back
This is assuming that the same vehicle trait that causes slow Qualy pace, isn't the reason why the car does so well in the race, and that fixing the issue doesn't slow down race pace a little as it improves Qualy.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

PhillipM

The upside for Mclaren is there's no Hypersofts here, and they seem to work the other tyres well.

Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 17:17
The upside for Mclaren is there's no Hypersofts here, and they seem to work the other tyres well.
It's surprising that they struggle so badly on the hypersofts, considering they spent most of pre-season testing on them. I thought they would have had them figured out. I guess the cold weather and corresponding track temperature then negates most of the data collected.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

PhillipM

Pretty much, you're not getting much relevant tyre data with temperatures that far out, that's why Merc just runs the mediums every winter.

Ground Effect

Mclaren respond regarding Whitmarsh

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... ut-f1-team

Chicane

Martin Whitmarsh clearly wants to make a comeback but the doors are firmly shut and in view of that his statements have to be taken with dollops of salt.
Quickshifter