2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 18:08
Mclaren respond regarding Whitmarsh

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... ut-f1-team

100% agree. Mclaren needs a 'daddy' to make sure the kids get on and get things don in the right way and by the right time. And I do not mean that in a derogatory sense, just in the sense that all family concerns need a leader, so do big companies where people get their own freedom.

With a rigid structure it happens due to working practices. With something like F1 it needs a figure head.
I also think much of the same problem is Williams downfall
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

UlleGulle

I'd like to hear your speculation on a subject. If they were to kick out Boullier at the end of the season, who should McLaren recruit in his place?

At the moment they seem to have a situation of creative inbreeding and political infighting compareable of Ferrari at it's worst moments. In my humble and completetly unfounded opinion, they should go for an external recruitment. So, who would be good for them? And who can they get?

Horner, Wolf and Arrivabene are out, that would be a huge step down for them, although all three of them have done the job before. The principles of the mid-field teams might be tempted by the facilities and budget of McLaren. Lucky for McLaren Cyril Abiteboul seems to be where he wants to be, so he's out. Robert Fernley is good at making good cars on a shoestring budget, but could he do great cars on a lavish budget? That's a big question mark. Guenther Steiner seems to be a excellent doer, and has a toughness to him that would be needed. But does he really have the experience to run a big team? Tost and Vasseur are just to small fish to make it work at the moment.

Paddy Lowe might be a name under consideration, and perhaps he is just better at a big team than a small. On the other hand Mercedes doesnt seem to crumble after his departure.

Ah, what the heck, considering the choices McLaren has done lately, they'll probably go for Monisha Kaltenborn. That would be great news for Williams, who would no longer be last.

Big Tea

UlleGulle wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 19:25
I'd like to hear your speculation on a subject. If they were to kick out Boullier at the end of the season, who should McLaren recruit in his place?

At the moment they seem to have a situation of creative inbreeding and political infighting compareable of Ferrari at it's worst moments. In my humble and completetly unfounded opinion, they should go for an external recruitment. So, who would be good for them? And who can they get?

Horner, Wolf and Arrivabene are out, that would be a huge step down for them, although all three of them have done the job before. The principles of the mid-field teams might be tempted by the facilities and budget of McLaren. Lucky for McLaren Cyril Abiteboul seems to be where he wants to be, so he's out. Robert Fernley is good at making good cars on a shoestring budget, but could he do great cars on a lavish budget? That's a big question mark. Guenther Steiner seems to be a excellent doer, and has a toughness to him that would be needed. But does he really have the experience to run a big team? Tost and Vasseur are just to small fish to make it work at the moment.

Paddy Lowe might be a name under consideration, and perhaps he is just better at a big team than a small. On the other hand Mercedes doesnt seem to crumble after his departure.

Ah, what the heck, considering the choices McLaren has done lately, they'll probably go for Monisha Kaltenborn. That would be great news for Williams, who would no longer be last.
No but's Haug.

Alonso Fan

mwillems wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 17:14
Alonso Fan wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 14:06
They've been on renault's pace in the most resent races. It's just qualifying pace they lack. If they can sort that out they can easily beat Renault in the races and get that fourth place back
This is assuming that the same vehicle trait that causes slow Qualy pace, isn't the reason why the car does so well in the race, and that fixing the issue doesn't slow down race pace a little as it improves Qualy.
Yes true.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Big Tea

Big Tea wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 19:28
UlleGulle wrote:

No but's Haug.

It does not have to be a team manager, just a figure head with the ultimate authority on the F1 sites.

kfrantzios

Abiteboul on Autosport : "There are a number of things that we could not offer, like financial support, like access to core facilities, because our priority and focus is on the consolidation of the performance of Renault Sport F1."

He suggested having just one customer team in McLaren "is good for us because it will allow us to really focus" on the works Renault programme.

"Obviously when you supply Red Bull Racing, which is a high-maintenance team because of their ambition and their expectation, it is always a bit of a distraction for the rest that we have to do," said Abiteboul.

Alonso Fan

Alonso Fan wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 15:09
I still can't believe how many of you people fell for their marketing hype last year. The chassis was definitely better than this years but also definitely not the best as they claimed.

Personally I didn't pay much attention to the hype and up talk. Its probably why I look more positively at the situation this year
Lol some people on here need to go back to primary school and retake reading comprehension classes.

Quoted post downvoted with the reason as 'wrong, no best chassis'.

When did I say they had the best chassis?

Laughable (and worrying at the same time)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

kfrantzios wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 19:31
Abiteboul on Autosport : "There are a number of things that we could not offer, like financial support, like access to core facilities, because our priority and focus is on the consolidation of the performance of Renault Sport F1."

He suggested having just one customer team in McLaren "is good for us because it will allow us to really focus" on the works Renault programme.

"Obviously when you supply Red Bull Racing, which is a high-maintenance team because of their ambition and their expectation, it is always a bit of a distraction for the rest that we have to do," said Abiteboul.
This is interesting. I also read something about a spec C which will debut later this year. Has there been any more info regarding this?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

Re: McLaren MCL33

Nuvolari wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 17:57
More cooling holes in the engine cover?

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 171377.jpg

Source: AMuS
New sponsor on the engine cover?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

GoranF1

Off topic
Can someone direct me(Alonso fan) to a Indycar thread on this forum, if it exsits?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

M840TR

Alonso Fan wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 19:37
kfrantzios wrote:

This is interesting. I also read something about a spec C which will debut later this year. Has there been any more info regarding this?
Only that they expect 0.5 sec improvement throughout the season.

diffuser

UlleGulle wrote:

Paddy Lowe is a designer. People keep thinking EB is a technical person, He's just a manager.
The way I understand it is, As race director, he's responsible for everything to do with a race. Everything from Getting cars and people to and from races to pit stops and the car setup. He doesn't do any of that himself, he just manages the people who do.

Edax

kfrantzios wrote:
I can’t imagine it is meant this way, but it almost reads like: “and Mclaren is not”

the EDGE

Edax wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 20:21
kfrantzios wrote:
I can’t imagine it is meant this way, but it almost reads like: “and Mclaren is not”
Well their not are they, not at the moment anyway

Redragon

diffuser wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 20:03
UlleGulle wrote:

Paddy Lowe is a designer. People keep thinking EB is a technical person, He's just a manager.
The way I understand it is, As race director, he's responsible for everything to do with a race. Everything from Getting cars and people to and from races to pit stops and the car setup. He doesn't do any of that himself, he just manages the people who do.
Briatore would be a move with some balls!