2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JeFW-14B

Re: 2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

Dirk de Beer stepped down, now Dave is back in his position again, so I want to know the aero will be going back to that not perfect low resistance like 2014-2017 again? or will there be new concept from Doug?

godsire

This must be a really bad place to work right now, even for Paddy Lowe:

Mr Brooksy

It certainly is a very bad situation! I'm really surprised however that McLaren have just started tumbling down the grid just like us.

What is going on at Britians 2 most successful F1 teams?

I don't think anyone at Williams will want to remember 2018 once this nightmare ends.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Zynerji

I bet Kubica is happy he didn't get the full time drive at this point..

JoeE

godsire wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 13:30
https://gfycat.com/FlatDifferentCats

Who is that giving Paddy the bollocking

bill shoe

That would be Mr. Lawrence Stroll, father of Lance Stroll. Lawrence has some significance to the finance of Williams. Paddy must be wondering why he is not somewhere else right now.

TwanV

JoeE wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 21:18
godsire wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 13:30
https://gfycat.com/FlatDifferentCats
Who is that giving Paddy the bollocking
Shameful.. Let's hope the Strolls leave F1 soon, more painful every race.

(I have a feeling why PL is bullied by daddy, imagine having to work with these guys)

tinvek

given how bad the car is and the lack of an experienced driver to try and develop the car and guide him through a very trying period, stroll isn't actually doing too bad if you just look at his performances, it's just his personality in interviews that stops me liking him, an attitude of "we've got money so everyone must be nice to me".

to be honest i can understand stroll senior not being happy as he can see his money and his son's career being wasted but there's no excuse to treat paddy like that where it can be caught on camera, once again it smells of "we've got the money and don't care about you "

sprint car76

Treat paddy like what? Sounds like your reading your feelings into the situation. Williams paid a high price to get paddy from merc. This car was to be the first car that was totally under paddy's control. No one can dispute that the car has been a disaster. I can fully understand stroll's dad's frustration. He has invested a lot of money into the team and because of that him and his son have had to put up with a lot of flack. It's not his fault that the williams team has designed a dud. They not only designed a dud they don't seem to have any answers to fix it. Racing is a high pressure business where only results count. Right now williams is looking pretty bad when a team like haas can come in and easily outscore them with less of a budget.

It gets tiresome reading the excuses that the fault lies with the drivers. Kubica's opinion about the car is it's "embarrassing".

Big Tea

tinvek wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 13:32
given how bad the car is and the lack of an experienced driver to try and develop the car and guide him through a very trying period, stroll isn't actually doing too bad if you just look at his performances, it's just his personality in interviews that stops me liking him, an attitude of "we've got money so everyone must be nice to me".

to be honest i can understand stroll senior not being happy as he can see his money and his son's career being wasted but there's no excuse to treat paddy like that where it can be caught on camera, once again it smells of "we've got the money and don't care about you "
I though the same when I saw the vid, then reaised without the sound we really have no clue what was being said.
(is there a version with sound?)

It did look like Strol snr was having a rant and talking down at Paddy like a school boy and laying into him.
But, it may well be that Paddy had 'advised' the tyre would be fine, or some other thing the team would expect an engineer to know or have a pretty good shot at.

Emotions run high, I will reserve my judgment until we hear more.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PhillipM

It looks like Paddy is laughing when he turns away to be honest, reading far too much into a slow-mo soundless clip.

rscsr

tinvek wrote:

I don't quite get how someone can think that Stroll is doing a good job. Yeah he is about as fast as Sirotkin, but he was last year quite often a second slower than Massa, after all that preparation the year before.
In my book both are about on the same level as Ericsson, and Leclerc is usually more than 7 tenths quicker than Ericsson.
So I think the main problem with the performance of Williams is just down to the drivers and a non-paydriver would put the car somewhere around 10-12th.

Big Tea

rscsr wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 21:50
tinvek wrote:

I don't quite get how someone can think that Stroll is doing a good job. Yeah he is about as fast as Sirotkin, but he was last year quite often a second slower than Massa, after all that preparation the year before.
In my book both are about on the same level as Ericsson, and Leclerc is usually more than 7 tenths quicker than Ericsson.
So I think the main problem with the performance of Williams is just down to the drivers and a non-paydriver would put the car somewhere around 10-12th.
But if his job is to bring money to the team....

He makes no pretense otherwise to be fair to him. Also I do not think he is as bad as some would say when you consider the car he is driving,
You can only compare him to his team mate as they are the only ones in the same car
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

sprint car76

Anybody who thinks better non-paying drivers would help this team, name one that was available when williams was looking for a driver. If you say a veteran driver would help, what do you call kubica. Kubica did the whole last test and declared the car "embarrassing"

You have to ask the question, why did merc let paddy lowe move to williams so easily? If he was that valuable and a core of their team why did they not fight to keep him? Like it our not this is paddy's car and pay drivers or not this car is a dud.

tillency

I hope that their results will improve, because it can not be seen.