Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

jh199

mantikos wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 16:59
bonjon1979 wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 16:48
RZS10 wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 16:32
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201806 ... 13e459.jpg

Is it possible that the mirror is just sitting on that stalk? One would expect a 'cleaner' bonding of the pieces otherwise - or does it have to be connected in order to be there in the first place?
in all fairness. I can't see how this is allowed but fins on Ferrari's Halo mirrors weren't.
Is it attached to the Halo?

No?

That's how
Plus, Ferraris extra element was mounted to the mirror mount itself. It wasn't actually mounted to the halo. So if the mirror was unstable, how is an element attached to the mount itself going to do anything? Not that Mercedes, FI's or RB's mounts are purely structural but they can certainly be argued that they are while Ferrari really cannot be.

Back to Mercedes, is the new sidepod opening more narrow but taller? Or is this just an optical illusion because they've shortened the inlet length? It also looks like the inlet is now further back than before. Would they have needed to rearrange the crash structure in order to do so? Much like how the Ferrari and Red Bull use the lip under the inlet as the side impact structure?

F1Krof

Now this is more like it :D . =D> =D> =D>

Waiting for these changes so much. Now lets see if they translate good on the track. The sidepods cooling inlet seems more like the Red Bulls, with an added touch of Merc style. Impressed.
Wroom wroom

Sevach
Sevach

Cascade not connecting to the endplate, new?

Vanja #66

Mattchu wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 15:25
Vanja #66 wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 11:31
You can't develop a car as fast as you want if it's reaching it's development limit.
Couldn`t resist :P
Couldn't resist what, mate? :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

atanatizante

1. What for are those thin alu-foils on that suspension arm?
2. That lower suspension wishbone arm looks strange or it`s just me?
3. The small fin attached the cockpit and underneath the mirror is new?
4. Is the slit in the bellow picture new?

"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

mantikos
mantikos

atanatizante wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 21:37
https://postimages.org/

That doesn't look like a wishbone at all - doesn't look connected to the wheel

RZS10

Has been like that all the time from that perspective

This is monaco

mantikos
mantikos

RZS10 wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 21:57
Has been like that all the time from that perspective

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 165344.jpg

This is monaco
Oh wow, never noticed....crazy

Vanja #66

atanatizante wrote:

1. What for are those thin alu-foils on that suspension arm?
3. The small fin attached the cockpit and underneath the mirror is new?
4. Is the slit in the bellow picture new?

1. Probably strips of tape to hold some tubes or other sensor cables
3. I don't think so, I've seen it in some practices. Maybe even in testing. Might have been smaller, though.
4. Don't think so either.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

giantfan10
giantfan10

Vanja #66 wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 19:35
Mattchu wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 15:25
Vanja #66 wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 11:31
You can't develop a car as fast as you want if it's reaching it's development limit.
Couldn`t resist :P
Couldn't resist what, mate? :)
"Beneath this the mandatory side impact protection bar now forms part of a separate structure. This has allowed the rest of the sidepod to be reduced in size, making it more aerodynamically efficient. It follows a trend started by Ferrari last year."

At the rear of the W09 the team appears to have taken inspiration from McLaren with a revised rear wing design. This mimics the shape seen on McLaren’s car since the current aerodynamic regulations were introduced at the beginning of last season

i suppose you just switch to other teams solutions when youres runs out of steam.
normal F1 behavior.

F1Krof

I have a feeling this new sidepod revamp will not work as good as the Ferrari's and Red Bull's. Theirs work better because they have at the maximum height. Mercedes' sidepod's are much lower and won't be as efficient at doing both cooling and aero performance.

What do you think?
Wroom wroom

mantikos
mantikos

F1Krof wrote:
28 Jun 2018, 23:59
I have a feeling this new sidepod revamp will not work as good as the Ferrari's and Red Bull's. Theirs work better because they have at the maximum height. Mercedes' sidepod's are much lower and won't be as efficient at doing both cooling and aero performance.

What do you think?
Disagree - because the side impact structure is in the same place for each of them, and all of them have their sidepods placed fairly consistently with each other - only Ferrari visually looks marginally higher, RB is about the same height.

F1Krof

mantikos wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 00:07
F1Krof wrote:

What do you think?
Disagree - because the side impact structure is in the same place for each of them, and all of them have their sidepods placed fairly consistently with each other - only Ferrari visually looks marginally higher, RB is about the same height.
Can we do side by side comparison? (If I had the time to sip through the photos I'd be doing them myself). But from the looks of it, I think Mercedes' is fairly lower than both of them, especially Ferrari's.
Wroom wroom

roon
roon

mantikos wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 00:07
F1Krof wrote:

What do you think?
The sidepod crash structures do have some variation in height based on teams' decision--there is some leeway in the rules, if I recall correctly. Regardless, the RB14 has the totality of its radiator inlet above the uppermost crash structure. As such, their inlet is higher, and it's upper lip/leading edge is thinner. Look at this photo and you'll see what I mean. Notice how thin the upper edge is. Ferrari do something similar, meaning, their inlet is also located above the uppermost crash structure.

atanatizante wrote:
Use the top of the safety cell/driver compartment as your visual reference--it is common amongst teams by regulation.
Last edited by roon on 29 Jun 2018, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.