2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
probenprinz
probenprinz

Re: 2018 Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 29 June - 1 July

GrandAxe wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:55
Chene_Mostert wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:41
GrandAxe wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:39

Tyres.
Yes, Merc should change them before they get to that state or make them last...
We've already had one explosive delamination this year. The Ferrari tyre in the pic has a particularly angry blister on the inside shoulder, its possible the Merc one has those on the shoulder too. Its just a matter of time before an accident.
What you see on ferrari's tires is pickup not blistering...

siskue2005

LM10 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:47
Sierra117 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 17:59
Incredible how the "custom made tyres" argument is still being passed around like some joint when it's been debunked over and over again by drivers themselves who liked them no less.
No matter it was debunked. I believe what I see myself and the thing I saw was that Ferrari had no problems with the tyres which means they did a good job building and setting up the car. However, they are not being rewarded for their work on 3 tracks this season as special tyres are used there. "For safety reasons" Pirelli told, but I didn't see any tyre related danger today. It spiced things up. And my opinion is that if Mercedes does a good job with their car and others need to close the gap then it can be the other way around and Mercedes can try to close the gap regarding tyre use.
Hmm...so the remaining 18 races pirelli are supplying tyres which suits Ferrari? :wtf:

wesley123
wesley123

iotar__ wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:24
- Hamilton after losing the lead, lost the plot, could not respond, lost motivation half way through and instead of racing Vettel preferred to race his team on the radio :D .
- What's the problem with the later stop if you can't make tyres last (very weird BTW) anyway?
Well, if the tactics would go to plan, he wouldn't have been in the position where he had to push and would probably have been able to finish the race on them.

iotar__ wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:24
Overall an odd albeit boring race, I would be sceptical if I cared.
I really don't know what they have to do to make a race interesting, if this wasn't it.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

sosic2121
sosic2121

Fulcrum wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 16:53
Pretty interesting race. Raikkonen had a couple of opportunities to win it.

Great start, then losing out to Bottas.
The touch with Verstappen.
Making a mistake that allowed Ricciardo past.

All of the above make for more than 1.5 seconds, and the Verstappen pass was basically what decided the race. This is the difference between Kimi at 25 and Kimi at 38.
+1
Although, that was not a clean pass. Some other driver might even get a penalty for such "pass"

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

siskue2005 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 19:10
LM10 wrote:
Sierra117 wrote:
Incredible how the "custom made tyres" argument is still being passed around like some joint when it's been debunked over and over again by drivers themselves who liked them no less.
No matter it was debunked. I believe what I see myself and the thing I saw was that Ferrari had no problems with the tyres which means they did a good job building and setting up the car. However, they are not being rewarded for their work on 3 tracks this season as special tyres are used there. "For safety reasons" Pirelli told, but I didn't see any tyre related danger today. It spiced things up. And my opinion is that if Mercedes does a good job with their car and others need to close the gap then it can be the other way around and Mercedes can try to close the gap regarding tyre use.
Hmm...so the remaining 18 races pirelli are supplying tyres which suits Ferrari? :wtf:
Nope. Pirelli will supply the tyre which they supplied in winter testing, and all teams had equal opportunity to develop their car around that tyre. It was same for everyone, so no, Pirelli will NOT supply any tyre that specifically suits Ferrari, and don't try to be over smart.

probenprinz
probenprinz

siskue2005 wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Sierra117 wrote:
No they will supply the tires omologated for the season already in last november

LM10
LM10

siskue2005 wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Sierra117 wrote:
What about Ferrari did a good job building their car depending on the tyres which were tested way before the season started? Why should FIA bother introducing other tyres on 3 tracks if they wanted to suit Ferrari overall?

In France on race pace Ferrari on the special tyres was way better than in Barcelona already. So they obviously managed the problems. Mercedes had plenty amount of time to manage their problems on the normal tyres too, but they didn't seem to have achieved that well enough.

komninosm
komninosm

probenprinz wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 19:07
GrandAxe wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:

We've already had one explosive delamination this year. The Ferrari tyre in the pic has a particularly angry blister on the inside shoulder, its possible the Merc one has those on the shoulder too. Its just a matter of time before an accident.
What you see on ferrari's tires is pickup not blistering...
Yeah, I think so too. They tell drivers to pick up rubber after a race end.
It's almost scandalous how these tires seem to favor Ferrari or the tire lottery is back.

Mercedes really poor strategy and management. They should have told Hamilton to stay out as long as possible with the first set of tires and then not push the next one and wait till the end to make passes. Keep at least 2 seconds distance and don't overheat or blister. I mean obviously they should have pitted during the VSC or tell Bottas where to park it properly first...
Telling Hamilton it was James's fault or to push then not to push then OK push was nonsense. Just pick a strategy and stick to it.
Last edited by komninosm on 01 Jul 2018, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

It is a terrible weekend for Merc BUT, if last two races are any indication, now their car is better. Therefore, they are my favorites for this season. I think Hamilton will win his 5th.

siskue2005

GrayGreat wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 19:16
siskue2005 wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Nope. Pirelli will supply the tyre which they supplied in winter testing, and all teams had equal opportunity to develop their car around that tyre. It was same for everyone, so no, Pirelli will NOT supply any tyre that specifically suits Ferrari, and don't try to be over smart.
How do we know it was not special tyres aimed at one team? As Ferrari and pirelli already showed collaboration in 2017 tyres?

siskue2005

LM10 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 19:22
siskue2005 wrote:
LM10 wrote:

What about Ferrari did a good job building their car depending on the tyres which were tested way before the season started? Why should FIA bother introducing other tyres on 3 tracks if they wanted to suit Ferrari overall?
How do u know pirelli is not favouring one team? How do u know that pirelli are not building tyres suiting one teams input only, like they already did in 2017?? About Those 3 tracks already Vettel already said those new tyres are better for them, they just didn't setup well for those races

siskue2005

probenprinz wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 19:18
siskue2005 wrote:
LM10 wrote:

No they will supply the tires omologated for the season already in last november
Who homologated them on which team's input only and why? Like they already did in 2017 tyres which suited Ferrari more from their input alone..

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

siskue2005 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 19:29
GrayGreat wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

How do we know it was not special tyres aimed at one team? As Ferrari and pirelli already showed collaboration in 2017 tyres?
Which occassion are you talking about? Official Pirelli tyre test where they invited teams (Mercedes, RedBull and Ferrari) to test tyres for them?

siskue2005

GrayGreat wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 19:37
siskue2005 wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 19:29
GrayGreat wrote:

Which occassion are you talking about? Official Pirelli tyre test where they invited teams (Mercedes, RedBull and Ferrari) to test tyres for them?
2016 tyre test were Ferrari had major chunk of testing and they even fed false aero data etc to get the tyres to suit them more...How do u think Ferrari closed the gap to Merc in 2017. 3rd best team in 2016 and bam top team in 2017

bielsista
bielsista

GrandAxe wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 18:39

Tyres.
That was picked-up marbles not blisters.