Acceleration of F1 car

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Tim.Wright

Re: Acceleration of F1 car

J.A.W. wrote:
19 May 2018, 10:42
Isn't it a general principle that such a motor delivers max torque at stall, & then tapers off towards high rpm?
Brushless DC motors have constant torque from zero up until they hit a power limit, then it drops off regressively. If I remember correctly this crossover point happens at around 110km/h for a Tesla S in ludicrous mode.
Not the engineer at Force India

Tommy Cookers

though a brushless DC motor will have peak torque at stall etc if given the same ('fixed') voltage at all rpm
(to limit it eg to constant torque at low rpm the drive will reduce the voltage with rpm reduction)

the imagined 'typical' EM characteristic is the characteristic of fixed field fixed voltage DC motors only ie toys
its not the typical characteristic of EMs
eg the (vacuum cleaner) induction motor has low torque at stall, then rising with rpm, then falling at high rpm

Tesla 3s have induction motors - torque and speed are controlled by independent variation of voltage and frequency
and iirc they have gears

FastFreddy

Re: acceleration of f1 car

roost89 wrote:
14 Jan 2010, 21:51
The demonstration is true, that's for sure. It's on the internet. There're quite a few of them. One was done by Ford: Ford engined F1 car, WRC car and a road car.
Ford:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP3qPahZXjY
Mercedes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4M6Pu20500
Ferrari:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnuQS2-7Ezk

The acceleration and braking sounds plausible.
I am not particularly impressed as far as pure acceleration goes.

My ancient 1997 Top Dragster would do 0 to 60 mph in a little over 1.1 seconds in 59 feet. So 0 to 100 Km/h in maybe 1.05 seconds at 60’ and 0 to 175 mph (280+ Km/h) in 7.75 seconds, and pull peak G’s of about 3.5, that on a very mild and conservative tune-up. Don’t forget that is a more than 20 year old car, which cost me maybe $20,000 to put together. I bet a full up F1 program spends that much on uniforms or more likely the Dry Cleaning of said uniforms.

Current NHRA Top Fuel cars accelerate from 0 to 100 mph in about 0.8 seconds, 0 to 335 mph or 540 Km/h in a tiny bit more than 3.6 seconds pulling about 5.6 Peak G’s, yes that is all they do, brutal and unrelenting acceleration. Well they do one other thing brutally well, they stop, pulling more peak negative g’s than they accelerate at, between 6 and 7 G’s. I have heard the story that Don Garlits detached the retinas in his eyes because he pulled so many negative G’s one time.

“Putting this all into perspective:
You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches & starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums & within 3 seconds the dragster catches & passes you.

He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it - from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH & not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race!

That's acceleration!”

http://wediditforlove.com/techtalk21.html

So now having dropped a big brown one in the F1 punch bowl I do have to say F1 cars as a whole are surly extraordinarily impressive for ALL the things they can do well. The technology in F1 is extraordinary. Acceleration is good but not overly impressive.

FastFreddy

Tommy Cookers

thankyou, Freddy

Stapp's rocket sled tests about 60 years ago showed that about 45 g is the threshold for retinal detachment

presumably there is no permanent eye etc disruption/damage at lower g
aerobatic aviation doctrine recommended staying below 6 negative g to avoid inconvenient though impermanent effects
naval jets are designed iirc for about 4.5 g catapult launches + arrested recovery (and there's airfield 'net' barrier arrest)

btw re motor sport crash safety
the above is sustained g not some millisecond impact value (as soft organs are isolated from these)

Big Tea

FastFreddy wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 04:57

FastFreddy
I could be really unkind and say make it a 200 miler with corners :twisted:

Different strokes. Impressive though
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

FastFreddy

Big Tea wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 11:36
FastFreddy wrote:

FastFreddy

To which I would then say, OK, you have to completely disassemble and rebuild the engine, fuel systems, clutch/transmission, with the engine block in chassis, every lap, and be ready for the next lap in no more than 45 minutes. :P

Big Tea

FastFreddy wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 15:31
Big Tea wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 11:36
FastFreddy wrote:

FastFreddy

To which I would then say, OK, you have to completely disassemble and rebuild the engine, fuel systems, clutch/transmission, with the engine block in chassis, every lap, and be ready for the next lap in no more than 45 minutes. :P
That is the point. only one car would have to :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.