2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10

Re: 2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

MtthsMlw wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:18
Vasconia wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:04
dans79 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 09:41

huh?
In this official statement he doesn´t mention the aero thing. I was just pointing out this.
Well the aero thing will most likely be a very small change just like in most of the previous races.

Edit:
Apparently they'll bring a new diffuser and floor.
What Vasconia meant was that in the link he sent Arrivabene was not quoted as having told that Ferrari will have trouble because Silverstone is an aero sensitive track. Insisting that Mercedes does have the upper hand in this regard.

outsid3r

LM10 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 14:01
MtthsMlw wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:18
Vasconia wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:04

In this official statement he doesn´t mention the aero thing. I was just pointing out this.
Well the aero thing will most likely be a very small change just like in most of the previous races.

Edit:
Apparently they'll bring a new diffuser and floor.
What Vasconia meant was that in the link he sent Arrivabene was not quoted as having told that Ferrari will have trouble because Silverstone is an aero sensitive track. Insisting that Mercedes does have the upper hand in this regard.
Vasconia is right there is nothing in the link, but he was in fact quoted saying that in might be difficult for ferrari this weekend. His exact words were:

"... next there is Silverstone, a race where aerodynamics are important, a race which will be difficult for us, so we must remain concentrated..."

Source (until it lasts): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGllqpfRrgY

FrukostScones

LM10 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 13:28
FrukostScones wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 12:58
Ferrari update for Silverstone? Always was a step back or in the wrong direction. Car is fine, they should not do a thing.
I think with all this aero and Turn 1 DRS RedBull will be able to fine tune their car for another VES victory despite the tyre compounds and tread thickness. Lets hope it will still be scorching hot with mad climax thunderstorms and ALO finishing on the podium.
Do you mean Ferrari shouldn't bring updates to Silverstone or for the remaining season? :)
I'd rather have no update at all than one that is not working and kept on the car because of facesaving.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

F1NAC

FrukostScones wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 15:40
LM10 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 12:58
Ferrari update for Silverstone? Always was a step back or in the wrong direction. Car is fine, they should not do a thing.
I think with all this aero and Turn 1 DRS RedBull will be able to fine tune their car for another VES victory despite the tyre compounds and tread thickness. Lets hope it will still be scorching hot with mad climax thunderstorms and ALO finishing on the podium.
Do you mean Ferrari shouldn't bring updates to Silverstone or for the remaining season? :)
I'd rather have no update at all than one that is not working and kept on the car because of facesaving.
When did Ferrari have an update that didn't work? From 2017 onwards? (maybe that suspension in Spain)

Manfer

F1NAC wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 16:59
FrukostScones wrote:
LM10 wrote:

When did Ferrari have an update that didn't work? From 2017 onwards? (maybe that suspension in Spain)
Everything that they have gotten this season has been on the car. Even the suspension. They have used the same suspension setup since Spain. Maybe they had not figured out how best to setup the car to the new tyres at Barcelona.
Last edited by Manfer on 04 Jul 2018, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

DVB

Ferrari bringing a new floor to Silverstone. Speeded up the introduction to serve an answer at Mercedes and trying not to get behind. Should improve performance in high speed corners.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

LM10

Manfer wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 18:10
F1NAC wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:

Everything that they have gotten this season has been on the car. Even the suspension. They have used the same setup since Spain. Maybe they had not figured out how best to setup the car to the new tyres at Barcelona.
The bargeboards, floor and diffuser which has been put on the car throughout the season had already been on the car in winter testing?

Vanja #66

zibby43 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 10:32
Whoa, easy there. Just asking a question lol. I mean, I was impressed that the gap in qualifying was as big as it was on a track where I expected to measure the gap in hundredths, not tenths.

And I've seen your comments in that thread. I must've missed the why as to why you don't think it's functional in a significantly beneficial way. Look forward to that post.
Jesus, do I have to use a smiley every time I write something neutral that might sound pissed off? :D And yeah, I'm pissed off because of intentional false tech reports by "expert journos"...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Manfer

LM10 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 18:46
Manfer wrote:
F1NAC wrote:

Everything that they have gotten this season has been on the car. Even the suspension. They have used the same setup since Spain. Maybe they had not figured out how best to setup the car to the new tyres at Barcelona.
The bargeboards, floor and diffuser which has been put on the car throughout the season had already been on the car in winter testing?
I believe you misunderstood me. I meant to say all the upgrades they have bought through the season has stayed on the car and has not been rejected as a "negative upgrade" or an upgrade that did not work as intended. So we can fairly assume that their correlation issues are behind them now.

LM10

Manfer wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 19:01
LM10 wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 18:46
Manfer wrote:

I believe you misunderstood me. I meant to say all the upgrades they have bought through the season has stayed on the car and has not been rejected as a "negative upgrade" or an upgrade that did not work as intended. So we can fairly assume that their correlation issues are behind them now.
Oh, alright! My bad. :)

PlatinumZealot

Schumix wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:19
Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 23:19
GrayGreat wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 18:37
. Plus Hamilton has a habit of talking bull**** whenever he's overtaken or about to be overtaken so I don't believe whatever he said on the radio.
He mentioned power issues a while before he was overtaken.
I don't remember how many times we heard Hamilton claiming in the radio that he was facing troubles (tyre degradation or loss of power) and in the same time he slamed the lap record of the race!

Whatever is the reason, any race driver can be overtaken and defeated as it was the case for Hamilton.

The understanding of some technical people now is that Mercedes brought major upgrades that really work great but in the same time these upgrades apply too much load and stress on the tyres and the whole package. This is why they are in trouble in dirty air. When they are in clean air in front of the race, they achieve to manage their tyres whatever the type is.
Their opponents know that Mercedes is on the edge for the tyre management in dirty air and they will make the most of it by pushing them. It is so simple...
Erm not really. hamilton was stymied by daniel entering the pits then Vettel got DRS and it was over right there. The pit entry is on the apex of the last turn. Even Brundle commented on it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

probenprinz

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 04:27
Schumix wrote:
04 Jul 2018, 11:19
Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jul 2018, 23:19

He mentioned power issues a while before he was overtaken.
I don't remember how many times we heard Hamilton claiming in the radio that he was facing troubles (tyre degradation or loss of power) and in the same time he slamed the lap record of the race!

Whatever is the reason, any race driver can be overtaken and defeated as it was the case for Hamilton.

The understanding of some technical people now is that Mercedes brought major upgrades that really work great but in the same time these upgrades apply too much load and stress on the tyres and the whole package. This is why they are in trouble in dirty air. When they are in clean air in front of the race, they achieve to manage their tyres whatever the type is.
Their opponents know that Mercedes is on the edge for the tyre management in dirty air and they will make the most of it by pushing them. It is so simple...
Erm not really. hamilton was stymied by daniel entering the pits then Vettel got DRS and it was over right there. The pit entry is on the apex of the last turn. Even Brundle commented on it.
Vettel have not used DRS in the overtake, there's plenty of footage showing the car with DRS closed.

NathanOlder

Why did Vettel not use DRS ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

probenprinz

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 11:19
Dunno.
Wild guess: he was out of 1s at the check point.

NathanOlder

probenprinz wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 11:21
NathanOlder wrote:
05 Jul 2018, 11:19
Dunno.
Wild guess: he was out of 1s at the check point.
If thats the case, It shows how badly Lewis was held up by the Red Bull.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC