2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
drunkf1fan

Re: 2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

seventhsin wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 16:31
Did Ricciardo get another lap in after his DRS issue? He didn't make a dent into the 4 tenths on Verstappen. Is he saving a fresh pair of boots for the race thinking it's diminishing returns burning a new set to gain a position? Did he have a set to burn?

I've seen alot of complaints lately about boring races and lack of overtaking this season, but the competition in F1 is about so much more than that. This season is shaping up sensationally with multiple manufacturers, four previous World Champions and new talents taking Pole Positions and Race Wins. It hasn't been on such a knife-edge for years!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yup, Ricciardo got a clean lap in, in terms of having DRS and he had DRS for all but one straight which they said cost 3/10ths at most. His second lap just wasn't very good and even if he'd had DRS on his first lap he wouldn't have gained or lost a position. Best case he would have pretty much been 2/10ths off Verstappen's final run. I'm guessing he made at least one mistake on the final run that cost him the time.

MtthsMlw

I hope we get one of these awesome mini sector comparisons of Hamilton's and Vettel's fastest laps.
Last edited by MtthsMlw on 07 Jul 2018, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

Sierra117

Kimi actually hit 326 for a fraction of a second (twice at least, as the rev limiter was being hit).
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Juzh

Verstappen: "we lost 1 second or more on the straights"

Horner mentioned on sky DRS is worth 3 tenths on the run from T5 to T6.

MtthsMlw

Juzh wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:24
Should start to follow the trend of building a car with less drag and more efficient aero then. Like Ferrari did this year.

Juzh

MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:28
Juzh wrote:
Should start to follow the trend of building a car with less drag and more efficient aero then. Like Ferrari did this year.
That's just bollocks with zero proof. Every single renault car is absolutely nowhere on the straights, not just red bull. You can actually see how guttless that engine is trough copse and on the run truough T1.

MtthsMlw

Juzh wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:33
MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:28
Juzh wrote:
That's just bollocks with zero proof. Every single renault car is absolutely nowhere on the straights, not just red bull. You can actually see how guttless that engine is trough copse and on the run truough T1.
Sure that wouldn't put them in front of Ferrari and Merc but a little less drag be beneficial for them. Maybe not who knows until they try it out.

atanatizante

1. How did this bumpy track affect the suspension setup in Merc/Ferrari case? Seems to me that Merc was more chattering/wobbling on the straights than Ferrari car ...

2. Regarding strategy in the race, Ricci said that it`ll be a 2 stop race so at the front we could see an S-M-S for both Lewis and Vettel and will be interesting to see how`s gonna go longer ... Had Vettel lost the start what do you guys think he`ll go for? For the undercut or staying out longer? In Montreal, he stayed out longer but here I think they have the upper hand in tyre management due to their car being easy on them and also due to the higher temps ... and last but not least for being an SC high chance early in the race or the first part ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

fabian77

GPR-A wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 16:36
MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 16:35
Zynerji wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 16:31

If that's the case, I would expect a Ferrari 1-2...
Don't know. It was reported that Ferrari had higher degradation in their FP2 long runs than Merc but who knows how they might changed the set up over night. They can definitely put a lot of pressure on Hamiltion given that he has two Ferraris behind him.
You can count Kimi to be attacked and over taken by Bottas and behind him, is Verstappen!
Not if Kimi gets another demon start like in Austria, I think the Ferraris will monster Hamilton and the start, should be a cracking race can't wait.

GPR-A duplicate2

fabian77 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:54
GPR-A wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 16:35

Don't know. It was reported that Ferrari had higher degradation in their FP2 long runs than Merc but who knows how they might changed the set up over night. They can definitely put a lot of pressure on Hamiltion given that he has two Ferraris behind him.
You can count Kimi to be attacked and over taken by Bottas and behind him, is Verstappen!
Not if Kimi gets another demon start like in Austria, I think the Ferraris will monster Hamilton and the start, should be a cracking race can't wait.
Remember, Kimi and Vettel were on US and the Mercs were on SS in Austria for the start! It was the same in France too, where Vettel got a quick start, but the Mercs boxed him. That ain't the case for tomorrow.

Zynerji

Any chance of a S-H one stop?

ripper

Not many teams tried H, but Bottas did so they might think about it

f1316

I think we should decouple ‘more powerful PU’ from ‘better deployment’ - it’s the latter which has probably made a big difference to Ferrari powered teams today (Ferrari themselves are also very good in the corners and in traction).

It’s 80% full throttle here and so your deployment is more important than ever. Bodes well for Ferrari in Spa and Monza.

atanatizante

GPR-A wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:58
fabian77 wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
Remember, Kimi and Vettel were on US and the Mercs were on SS in Austria for the start! It was the same in France too, where Vettel got a quick start, but the Mercs boxed him. That ain't the case for tomorrow.
DC said that Lewis just needs an average start from the line and implying that knowing this track has an asphalt off area he should just squeeze Vettel into turn 1 ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

GPR-A duplicate2

atanatizante wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 18:19
GPR-A wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:58
fabian77 wrote:

DC said that Lewis just needs an average start from the line and implying that knowing this track has an asphalt off area he should just squeeze Vettel into turn 1 ...
Turn 1, unlike most other circuits, is not hard breaking, as until turn 3, the car doesn't come to slow down. So, the outside line is the fastest line towards turn 1, then 2 and then from turn 2, a car need to take inside line to turn 3. Inside line to turn 1, is going to tighten up the car and slows down which is detrimental for turn 2. So, Lewis need not have to squeeze Vettel to turn 1, in fact if he tries to do that, he will give up the outside line for the car behind him to attack from outside and overtake.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 07 Jul 2018, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.