2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
F1NAC

Re: 2018 British Grand Prix, Silverstone, July 6-8

fabian77 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:54
GPR-A wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 16:36
MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 16:35

Don't know. It was reported that Ferrari had higher degradation in their FP2 long runs than Merc but who knows how they might changed the set up over night. They can definitely put a lot of pressure on Hamiltion given that he has two Ferraris behind him.
You can count Kimi to be attacked and over taken by Bottas and behind him, is Verstappen!
Not if Kimi gets another demon start like in Austria, I think the Ferraris will monster Hamilton and the start, should be a cracking race can't wait.
And even then he managed to lose couple of positions. I also think he will lost position to Bottas. Statistics are talking this kind of story. Isn't already 20something races in a row where he loses/stays on same position?

simieski

Savage from the Sky F1 show, introduce the McLaren drivers as they start playing Coldplay “I used to rule the world...” 😂
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Big Tea

The big Q now is fuel. What are they like on full fuel, how much will they tank, will either have to save?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

LM10

Any bets on how many days it will take until we read that Ferrari is being investigated? :)

saviour stivala

GPR-A wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 16:49
Vanja #66 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 16:46
I can only imagine the trouble with overheating Mercedes would have been in if Pirelli didn't bring special tyres here.
:) How is that the tyres with more tread, overheat, compared to the tyres that have a bit of a less tread which are being used in the GP currently?

The problem with the normal (older) specification is that, on newly asphalted surfaces, the tyres get heated too fast on outer layer and by the time the inner heats, the outer layer is gone. Hence these new specification tyres. It's not just Mercedes, every team would have struggled with older specification on this track. Remember Ferrari and Vettel's comments after Barcelona test, post the race which shut down this whole special tyre made for Mercedes thingy?
it was only mercedes that asked Pirelli for these tyres and no other team asked or wanted them them, because of that special safety dispensation had to be called upon to push them in use.

Bill_Kar

Ferrari was really good, probably the best car to be on tomorrow.
But forget all that. Hamilton was unbelievable, you got to give this to the man.
I remember when he was bowing to his car, the camera picked up his hand shaking. They are human after all.

Sierra117

Bill_Kar wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 19:14
Ferrari was really good, probably the best car to be on tomorrow.
But forget all that. Hamilton was unbelievable, you got to give this to the man.
I remember when he was bowing to his car, the camera picked up his hand shaking. They are human after all.
I thought I was the only one who saw that! Was a special moment. I was shaking too and I only have the winter down under! 😂
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Vanja #66

Juzh wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:33
MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:28
Juzh wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:24
Verstappen: "we lost 1 second or more on the straights"
Should start to follow the trend of building a car with less drag and more efficient aero then. Like Ferrari did this year.
That's just bollocks with zero proof. Every single renault car is absolutely nowhere on the straights, not just red bull. You can actually see how guttless that engine is trough copse and on the run truough T1.
RS18 is not a top car, McLaren has less aero than last year, so they are hardly worthy of comparison. Red Bull was losing time in corners also, not only on straights. If their set up wasn't good now (we don't know, it's not very easy to extract maximum from tyres obviously, especially from these ones), they could easily loose 3, maybe even 4 tenths. They were 1.5s off in Q last year, now it's 7 tenths. They have lots of draggy bits on their car, and they choose to loose that extra drag from rear wing, so they shouldn't complain. They were clearly fastest in Monaco (not just down to marginally smaller wheelbase) so they can strap on most downforce of Top3 teams, very likely at the expanse of more drag.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

atanatizante

Vanja #66 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 19:23
Juzh wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:33
MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 17:28

Should start to follow the trend of building a car with less drag and more efficient aero then. Like Ferrari did this year.
That's just bollocks with zero proof. Every single renault car is absolutely nowhere on the straights, not just red bull. You can actually see how guttless that engine is trough copse and on the run truough T1.
RS18 is not a top car, McLaren has less aero than last year, so they are hardly worthy of comparison. Red Bull was losing time in corners also, not only on straights. If their set up wasn't good now (we don't know, it's not very easy to extract maximum from tyres obviously, especially from these ones), they could easily loose 3, maybe even 4 tenths. They were 1.5s off in Q last year, now it's 7 tenths. They have lots of draggy bits on their car, and they choose to loose that extra drag from rear wing, so they shouldn't complain. They were clearly fastest in Monaco (not just down to marginally smaller wheelbase) so they can strap on most downforce of Top3 teams, very likely at the expanse of more drag.
... you could add that Ricci said they`ve setup their car more towards the race ...

On another note Alonso`s statement after the qualy says it all : "It's three Ferraris on track now," added the Spaniard after Sauber's Charles Leclerc qualified in ninth.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

zibby43

When is the last time Ferrari had a double DNF?

MtthsMlw

zibby43 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 20:26
Singapore 2017

Joseph Hudson

zibby43 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 20:26
Singapore last year

Mattchu

You can love him or hate him, but seriously, that car control round the last corner to grab pole was some serious skill with a car!
Brilliant driving form both Vettel and Hamilton =D> well played guys, well played...

MtthsMlw

Just_a_fan

With the tyre usage, would one expect Mercedes are thinking a one stopper? Start on the Soft and then move to the Medium for the rest of the race. Ferrari can do the same, of course, but have the nice back up of a set of new, fast, Soft tyres if the Mediums start to get a bit ropey. Mercedes would be forced to go to used Softs which will, of course, give slightly less performance and laps available. Or did Mercedes run that extra Q2 run in order to heat cycle the tyres with a view to them being better for longer if a two stopper is required?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.