2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MtthsMlw

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

I feel like Hamilton is exaggerating a bit. I've read on f1analisitecnica.com some speculation that Ferrari was not happy with the Barcelona update, they expected more from it (diffuser performance). Now the recent update was there to fix the Barcelona update and on top of that to unlock even more performance. So you could count the Silverstone update as two updates.
I don't know. This could make sense but it's maybe a bit too simple to put it like that.

Zynerji

Fluttering seemed an issue, for sure, but it more likely is simply an evolution of air control + stiffness that is helping. I can only imagine how much the grip would change when your largest DF contributor varies by speed and oscillations of the chassis...

Maybe this is just more consistent, and the largest chunk of time comes from driver confidence...

MtthsMlw

CriXus wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:30
What about the sidepods or do you think they are well developed and ahead of Merc and RB? I do not think Ferrari have changed them since the start.
Yes they're still launch-spec.
I guess they have the smallest frontal area of them all maybe they'll do something with the elements marked by the green arrows and rectangle to further improve airflow to the rear.

Zynerji

I'm surprised the Sauber solution from a few years ago isn't integrated into this "new" philosophy, but maybe it is?

Maybe part of the Alfa Romeo "sponsorship" was simply buying all of the historic Sauber aero data for Ferrari to pore over?

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:42
Fluttering seemed an issue, for sure, but it more likely is simply an evolution of air control + stiffness that is helping. I can only imagine how much the grip would change when your largest DF contributor varies by speed and oscillations of the chassis...

Maybe this is just more consistent, and the largest chunk of time comes from driver confidence...
I suspect this is tyre wall related.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Vanja #66

CriXus wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:30
What about the sidepods or do you think they are well developed and ahead of Merc and RB? I do not think Ferrari have changed them since the start.
They don't have to be ahead of RB or Merc, they need to work good with other updates. Last year, sidepod intakes weren't changed during the season, so I don't expect them to do it now. Deflectors were changed a bit, but only slightly. Ferrari deflectors are less draggy than others, so if they do their work as they are now, I don't see a reason to change them.

Sevach wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 18:38
Ferrari introduced the previous floor with full length slots in Barcelona and it didn't bring a great performance jump, for this one (which is an evolution of that concept) to be this good (car looked fantastic from the first lap on friday) there might have been some problems with that version.

Maybe some fluttering with the long slots.
It's politically exaggerated that these are worth 0.3s. It was hotter in Silverstone than predicted, this made it easier for Ferrari to bring heat into these special tyres, so they could have shown more potential than anyone expected. In Austria, Mercedes wasn't impressive in the race, and in qualy they were glorious compared to Ferrari. In truth, they nailed qualy, Ferrari botched it, so it wasn't a show case of true pace.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PhillipM

From all the hints dropped and anger Kimi was showing this weekend it sounds like he's been told he won't be driving again next year, anyone heard anything?

Zynerji

PhillipM wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 01:30
From all the hints dropped and anger Kimi was showing this weekend it sounds like he's been told he won't be driving again next year, anyone heard anything?
He has 6 podiums in 10 races, 3rd in points, no bs, no drama, plays the team game and is good friends with Vettel, and helping to keep Ferrari on top of the constructors championship...

I'm not sure he isn't going to get another 1 year deal. I mean, unless you want to push Seb out, you really couldn't ask for a better driver to have.

LeC might be the future, but another season at Alfa Sauber wouldn't be bad for him.

I think Kimi will be in Red for 2019.

PhillipM

He was just as good when they let him go last time. Kimi seemed seriously angry all weekend, and that's not like him.

Big Tea

PhillipM wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:54
He was just as good when they let him go last time. Kimi seemed seriously angry all weekend, and that's not like him.
Perhaps the thought of driving an Alfa does not appeal to him
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Schuttelberg

I'm absolutely loving the fight Ferrari are putting up! Can they keep developing and sustain the challenge from Mercedes?

For the first half, I have to say- Forza Ferrari!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Brenton

Kimi directly alluded to being criticized in his post-race interview, yes? That surprised me. Either he's been warned that his seat is in danger, or he now thinks it is due to the talk about being replaced, or he's been told that he has lost his seat. My guess is that he still has a chance to prove his seat for next year, and feels like it is in great danger and is under big pressure from himself and others to step up his performance.

He seems to be trying harder now, especially on lap 1 , normally he just loses positions or holds position at best, but lately he's been taking much more risk to gain position on lap 1. I don't think he would have pushed so hard and took the risk of missing the corner yesterday (hitting Hamilton) under past circumstances. Maybe he's not literally trying harder, but he feels he needs a better result, so he's taking more risk to get that better result that he normally wouldn't take?

His fire is making the title fight more interesting. I can't believe Ferrari are leading the WCC right now! The tension and drama this year has been and will be great to watch.

Mr.G

Brenton wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 21:12
Kimi directly alluded to being criticized in his post-race interview, yes? That surprised me. Either he's been warned that his seat is in danger, or he now thinks it is due to the talk about being replaced, or he's been told that he has lost his seat. My guess is that he still has a chance to prove his seat for next year, and feels like it is in great danger and is under big pressure from himself and others to step up his performance.

He seems to be trying harder now, especially on lap 1 , normally he just loses positions or holds position at best, but lately he's been taking much more risk to gain position on lap 1. I don't think he would have pushed so hard and took the risk of missing the corner yesterday (hitting Hamilton) under past circumstances. Maybe he's not literally trying harder, but he feels he needs a better result, so he's taking more risk to get that better result that he normally wouldn't take?

His fire is making the title fight more interesting. I can't believe Ferrari are leading the WCC right now! The tension and drama this year has been and will be great to watch.
Or he feels he has car to get results so he is going for it...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

dfegan358

Why would we take a 4th engine later in the year if not necessary?

Is that what Ferrari and Mercedes are both expected to do?
Are we looking at Monza for C spec engine?

Heard rumours of bigger engine performance gain this time spec compared to spec B. May not be True though.

Sevach

dfegan358 wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 00:35
Why would we take a 4th engine later in the year if not necessary?

Is that what Ferrari and Mercedes are both expected to do?
Are we looking at Monza for C spec engine?

Heard rumours of bigger engine performance gain this time spec compared to spec B. May not be True though.
Ferrari is pushing through with Raikkonen on the Barcelona engine which (to me at least) means they want to avoid penalties if at all possible. Even with Kimi that isn't in the drivers championship.

Meanwhile, Bottas is on the 3rd engine already.

Rumours were that Ferrari was conservative with their Canada upgrade, so the next one might be bigger when they figure out the kinks.