Why overtaking is dead, and might never come back

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
roon

Re: Why overtaking is dead, and might never come back

mani517 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 02:45
It is one of the main things that F1 has to change to become fair. Make teams play for the rules of an independent governing body...
Indycar and NASCAR already exist, though.

mani517 wrote:
...consulting/collecting opinions is OK, but, teams can't get to write the rules.
But that's where the smart people are.

strad

All these incidents resulting from snap oversteer prove Mear's point. There is too much dependence on aero down force and the second they get even a little sideways they lose downforce and there is no chance for the driver to recover. They need to lose downforce dependence and rely more on mechanical grip.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mani517

roon wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 04:25
mani517 wrote:
It is one of the main things that F1 has to change to become fair. Make teams play for the rules of an independent governing body...
Indycar and NASCAR already exist, though.

mani517 wrote:
...consulting/collecting opinions is OK, but, teams can't get to write the rules.
But that's where the smart people are.
By the reference to Indycar and NASCAR, do you acknowledge that they are fairer sport than F1? And, why would you assume "playing to the rules of independent governing body" should mean a spec series?

...and teams do have smart people, but, let their smartness be used to make the car and not to write rules that favour them.

BTW, I assume, you like the technical side of the sport... it would be nicer if you could bring some meaningful argument to the table instead of just taking a jab.

roon

Well, Silverstone 2018 just happened.

strad

A number of the incidents proved what Mears said correct. And the pros from Dover even mentioned that I was right all along about the fin and crosswinds. =D>
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

mani517

roon wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 00:30
Well, Silverstone 2018 just happened.
Still not a meaningful argument... instead of just coming back and trying to imply that the argument is flawed (or others are wrong) whenever a good race happens, why not make this a constructive argument and participate in the discussion?

If I really have to explain, Silverstone falls under the category of random/rare good show. In other words, Silverstone doesn't quality as a normal sample for this argument.

Silverstone, in fact, highlights some of the points mentioned in this thread

1. Lewis' storming come back drive highlights the performance difference between a top-tier team and the rest of the field
2. We saw most of the overtaking, because, Lewis and Raikkonen fell out of position (don't mistake me, it would still have been a good race without that, but, that doesn't change the fact most of the racing was just a consequence of super-fast cars falling out of position to the back of the grid)
3. Also, as mentioned in one my earlier posts, take DRS out of the equation and many of the spectacular overtakes may not have happened (event that mighty last min move from Vettel was DRS influenced)

Zynerji

Overtaking attempts are just as exciting as a completed overtake.

Some great races are defensive. (Ver/Rai Spain 16, Alo/Schu Imola 05).

Manoah2u

and yet another race.

anybody who has watched silverstone and thinks overtaking is dead needs to go to the doctor and ask for a legally blind note.
corner after corner, the entire field taking turns on eachother. fantastic race!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

strad

I suggest we discount DRS over takes from that equation.
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

strad wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 21:56
I suggest we discount DRS over takes from that equation.
Why? Once you start that way, then pit lane overtake should be dropped as well as they require even less skill...

The only ones that should not count is a driver retirement, as gaining a place because the car that's 60s ahead of you on track has to pull over will inflate the numbers, as a P1 mechanical failure would count as 19 overtakes on that lap...

strad

Why? Once you start that way, then pit lane overtake should be dropped as well as they require even less skill...
Ok...I'm good with that.
Sir Stirling Moss

Juzh

Powerslide wrote:
06 Jul 2018, 20:42
track design may help as we have seen..slower corners that arent too dependent on downforce followed up by a long straight.
This is not a good idea. We've got a bunch of tracks with slow corners leading onto very long straights with little impact. Canada hairpin, Russia final turn, entire red bull ring, barcelona final turn..

pantherxxx

I think I know a solution for more exciting F1. Every team should run with 3 cars. It would mean more cars with the same speed. Imagine a fight between 3 Red Bulls, 3 Mercs, and 3 Ferraris.

z.topoln

Imagine then a season with one team dominant. Podiums would get boring real fast...

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

roon

Easy. Just add a fourth spot. But why stop there? Make a twenty-step podium. Champagne suppliers would support this measure. And everyone gets a trophy (although diminishing size means a key-chain sized trophy for P20).