Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
McHonda

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Phil wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 01:32
McHonda wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 22:58
Phil wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 16:56
I’ll be extremely surprised if Renault would want him.
Why? Who's better that they could realistically get?

I think they've said they'd be interested if they can give him the car to win but not interested if they can't so I guess it comes down to what their goals are.
If they really wanted him, they would have taken him the year before when, as you said, they publicly said “thanks, but no thanks”.

Alonso has been “available” since 2017 and during that time, both Ferrari seats were available upon Kimi’s and Vettel’s renewal, a seat at Mercedes on two occasions when Rosberg unexpectetly quit and on Bottas renewal. Even Hamilton’s renewal was open. Renault had an opening too, when they wanted Sainz. Did Alonso get any of those seats? No, because in all reality, no one wanted him enough to care.

He may be the best or the most gifted driver on the market, but he is no treath to anyone. And he is old. Too old, to sign for a team that is looking at a long term goal. Renault realistically will not be fighting for a WDC next year. They are continually bettering themselves, building up a winning team. That takes time, experience, continuity. Why in gods name would they sign a driver who is just in the game to win a WDC for himself and probably off and out of F1 soon? They are already pretty much best of the rest with two fine drivers.

If anything, my take is that they’d sooner take Ricciardo, if he wanted that seat. If Ricciardo stays at Redbull, then perhaps the big question is if they can retain Sainz who is only on loan to Renault. It could well be, that RB want Sainz back to replace Hartley at TR, but i am not sure Sainz would want that. The question is, if Sainz can be bought out. Assuming he is too expensive, why and how would they afford Alonso, a likely even more expensive driver?

The only place i can see Alonso going is out of F1. He has become a journey man. He left McLaren and the potential to win the 2008 championship. He then went to Ferrari where he left again in 2014, again, perhaps missing the longterm game and a potential winning car. If he moves back to Renault, what is there to gain? He wont win a championship there either. Renault, i am sure, knows this too. Better to invest in good, hungry younger drivers that are part of their longterm goal. Signing am Alonso just bears the risk that he’ll leave anyway if the team isnt competitive enough or that he’ll move on if suddenly a better team comes along (assuming they’d want him).
Yeah they said they'd want him if they could give him the car so I don't see why that wouldn't still stand but next year might be too early for them sure, so he may well not get an offer but if they felt they could give a competitive car I see no reason or have heard no reason why Renault would change their mind and not want him.

Ferrari and Mercedes situation is different, they haven't shown any interest in upgrading on Kimi and Bottas, he can't force them to put two top drivers in the same team, Dan didn't get a look in either.

Not sure you can seriously blame no long term thinking for leaving Ferrari. I can't think of one single top driver who should or would wait 8 or 9 years for the quickest car, that's just more Alonso being held to an impossible standard the others wouldn't be. One season of failure was enough for some others to look elsewhere.

Redragon

It was impossible that Alonso would have came back to Mclaren, no body believe it at the time because of so many enemies he left behind, specially Ron Dennis and still he signed back and started a new relationship with Dennis despite their past. So I don't know why people still saying that he is unwelcome in others teams where he never been before. Mercedes still haven't announced Hamilton and renewed Bottas, Ferrari too and Renault is a big possibility as they have been showing some interest recently. So there still many variables and as stated above he can adapt to any car and driving style. So why to loose the opportunity of having him on your team where you know points will be gurantee at least if you give him a decent car that kepp your pride ? the market still wide open this year.

FrukostScones

Why was HUL in such a bad mood the weekend?
ALO negotiations already taking place?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ME4ME

FrukostScones wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 10:23
Why was HUL in such a bad mood the weekend?
ALO negotiations already taking place?
Was he? Haven't seen any coverage whatsoever of him so Idk.
Regardless of Alonso or any other driver wanting to join the team, I think Hulk thoroughly deserves to hold on to his seat. I think he has shown by now that he can handle Sainz.

alexx_88

This won't play out for 2019, but I was quite surprised to see Hamilton's reaction to Jenson's mention of his "17 seasons in F1". He seemed very dismissive of the idea he could/want to do another 5 seasons. Sounded like the next contract he signs will be his last.

It's painful to see Danny Ric's performance against Max coupled with the lack of seats available in any of the other strong teams.

Redragon

Alonso team have been negotiating with Renault since Lemans but also there were rumours that he has offered himself to Mercedes reducing his salary considerable which makes you think why Hamilton sign haven't been announced yet.

hemichromis

Redragon wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:44
Alonso team have been negotiating with Renault since Lemans but also there were rumours that he has offered himself to Mercedes reducing his salary considerable which makes you think why Hamilton sign haven't been announced yet.
It would make some sense if Hamilton just jumped ship this year. Mercedes would need a proven race winner who could fight immediately. Alonso would then be the best man for the job.

In a way Mercedes don't have to offer Hamilton crazy money as Ricciardo and Alonso are both available.

Silly season could yet get interesting........

It probably won't.

Manoah2u

hemichromis wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:55
Redragon wrote:
It would make some sense if Hamilton just jumped ship this year. Mercedes would need a proven race winner who could fight immediately. Alonso would then be the best man for the job.

In a way Mercedes don't have to offer Hamilton crazy money as Ricciardo and Alonso are both available.

It probably won't.
Merc is preparing Hamilton's retirement of F1 (or with Merc) at the end of the year and does a Rosberg.
5th title and he's off.

big question is though, is he off to do his non-f1 things, or will he be off to Ferrari?

Ferrari is clearly the team to beat now, and that only bodes more for next season. It's a perfect moment to go to Ferrari right now. Next year for all it's worth we might see Ferrari vs RedBull (Honda) and Mercedes being the 3rd team. I'm actually very doubtfull Hamilton is looking forward to that, or let's say 'whether he accepts that position'.

Alonso > Mercedes or RedBull
Hamilton > Ferrari or retirement
Ricciardo > Ferrari, Mercedes or RedBull

1 thing is 100% guaranteed though, i tell you now.

Grosjean is 100% retired from f1 in 2019.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

SteveRacer

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 17:48

I saw somewhere that Haas were going to resign him to repay him for sticking with the team the first 2 years when their performance was uncertain.

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 17:48
hemichromis wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:55
Redragon wrote:

It probably won't.
Merc is preparing Hamilton's retirement of F1 (or with Merc) at the end of the year and does a Rosberg.
5th title and he's off.

big question is though, is he off to do his non-f1 things, or will he be off to Ferrari?

Ferrari is clearly the team to beat now, and that only bodes more for next season. It's a perfect moment to go to Ferrari right now. Next year for all it's worth we might see Ferrari vs RedBull (Honda) and Mercedes being the 3rd team. I'm actually very doubtfull Hamilton is looking forward to that, or let's say 'whether he accepts that position'.

Alonso > Mercedes or RedBull
Hamilton > Ferrari or retirement
Ricciardo > Ferrari, Mercedes or RedBull

I don't think Hamilton is off, but if he was, I would not be totally surprised if he went to Red Bull.
He remembers racing Seb in the Red bulls.
A swap with Ric would be,,,Interesting!
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

Hamilton - 3 more years at Mercedes at £40m a year with a 2 year possible extension at £60m a year. I doubt he'll do more than the 3 years, especially if Mercedes are anything less than good title-winning prospects.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Hamilton wants to be a Fangio of Mercedes so he will continue to build his legacy.

Alonso will leave McLaren this year. It is definitely happening. He can go to Haas. I bet no one thought about that.
Imagine what he can do there.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

NathanOlder

So what is going on with the Merc contracts. Why no announcements? Lauda said they are both definitely staying, so why not just get it done
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Zynerji

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 09:26
So what is going on with the Merc contracts. Why no announcements? Lauda said they are both definitely staying, so why not just get it done
$$$

noname

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 19:29
Hamilton - 3 more years at Mercedes at £40m a year with a 2 year possible extension at £60m a year. I doubt he'll do more than the 3 years, especially if Mercedes are anything less than good title-winning prospects.
Is Merc committed to F1 post-2020? End of last year Totto and Nicki signed contracts expiring end of 2020.
No matter what will happened during this time, Merc already dominated V6 hybrid era.