2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
munudeges

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Paddy Lowe is currently being exposed for what he really is at Williams right now. In the past he was able to hide behind others. Maybe he started believing his own hype?

RonDennis

munudeges wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 13:31
Paddy Lowe is currently being exposed for what he really is at Williams right now. In the past he was able to hide behind others. Maybe he started believing his own hype?
The Dutch television talked to him last weekend and he said that they were too ambitious. Williams tried to do too much in a short time. After one bad year isn't it a bit harsh to say that he's being exposed. Fixing big problems like Williams are having takes time and probably a full redesign.

DFX
DFX

JohnDelinger wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 12:04
Zynerji wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 07:34
zoroastar wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 06:30

it amazes me when some people cant have enough depth to realize that the reasons behind him not being picked up by a top team have nothing to do with how "good" he is. nobody in any top team would ever say that alonso is not good enough. if thats what you are standing on to prove something then you should be careful of thin ice.
Why am I on thin ice? His choices and behaviors have cost his talent numerous titles, not me.

No one but back markers want him. Period.
i believe you are terribly misinformed, his talent has put him in the hunt for numerous titles
I think you are wasting your time in this argument. This is like trying to debate a 'flat-earther', they have all the science available to them but their position was already set beforehand. Your facts dont have weight against closed minds.

munudeges

RonDennis wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 14:09
The Dutch television talked to him last weekend and he said that they were too ambitious. Williams tried to do too much in a short time. After one bad year isn't it a bit harsh to say that he's being exposed. Fixing big problems like Williams are having takes time and probably a full redesign.
It's bullshit. That's his responsibility. Regardless, an ambitious car should never result in an aerodynamic problem so bad they are hanging off the back of the grid and risk irreversibly falling behind if it continues.

You can't get around this with bullshit platitudes to the media. Williams is staring its end in the face.

Zynerji

JohnDelinger wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
zoroastar wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 06:30

it amazes me when some people cant have enough depth to realize that the reasons behind him not being picked up by a top team have nothing to do with how "good" he is. nobody in any top team would ever say that alonso is not good enough. if thats what you are standing on to prove something then you should be careful of thin ice.
Why am I on thin ice? His choices and behaviors have cost his talent numerous titles, not me.

i believe you are terribly misinformed, his talent has put him in the hunt for numerous titles
Sure. But it has only earned him 2.... 12 and 13 years ago....

Miha_v

It has been said multiple times by people that know a lot about f1: Alonso is regarded as one of the most complete drivers of his Era. You may not like him, but that doesn't change much. Championships are far from being the only factor when scoring drivers, Gilles Villeneuve is regarded one of the best of all times, yet he never even won a championship. Fernando would have 2 more championships with a bit more luck, the way he battled in mediocre Ferrari back then was outstanding. And even now in midfield Mclaren, he pulls absolute maximum out of that race car on every track.

Sad state of f1 is, there is only a few of top seats and they are mostly taken. Returning back to Ferrari is not an option, Mercedes wants to retain status quo, Red Bull already has a great duo.

RonDennis

munudeges wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 14:25
RonDennis wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 14:09
It's bullshit. That's his responsibility. Regardless, an ambitious car should never result in an aerodynamic problem so bad they are hanging off the back of the grid and risk irreversibly falling behind if it continues.

You can't get around this with bullshit platitudes to the media. Williams is staring its end in the face.
He didn't say it wasn't his responsibility. Even the best people in the sport has made their mistakes, remember the McLaren that never run. Did that expose Newey? Acting like Paddy Lowe doesn't know what he's doing goes a bit far doesn't it.

GoranF1

Alonso in talks whit Renault. Is Hulkenberg out of contract this year?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Ground Effect

Sorry guys, don't know if this was shared already, highlights of Fernando's radio messages over the Silverstone weekend. It's nice to listen to the interactions, and get a proper context. Apologies again if this has been posted already.

https://youtu.be/e7y-10paPcI
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Dextercitox

Ground Effect wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 18:11
Sorry guys, don't know if this was shared already, highlights of Fernando's radio messages over the Silverstone weekend. It's nice to listen to the interactions, and get a proper context. Apologies again if this has been posted already.

https://youtu.be/e7y-10paPcI
Interesting, car feels really quick at the end without MAG in front of him, in the practice ALO said they lost so much in the straights. Ferrari and Merdeces seems to have made 3 steps and Renault only one, they have lost distance with them again and right now seems that Honda is at the same level than Renault. Has been embarassing for all the Renault powered cars all weekend.

McG

DFX wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 14:16
JohnDelinger wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

I think you are wasting your time in this argument. This is like trying to debate a 'flat-earther', they have all the science available to them but their position was already set beforehand. Your facts dont have weight against closed minds.
=D>

Your post also applies to those who have faith in any given team or cough cough engine manufacturer.

People can't seem to separate hope and fact from blind faith and delusion. Sad really on a technical forum.
F1 is dead.

diffuser

McG wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 22:04
DFX wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 14:16
JohnDelinger wrote:

=D>

Your post also applies to those who have faith in any given team or cough cough engine manufacturer.

People can't seem to separate hope and fact from blind faith and delusion. Sad really on a technical forum.
Typically a fan's quality is measured by how likely he/she will continue to root to matter how unlikely they are to win.

Zynerji

I simply form my opinions of an athlete by their sportsmanship as well as their performances.

M840TR

Alonso's first lap in Silverstone. He overtook Ericsson and Gasly on track after Perez hit him and he ran wide in T1. Car's quite fast in high speed corners.

https://gfycat.com/OddballTastyIrishwolfhound

munudeges

RonDennis wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 16:37
He didn't say it wasn't his responsibility. Even the best people in the sport has made their mistakes, remember the McLaren that never run. Did that expose Newey? Acting like Paddy Lowe doesn't know what he's doing goes a bit far doesn't it.
Well, it is his responsibility, and this is not just a 'mistake'. This is a fundamental car problem that no TD should ever have allowed to happen.

You, like many, seem to be blissfully unaware of the situation this has put Williams in and how serious this is. They are off the back of the grid and if this continues at any length of time they are out of F1.