2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
techman

Re: 2018 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

i have only rarely seen a rookie driver doing better than an experience driver. rookies take time, i am sure gasly will be even better next year. what TR lacked a good experience driver. one example gasly was ahead of perez in silverstone but lost the place after the safety car pit in. he did not warm his tyres up properly and perez took the opportunity. simple things like that can loose points. and neither are his starts which are also bad. hope he improves fast because the other driver is even worse

loner

Big Tea wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 16:11
Not just an experienced driver, not a driver close to Gasly, or even a driver consistently half a second behind Gasley.
A reliable second driver lets you know when the primary driver is not on top form. As it is now in STR, there is no form book for Hartley, so no set point for Gasly.
It could just be him having a bad day as far as we know, there is no measure.
this angle i didn't consider before .. what if GAS is nothing but average after all :lol:
if there is a top notch driver in STR now beside GAS would it be ALO vs SVD esque ?!!
para bellum.

ME4ME

The teams inconsistency should come as no surprise. They have performed that way for years now. Operationally and strategically Toro Rosso is not very strong. Neither is their in-season development; they always seem to suffer with correlation issues. What is a strenght is the teams creativity and ability to keep bringing interesting solutions which evidently have merit since other teams tend to copy them down the road. Drivers have nearly always been a major weakness as well, it's the downside of being the junior drivers' playground. The late engine supplier switch, remaining power deficit and unreliability is also hurting the team.

What can be adressed for next year is mainly stability, better PU integration, supply of state-of-art components by Red Bull Technology and hopefully a return of Sainz so that the driver line-up stabilizes and Gasly can be properly judged.

Snorked

According to this google translate Toro Rosso told Gasly to watch his lip in the future criticising Honda?
A staff member at Toro Rosso advised Guthrie that "It would be a misunderstanding to speak like that and it would be better to think a way of saying," Guthrie himself said that "next time do." Although the corner is pleasant, the straight lags behind and the time loses because it is wearing a down force to earn in the corner.
https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... /index.php
mysterious is the fact that Guthrie, who had praised that much when the Spec Power 2 Power Unit was introduced at Canada Grand Prix seventh race, suddenly turned Honda criticism.

Inquiring into the fact that the evaluation of spec 2 for the Canadian GP and the British GP changed by 180 degrees, Guthrie replied.

"It is true that it looked like a good feeling in Canada, but the gap with the rival has also been opened from Paul Ricard (Round 8, French Grand Prix) .How to bring out the full performance of Spec 2 I think we should go ahead and understand a bit more, depending on the condition, it will be different depending on the condition, sometimes you can not keep running at full performance, while Sauber, Haas and Force India are in the process of performance on the engine side We increased the gap, so the gap has expanded. "

zoroastar

all of the sudden the wolves set their sights on gasly.. hilarious

nzjrs

zoroastar wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 17:57
pretty soon techman will be calling for him to be fired!

McMika98

Gasly has done well so far but he is getting ahead of himself and isnt remotely qualified as was Alonso to make such statements. Alonso was in his rights to have those tantrums after three years.
Of course Franz will turn his ears to check his ego, the dude is a rookie and is being outdine by Leclrec who is up against a guy who has been in F1 for years.

makecry

zoroastar wrote:
I mean c'mon, why are people allowed to call Alonso "toxic" after enduring 3 years of bullshit for saying the same thing Gasly said even before half a season is over? The same people who are defending Gasly right now were out for Alonso. The hypocrisy is real. Why should Gasly not be criticised for doing same thing Alonso did?

McMika98

Same article mentions
spec 3.0 after summer which is what Wazari eluded to. Also in Honda forum there is an article about Honda adding upgraded components on Hartley already to test various options, hope he gets a good showing in Germany.

etusch

zoroastar wrote:
Ok. we must remember how Gasly replied in Bahrain by saying "now we can fight" . I think he will be good one. But he must know that producing this engines is not that easy. Adding additional power is not easy too. Think that he is defeated two or 3 race in some day to his team says mate and team we gave him very good car but he is so bad driver. He is a rookie but again finding a talent like him is not easy. But if someone in the team talk about him as if he can find a driver faster than him in any street of any city right away, I think he won't like it.
I don't think he has bad intention when he said what he said. We will see in future. But if he say bad things about something or someone he must be ready to hear some bad words
Last edited by etusch on 13 Jul 2018, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

No such thing as bad publicity guys. People hear you name often enough they remember it, maybe not the reason
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

techman

both renault and honda are not in mer or ferrari level, it is pretty clear. it its clear tha redbull choose honda because of the resources and development rate. i just cant wait for 2019 when their is finally a real benchmark for toror rosso to follow. never been a fan of rookies. gasly will improve. but they miss an experience driver. one case is when gasly lost a position to perez after safety care restart because he failed to properly warm his tyres. whos fault is that gasly? anyway gasly you will gain experience and will be better next time.

zoroastar

makecry wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 19:18
zoroastar wrote:
I mean c'mon, why are people allowed to call Alonso "toxic" after enduring 3 years of bullshit for saying the same thing Gasly said even before half a season is over? The same people who are defending Gasly right now were out for Alonso. The hypocrisy is real. Why should Gasly not be criticised for doing same thing Alonso did?
i agree. just pointing out how quickly some fans are to attack anyone that speaks badly about their brand. ive owned many hondas, including an NSXr, and cbr1000 and love their cars and bikes, but im not fanboy sensless. and they are not without blame. i wish more drivers spoke their mind without being ridiculed as being "toxic". its called having a mind of your own, and not scared to tell people like it is. im sure this isnt the first time this year that gasly had to bite his tongue while being passed on the straights.

hasika

https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... /index.php

I saw someone posted part of the article.
Just add some more informations from the article.Anyway,this is just an article.

·One honda engineer said 0.9s was an exaggerative expression,not that big.He felt the honda engine was still way behind Mercedes and Ferrari,but almost on par with Renault.

·Komatsu Reio,the cheif engineer of hass,said sauber have a better car than Toro Rosso,they are fast in both Corner and straight,and can let the tyre work properly in the hot condition,not just because the engine performance.