General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TakataDomeNSX

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Gasly strikes again

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gasl ... e-1059660/

Quickly losing my liking for him.

carisi2k

Not when there is a total cap of 4MJ recoverable it wouldn't. The electric is where most of the power is being lost for Renault and Honda. Look at Austria vs Great Britain as an example. The red bulls were very close to Mercedes and Ferrari at Austria because there are more braking zones on the circuit. Silverstone doesn't have as many braking opportunities and is a longer circuit and a larger gap appeared.

There maybe some performance in the ICE but I am thinking that the energy recovery is the big difference with Mercedes and Ferrari both able to recover most of the 4MJ per lap with the H. This is not to say that the Renault's ers-k is good or reliable just that it looks like on circuits where they can't recover the 2MJ through the K that both Renault and Honda struggle at the moment.

Chicane

"The chassis is good but with the engine we have we lose too much time"

This is the third or fourth article in the last few weeks where Gasly talks about huge engine deficit. Mclaren waited for third year before venting but fireworks seem to have started already with Toro Rosso.

Honda have improved both in terms of reliability and performance but the road ahead isn't going to be rosy especially in light of a moving target and a huge gap.
Quickshifter

PhillipM

Wait until Red Bull get them, All the Honda lovers crying at Mclaren haven't seen anything if theose Honda's aren't competitive next year, Red Bull wil drag them through the mud.

PlatinumZealot

Hire a Mercedes engine guy should be the next step. A guy who is intimately close with the different engine system details.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 15:47
Hire a Mercedes engine guy should be the next step. A guy who is intimately close with the different engine system details.
That person is probably the most protected in the team... Long term contact with tons of non compete clauses.

I'm getting to the point that the 2021 engines should just stay as they are, but all engine designs and data should be shared at the end of 2019.

Then it's down to who can put together the best PU package from all of the combined R&D.

But many ppl hate that idea, so whatever.

GhostF1

Gasly just sounds like he is protecting his future career now and ensuring that it's publicly believed his results are of direct blame to Honda, a scapegoat which is easy to target, as opposed to his driving.

Big Tea

GhostF1 wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 17:01
Gasly just sounds like he is protecting his future career now and ensuring that it's publicly believed his results are of direct blame to Honda, a scapegoat which is easy to target, as opposed to his driving.
I also wonder how many 'interviews' these snippets are taken from. Was it just the one and a different quote coming out each time?

IT also depends on what STR want out of the year. There is money in points, but Red Bull would have to put money in to claim it. If it is just being used as a work in progress this year and a full on go-for-glory next year, it does not make sense to concentrate on getting points before getting the equipment right.

But other than that, I do not like to hear a driver whine.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

etusch

TakataDomeNSX wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 13:54
Gasly strikes again

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gasl ... e-1059660/

Quickly losing my liking for him.
I don't know what is route of his words but it is obvious that leclerc is a great driver maybe best in the grid including experienced drivers. I am not sure if another one can make this car Q3 contender. When we look gap with Ericson it is not just Ferrari engine or Sauber car. I am sure Gasly also know that.

etusch

carisi2k wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 14:00
Not when there is a total cap of 4MJ recoverable it wouldn't. The electric is where most of the power is being lost for Renault and Honda. Look at Austria vs Great Britain as an example. The red bulls were very close to Mercedes and Ferrari at Austria because there are more braking zones on the circuit. Silverstone doesn't have as many braking opportunities and is a longer circuit and a larger gap appeared.

There maybe some performance in the ICE but I am thinking that the energy recovery is the big difference with Mercedes and Ferrari both able to recover most of the 4MJ per lap with the H. This is not to say that the Renault's ers-k is good or reliable just that it looks like on circuits where they can't recover the 2MJ through the K that both Renault and Honda struggle at the moment.
Short straights help weaker engines. They must be regenerating during engine braking too. If they can use 4 mf per lap and they use all of them it maybe because of ice weakness. Redbulls are not 1 sec behind front runners and if they are gaining 0.3 sec on turns with lesser df Redbull car is far better then two top teams.

godlameroso

Gasly is young, he'll say young things from time to time. He delivers on track, and the Honda engine will keep developing through the year, I'm eager to see the next step, and I'm sure they still haven't managed to get the most from the current version.
Saishū kōnā

techman

"The chassis is good but with the engine we have we lose too much time"

This is the third or fourth article in the last few weeks where Gasly talks about huge engine deficit. Mclaren waited for third year before venting but fireworks seem to have started already with Toro Rosso.

Honda have improved both in terms of reliability and performance but the road ahead isn't going to be rosy especially in light of a moving target and a huge gap.
honda is a match to renault , TR has a history of starting well and falling back, together with rookie drivers i doesnt helps them. wait till next season , when honda have a benchmark chassis and experience drivers. look at mclaren , and vandorne. he is not in his rookie season and still struggles, with their overated chassis design by incompetent mclaren engineers. only driver is giving them all the points

TakataDomeNSX

godlameroso wrote:
14 Jul 2018, 19:34
Gasly is young, he'll say young things from time to time. He delivers on track, and the Honda engine will keep developing through the year, I'm eager to see the next step, and I'm sure they still haven't managed to get the most from the current version.
Fair enough, but as someone else has alluded to, we don't know if Gasly is really a super talent until he's paired with someone with a reputation. Based on his GP2 and Super Formula results we know he is very solid at the least and should be getting most of the performance from the car. Without a proper benchmark however we don't know if that's consistent, and if thats 100%, 99% or just 90%

carisi2k

I think the main issue is that over a lap like Austria the Honda and Renault can generate 2MJ of ERS-k and 2MJ of ERS-H. Both Mercedes and Ferrari however can generate closer to or the full 4MJ amount in ers-h so that on circuits like Silverstone where the 2MJ of K can't be generated they still have access to the full 4MJ of energy recovery in addition to being able to spin up the turbine.

carisi2k

I think the ICE in either the Honda or Renault while still behind Ferrari and Mercedes isn't as far behind as their energy recovery capabilities.