2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

Re: 2018 German Grand Prix - Hockenheimring, July 20-22

Lewis: "Gears won't change"

"Zero throttle, zero throttle"
"So stop stop, stop stop"
"Stop stop, stop stop"
Lewis: "Guys, I need to make it back"

"Negative"

Lewis: "It's trundling"

"No. Stop stop, stop stop"

"Loss of hydraulic" "Stop stop, stop stop"

Lewis: "..."

"Lewis need to stop stop, stop stop"
"PU risk, this is a PU risk"
Lewis: "It won't go into neutral"

"So just switch it off, just switch it off electrically"

"Just brake to a halt, brake to a halt, brake to a halt"

"You should anti-stall and then switch it off"

falonso81

ismail1991 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:34
At the previous races, Ferrari engine was a little better than Mercedes, but all of a sudden their engine has an apparent edge. As far as I know, Ferrari didn't bring any upgrades to their engine last two races. How can this be explained? In addition, would it be logical for mercedes to put a new engine for hamilton for the race tomorrow and take a penalty and start last?
Ferrari have taken new components for this race. Maybe they help them being faster.

FLuidd
FLuidd

MtthsMlw wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:30
FLuidd wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:24
Dont want to brag but I called it. The Ferrari is clearly superior on both quali and race pace.

With a Vettel victory tomorrow I do not see Hamilton or Mercedes winning the WDC and WCC, moreover it seems this season will be over well before last race.

If Vettel gets first off the first corner in the race, then it is a slam dunk.

Last but not least i will be surprised if one of the mercedes cars doesnt have a mechanical failure... mechanical failures, oh how the times have changed.

Prediction for tomorrow is a 1 - 2 Ferrari, there is just no reason to put anything else.
There is still a chance of rain.
It wont rain during the race.

Manfer
Manfer

GrandAxe wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:46
Manfer wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:14
https://www.grandprix247.com/2018/07/21 ... view-team/

I am just gonna leave this here.
I guess fate had different ideas.
Competition is the very essence of any sport. It is a spectacle of the champion putting his balls on the line, daring others to as much as touch them. So, it is wrong and almost condemnable that we should have someone who was lucky, yet bailed out of the opportunity to compete; roaming the paddock, making comments (many ill-judged) on those who are actually breaking their backsides to compete and keep F1 alive as a sport.

TV should not be about courting controversy, or breaking moral bounds with sensationalism. There is the danger that F1 itself will get broken if there are no principles. F1 is not a dumb reality show.
Since when is who interviews you after qualifying or race part of the competition? Isn't half the sky f1 team washed up f1 drivers who haven't driven a modern car in ages? How is your comment fair considering the bullshit they spew day in and out against mistakes drivers make ( apart from Hamilton obviously).

MtthsMlw

falonso81 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:06
ismail1991 wrote:
At the previous races, Ferrari engine was a little better than Mercedes, but all of a sudden their engine has an apparent edge. As far as I know, Ferrari didn't bring any upgrades to their engine last two races. How can this be explained? In addition, would it be logical for mercedes to put a new engine for hamilton for the race tomorrow and take a penalty and start last?
Ferrari have taken new components for this race. Maybe they help them being faster.
New ES and MGU-K. No reports if they are same spec as before or different.

LionKing
LionKing

RZS10 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:03
According to Mercedes the hydraulics issue occured before the heavy bumps, so the defect wasn't caused by him going wide but the other way round, he went wide after losing power steering - seems to be a similar issue to Bottas in Austria ...
After quali, Toto told that it was the other way around.

I believe Merc has no other option but to say this after the comments by Hamilton. They had to cover for their star driver. Hamilton was off a few times previous to this incident as well...
Last edited by LionKing on 21 Jul 2018, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

GPR-A duplicate2

basti313
basti313

f1316 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:42
MtthsMlw wrote:
FLuidd wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:24
Dont want to brag but I called it. The Ferrari is clearly superior on both quali and race pace.

With a Vettel victory tomorrow I do not see Hamilton or Mercedes winning the WDC and WCC, moreover it seems this season will be over well before last race.

If Vettel gets first off the first corner in the race, then it is a slam dunk.

Last but not least i will be surprised if one of the mercedes cars doesnt have a mechanical failure... mechanical failures, oh how the times have changed.

Prediction for tomorrow is a 1 - 2 Ferrari, there is just no reason to put anything else.
Anything can happen - just remember Hamilton coming all the way back last time; even without a safety car (other than lap 1), Vettel went from last to 5th in France too. Rain, safety cars, VSCs etc. I’m not counting any chickens.
True. If nothing happens in turn 1, there is still a chance for P4. With the assumption, that Ferrari is simply faster here, this is just a loss of maybe 3 points. With a turn 1 incident of the top 4, there is an easy podium in sight.
Don`t russel the hamster!

LM10
LM10

ismail1991 wrote:
By a new software, for example.

MtthsMlw

The GPS data showed again, that Ferrari is mighty on the straights at the moment. Even if the top speed difference in the end is only 1.8 km/h to Sebastian Vettel and 3.9 km/h to Raikkonen.

But the direct speed comparisons also show: Vettel and Bottas each came out of curve 2 at 100 km/h. In the initial acceleration phase the Mercedes can still briefly keep up. From the moment that the acceleration is determined solely by power, the Ferrari wins up to 7 km/h on the Silver Arrows. Altogether Mercedes loses four tenths on the red opponent over all straights.

We've only seen this bill from Red Bull so far. They lost 0.8 seconds over all straights.
AMuS

fabian77
fabian77

RZS10 wrote:
According to Mercedes the hydraulics issue occured before the heavy bumps, so the defect wasn't caused by him going wide but the other way round, he went wide after losing power steering - seems to be a similar issue to Bottas in Austria ...
Do you really think they would blame their golden boy, the car was fine on the replays until he went over the kerbs.

ismail1991
ismail1991

fabian77 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:44
RZS10 wrote:
Do you really think they would blame their golden boy, the car was fine on the replays until he went over the kerbs.
we have seen cars jumping over the kurbs harder. For example, Ericcson's car also jumped over as hard as hamilton's car in the quali, but he was able to come to pits. A sudden change in steering wheel feeling might have lead hamliton to run wide. The car should be able to damp the forces endured jumping over the kerbs.

FLuidd
FLuidd

I for example do not see Hamilton finishing tomorrows race, not only because of turn 1, but because he might have damaged his engine when he failed to stop when instructed by his race engineer.

Furthermore I do not see losing tomorrows race, let alone finishing behind Lewis.

jz11
jz11

basti313 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 18:26
f1316 wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 17:42
MtthsMlw wrote:

Anything can happen - just remember Hamilton coming all the way back last time; even without a safety car (other than lap 1), Vettel went from last to 5th in France too. Rain, safety cars, VSCs etc. I’m not counting any chickens.
True. If nothing happens in turn 1, there is still a chance for P4. With the assumption, that Ferrari is simply faster here, this is just a loss of maybe 3 points. With a turn 1 incident of the top 4, there is an easy podium in sight.
Remember who is starting from the 2nd row, the pressure of uneventful (no crashes) races must be building up.

I wonder what are the odds at the bookies for VER not causing a first lap incident for tomorrow... :D

Sevach
Sevach

A lot of understeer for Vettel in the stadium, should be well set up against the rear blisters.