Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Redragon

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

I wish Marchione all the best but his departure by health issues could open the doors to Alonso return, but I am still thinking he is going to Renault

GrayGreat

After todays race, I will repeat what I said some time ago. Ferrari need someone like Alonso (and there is no one else on his level that can handle the pressure) to win the championship.

Fulcrum

GrayGreat wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:31
After todays race, I will repeat what I said some time ago. Ferrari need someone like Alonso (and there is no one else on his level that can handle the pressure) to win the championship.
Verstappen, but that won't happen. For a while anyway.

GrayGreat

Fulcrum wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:36
GrayGreat wrote:
RedBull and Ferrari are totally different. Verstappen handles pressure very well, but he is at RedBull, just like Vettel handled pressure at RedBull. They are very supportive of their 'favourite' drivers. Ferrari on the other hand, has its limits. Remember Arrivabene saying that 'Vettel has to earn his salary' ? Things like this matter a lot. And in my opinion, Verstappen is not ready for that just yet.

Big Tea

GrayGreat wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:42
Fulcrum wrote:
GrayGreat wrote:
RedBull and Ferrari are totally different. Verstappen handles pressure very well, but he is at RedBull, just like Vettel handled pressure at RedBull. They are very supportive of their 'favourite' drivers. Ferrari on the other hand, has its limits. Remember Arrivabene saying that 'Vettel has to earn his salary' ? Things like this matter a lot. And in my opinion, Verstappen is not ready for that just yet.

I may be wide of the mark, but I feel MAX is there because he wants to race. He does not care who, but he wants to race. Titles will come, and team orders will be accepted, but he is still in the having fun mindset.

When he grows up, he will not be so much fun. enjoy him now.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:46
GrayGreat wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 17:42
Fulcrum wrote:

I may be wide of the mark, but I feel MAX is there because he wants to race. He does not care who, but he wants to race. Titles will come, and team orders will be accepted, but he is still in the having fun mindset.

When he grows up, he will not be so much fun. enjoy him now.
It will take some more time indeed. So far VER has been the underdog and that is a very different pressure when you know you have (one of the) fastest cars and the team demands you to win (almost). The few times VER was in this position, monaco this year comes to mind, he flinched.

Vettel's weakpoint are still these moments, split seconds.... which Hamilton really hasn't got anymore. As for Alonso, it's been a while back he's been under real presssure... last time he had one of the fastest cars, was 2010? stuck behind Petrov? :D

adrianjordan

No way is Kimi staying at Ferrari.

The radio exchange today was all about making it clear to other teams that he was being made to give up the place.

That's my opinion anyway.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

alexx_88

If Vettel drops the ball on this year's championship I expect people at Ferrari are going to start questioning whether he's the right number 1 driver for their championship push. 2 huge mistakes last year and 3 already this season, throwing away bags of points. Ferrari have somehow come out of nowhere to challenge for the championship during the last 2 seasons, but surely they're looking at all these points they've been throwing away and scratching their heads.

Saying that, I think vettel composed himself brilliantly during the interview, but that composure would've probably been of better use in the car...

Manoah2u

Even Schumacher and Senna made costly mistakes, let's not get too ahead of ourselves now.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Vasconia

What about Sainz and Renault? I hear rumours about him leaving the team. It sounds weird because the team was very happy with him and he seemed to be happy too. Last two races have been difficult for him so I guess this situation may be affecting him.

alexx_88

Manoah2u wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 04:16
Even Schumacher and Senna made costly mistakes, let's not get too ahead of ourselves now.
Maybe we could get some statistics, but my gut feeling is that he's been making more mistakes than other drivers in similar positions. Seems to let pressure get to him. It correlates with what his teammates have said in the past (Webber, DC). Or look at it from Ferrari's side. They somehow pulled two championship contender cars out of the bag, they aren't going to allow driver mistakes to ruin a championship. Especially when the guy in the other rival car is making way fewer mistakes.

marvin78

The other guy yesterday made the same mistake as Vettel. The corner was another and so it did not affect his race. I don't want to say that you are not right but sometimes it's the perspective that is wrong. I am not a driver fan and I don't understand why one is and so I look different on things. I don't see that one of the mentioned driver makes more errors than the other.

alexx_88

I wouldn't say it's the same degree of error. Every driver knows, when they approach a corner, the degree of error that the corner allows and push accordingly. That's why you see them going very wide on the kerbs where there are tarmac run-offs, but tread cautiously if instead of tarmac, there's gravel. A great racing driver needs to be able to balance out risk and reward. It would be silly to treat all corners the same, no matter the risks.

On its own, yesterday's error wouldn't mean much. But it fits into the same pattern with Baku 2018, French GP 2018, Singapore 2017, Baku 2017 and so on. Of course it's not easy, but that's why Vettel earns 10-40x more compared to another driver for maybe just 1-2 tenths in normal conditions. To extract maximum out of the car in difficult conditions and when under a lot of pressure.

HPD

The sale of FI will affect Sainz.
Ocon = French driver, Renault = French team. According to Amus, Ocon is already talking to Renault about a place.

Sainz could return to TR or go to Mclaren. That leaves Vandoorne without a seat by 2019.
But Amus says that Vandoorne can go to Williams.
And if Mclaren does not give Lando Norris a seat in 2019, he'll probably go to TR. And Hartley is out
(Obviously Lance Stroll will go to FI)
I do not understand anything :lol:

Big Tea

just wondering aloud like, but if Red Bull were to buy up either Fi or Williams (if they lose Strol money, they are in danger) what could they do with the engine contract?
Would it have to stay with FI? or is it transferable to Red Bull?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.