Silly Season 2018/2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Silly Season 2018/2019

Big Tea wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 18:15
just wondering aloud like, but if Red Bull were to buy up either Fi or Williams (if they lose Strol money, they are in danger) what could they do with the engine contract?
Would it have to stay with FI? or is it transferable to Red Bull?
I am sure that Mclaren have lawyers looking into that exact scenario!!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Phil

I think the problem with Sainz/Redbull is that it can only be decided in October and Renault cant afford to wait that long without considering other options...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

epo
epo

Phil wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 18:56
I think the problem with Sainz/Redbull is that it can only be decided in October and Renault cant afford to wait that long without considering other options...
Renault have to pay for Sainz but they probably don't want too. He will not get a RB seat as long Max and Marko are there, so TR is his ony hope there. Renault should better go for Ocon as Sainz simply is not faster then the Hulk.

NL_Fer

Autobild Motorsport says that Stroll has bought Force India today, after a controlled bankruptcy.

HPD

NL_Fer wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 19:44
Autobild Motorsport says that Stroll has bought Force India today, after a controlled bankruptcy.
Yes. And what happens if Mr. Stroll wants his son Lance Stroll to run in FI "immediately" in 2018?

Big Tea

HPD wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 20:07
NL_Fer wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 19:44
Yes. And what happens if Mr. Stroll wants his son Lance Stroll to run in FI "immediately" in 2018?
It probably depends on what sort of deal he did with the existing sponsors.
It will also mean that he will have to honor any deal he did with Williams too.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

alexx_88

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 18:40
Big Tea wrote:
what could they do with the engine contract?
I really hope that McLaren have accepted the engine is only one small part of their issues and no matter what they put in the back of that car, it's not going to make it win races.

I think the engine deals are tied to the team, but I think there are ways in which you could force the pu manufacturer 's hand and transfer it across. I doubt anyone would block McLaren attempting that. Red bull on the other hand, I think it's pretty clear they'd be very much up there with a ferrari or Mercedes pu.

adrianjordan

alexx_88 wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 22:25
adrianjordan wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 18:40
Big Tea wrote:
what could they do with the engine contract?
I really hope that McLaren have accepted the engine is only one small part of their issues and no matter what they put in the back of that car, it's not going to make it win races.

I think the engine deals are tied to the team, but I think there are ways in which you could force the pu manufacturer 's hand and transfer it across. I doubt anyone would block McLaren attempting that. Red bull on the other hand, I think it's pretty clear they'd be very much up there with a ferrari or Mercedes pu.
Oh I'm sure, but regardless of car performance, a Merc PU is still a better unit than a Renault at the moment.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Vasconia

epo wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 19:39
Phil wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 18:56
Renault have to pay for Sainz but they probably don't want too. He will not get a RB seat as long Max and Marko are there, so TR is his ony hope there. Renault should better go for Ocon as Sainz simply is not faster then the Hulk.
But its pretty clear that Ricciardo will stay in RB as Ferrari and Mercedes are not an option now. Renault has said more than once that they are very happy with Sainz. He has pushed Nico to show his best. During the last 3-4 races Sainz was being as fast as him and in some races faster, his progression was clear though the last two races have been quite complicated for him. His jon on the last qualy was great considering Nico was using the new front wing.

garygph

I read that Martin Brundle feels the chances of Alonso going back to Ferrari next year are on due to change of leadership.

iotar__

Sainz's 1 year loan farce shows Renault's approach to F1. He is a good fit to their Toyota style formula: mediocre team - mediocre but marketing fit drivers, not achieving anything, shifting goalposts, maybe we should get better ones and change approach, oops too late. They get headlines which is what matters, racing - not so much. Same goes for Ocon, both headlines and mediocrity.

I noticed that last two races by Leclerc, Silverstone when one corner was too difficult of a task and Germany's mess basically didn't happen in Only Good News Marketing (TM) :D media. I think it's a mistake to ignore them, he's making his media based case of replacing Raikkonen stronger that way.

As for Ferrari if F1 were a sport based on merit and driven by sporting achievements we would have had Grosjean - Bottas line up for the last 4 seasons, much more interesting F1 and every chance for them to win something.

alexx_88

garygph wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 09:16
I read that Martin Brundle feels the chances of Alonso going back to Ferrari next year are on due to change of leadership.
I read that bit of the article a bit differently, sort of like one last desperate push from Alonso, rather than Ferrari's new boss giving any indication of wanting to change their lineup.

Latest news that Stroll has bought FI and Jr is moving into one of the seats in 2018 shakes a lot of things up. Mainly for the worse, as it brings yet another driver into the better teams, crowding the market even more. I don't understand the Ocon to Renault move, who's going to take over at Mercedes after Hamilton retires?

FrukostScones

garygph wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 09:16
Brundle the good old VET hater.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FrukostScones

Ferrari:
VET/RAI
Merc:
HAM/BOT
Rb:
VES/RIC
Renault:
ALO/OCO
McLaren:
SAI/NOR
Findia:
STR/PER
Williams:
RUS/VAN
Sauber:
ERI/GIO
Tr:
GAS/BUE
Haas:
MAG/LEC
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

alexx_88

Where's Hulk?