[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
etsmc

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

so able to do some simulations with the new car and its lacking a lot of down force but interesting to see the changes between 0deg rake and 1.25deg rake..
not just on the lift and drag but also cooling...

LVDH

RicME85 wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 12:48
LVDH wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 11:33
RicME85 wrote:
22 Jul 2018, 23:36
Fentanyl and Morphine is not conducive to self learning :lol:
That does not even help to generate new and creative ideas not seen before?
Well its good for bizarre shapes in your mind but actually creating these mind bending surfaces is another matter :lol:
Yeah, getting the ideas into the CAD system is always a challenge, at least often they get better during the process.

I finished the simulation of the revised Intro class car:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0icms5y8drs4q ... t.zip?dl=0
It looks like Matteo took a good look at the first results and did a good job. Cooling flow is fixed and by using a better working rear wing now the aero center is even a bit too far back. But the wings and so on will be the problem of the Intro Class designers. We now see that it will be possible to make a working car.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 11:16
I finished the simulation of the revised Intro class car:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0icms5y8drs4q ... t.zip?dl=0
It looks like Matteo took a good look at the first results and did a good job. Cooling flow is fixed and by using a better working rear wing now the aero center is even a bit too far back. But the wings and so on will be the problem of the Intro Class designers. We now see that it will be possible to make a working car.
Thanks for the simulation.

The cooling will be further improved in the final release (it is better to have a safety margin for the intro car, many details can reduce it). The balance is ok (I will even add a bit more rear downforce) in order to provide to options for the users: 1) Reducing the rear wing effect (+ efficiency) 2) Adding a small rake angle (+downforce).

My suggestion for the new teams is to study the intro car, just working on small details (winglets, rear diffuser strakes,gurneys, ...) and to change the design only after understanding how the flow works around the car.

Anyway: the car will be provided with separeted components in a few days.

EDIT: I am surprised by the efficiency of the intro car (around 5!), I fear to have provided a car that is too fast.

Ft5fTL

I should have just go intro :lol:
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

CAEdevice

Hi, this is the best I can do before the first race, about the "intro car":

http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... _Rev02.zip Previously released
http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... 2_STEP.zip version with body divided into separated components

The car is quite fast (cl/cd ration around 5), and it should supporto a small rake angle (0.25-0.5°, not tested yet).

I am going to submit my official car in the next two days, then I will be offline for a couple of weeks!

etsmc

CAEdevice wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 16:25
Hi, this is the best I can do before the first race, about the "intro car":

http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... _Rev02.zip Previously released
http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... 2_STEP.zip version with body divided into separated components

The car is quite fast (cl/cd ration around 5), and it should supporto a small rake angle (0.25-0.5°, not tested yet).

I am going to submit my official car in the next two days, then I will be offline for a couple of weeks!
That's an impressive car, looking at the results i am slightly.. no very worried that i will be falling behind the intro cars this year. :oops:
Well Done!! =D>

CAEdevice

Thanks! Consider that there is no difference between my official car and the the intro car in the "middle body" component. I developed them together untill... yesterday. The simplified "rear body" and "front body" are needed to make modeling easier and cfd results more stable.

LVDH

OK, guys due to some of the issues I had to fix here, I decided to move the first race one week back:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-calen ... ults-2018/

At some point someone noticed that the car does not rotate around the front wheel center line. This is because of legacy reasons, the global car coordinate system is not in the center of this line but rather in the center of the wheel patches. The only way to fix this is the move the car around 300mm downwards. This would include all guide, template and CFD parts. My idea was to make this move after the first race. Now, with the delay, we could just as well do that now. What do you guys think?

CAEdevice

Hi, LDVH has published the calendar on the official website with a small update:

Le Mans: Race 12.08.2018 – Results 26.08.2018 (efficency track)
Sepang: Race 16.09.2018 – Results 30.09.2018 (efficency track)
Sao Paulo: Race 11.11.2018 – Results 25.11.2018 (efficency track)
Daytona: Race 26.01.2019 – Results 09.02.2019 (?)
Pikes Peak: Race 24.02.2019 – Results 10.03.2019 (high downforce?)

Should we consdier the first date (ex. 12.08.2018) as the deadline for the submission? if so, I will not need to send the files before leaving.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 15:05
OK, guys due to some of the issues I had to fix here, I decided to move the first race one week back:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-calen ... ults-2018/

At some point someone noticed that the car does not rotate around the front wheel center line. This is because of legacy reasons, the global car coordinate system is not in the center of this line but rather in the center of the wheel patches. The only way to fix this is the move the car around 300mm downwards. This would include all guide, template and CFD parts. My idea was to make this move after the first race. Now, with the delay, we could just as well do that now. What do you guys think?
It would be quite complicated anyway.
I would keep everything as it is, providing an image to gaphically show where the rotation point is.

Honestly I am not sure that the rake option is so useful: it would have been more than enough to allow a "volume" where to place the floor. The HX rotation is more important in my opinion.

Ft5fTL

LVDH wrote:
I have no problems with that.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 15:07
Should we consdier the first date (ex. 12.08.2018) as the deadline for the submission? if so, I will not need to send the files before leaving.
That is how it always worked if you remember after all this time without MVRC. Usually the results will be published at the second date. However the last two years the MVRC team was so good that everything was always done to be published the following Sunday. So, we simply never let you guys wait for too long. But as problems can always occure, the date is always two weeks after the submission deadline. I will update the page to make this more clear.

CAEdevice wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 15:11
Honestly I am not sure that the rake option is so useful: it would have been more than enough to allow a "volume" where to place the floor. The HX rotation is more important in my opinion.
Well, it is always interesting to see what you guys do with such kind of possibilities, also I would imagine that it helps with balancing the cars.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
the global car coordinate system is not in the center of this line but rather in the center of the wheel patches.
Do you mean that the car rotates around a point that is about in the middle of the wheelbase?

etsmc

i think freezing what we have now for the season is the way to go.. although it is not working as intended it is working the same for everyone. These things that get picked up from now should be looked at for the future.
If there is a fundamental floor then by all means fix it. the rake settings is giving us options and it does make a difference i think it should stay as it is.

RicME85

I would rather things get postponed until the software is working as desired.
Does the band-aid fix from BlueCFD have any detrimental effects (has this been tested?) or is it just a brute-force method of getting things working?