2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2018 Williams F1 Racing - Mercedes

I found it worrying how stubborn Claire was on the C4 live show when asked about the possibility of selling the team.

Her response almost suggested to me that she would rather close up shop than sell the team. Obviously she'd rather not be in that position, but given their potential cash flow problems, I was expecting her to suggest that they may look at selling some shares etc to raise capital etc etc.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 08:27
I found it worrying how stubborn Claire was on the C4 live show when asked about the possibility of selling the team.

Her response almost suggested to me that she would rather close up shop than sell the team. Obviously she'd rather not be in that position, but given their potential cash flow problems, I was expecting her to suggest that they may look at selling some shares etc to raise capital etc etc.
Probably her emotional attachment is more a interference than an assistance now. She would no doubt find it difficult to swing the axe as long time staff would feel like family to her. She has been there since she was a girl.

Not saying staff should go, but It is probably the same with processes she has been part of for years.

(@Manoah2u. Sorry if I sounded 'argumentative' That was not my intention)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Thunder

So with Lance Stroll (apparently, but good sources report it) buying Force India.... where does that leave Williams? Stroll Money gone, Martini gone at the end of the Year if i remember correctly. Hopefully they can find some new Money.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

skoop

I'm really worried about the teams future as well.

Do we know how much money they get from the Strolls and Martini?

adrianjordan

Who would have thought a couple of years ago that we'd be looking at the possibility of Williams going bust...

Sad times indeed.

Personally, and this is just me, I'd like to see them survive and retain their independence, but I have a feeling that the only way they're going to make it through the next week seasons is either to miraculously find a major new sponsor or to become to Mercedes what Haas are to Ferrari and buy far more of the car. Even that won't help them if they can't get on top of their aero problems though.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Mr Brooksy

AMuS is reporting that Williams are looking at buying Mercedes gearbox and rear suspension in 2019...

I'm in two minds about this, we no longer are a full manufacturer (aside from engines) and we will lose the know how of the rear end development. But it does mean less cost to develop with our limited budget.

Does this also mean we are voluntarily relegating ourselves PERMANENTLY to the midfield? I fear it does...
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

tinvek

confession time, i'm not a huge Williams fan, lots of little reasons including how they fought against customer teams a few years back whilst ignoring that's exactly how frank started in F1.

having made my personal feelings clear i'd just like to say that i'm now really worried for them, they're looking more and more like Lotus did ( proper lotus not caterham or renault ) a team that looses it's championship winning mojo, and after a few seasons of almost being able to compete for a championship slip further and further away before eventually just running out of time / money.

i agree about how mclaren's troubles have taken the heat off them, especially given how they have performed compared to force india over the last few seasons,but in itself that is a reflection of people's expectations for williams these days. the one good thing about williams is the way they have behaved in public about their struggles with no blame culture and finger pointing.

i also agree that claire is probably too close to see / cure the problems and possibly lets emotions and sentiment colour her judgement, paddy i'm not too sure, i suspect at merc his unofficial role was the glue that kept things together along with being someone who can absorb everyone's information and viewpoints and then filter and sort it before producing a decision. it may well be that just as a driver may need a good car to shine, so paddy needs quality of information to shine, something which i suspect is just not available at williams at the moment, i don't feel he's viable as a replacement for claire as i don't think that leading and long term planning is his strength, that's not to say i feel claire should keep her job, maybe she needs to step back and become more of a figurehead, a role that would fit her PR skills, and williams find a true leader for the actual running of the team.

the next 18 months could well define williams for ever, we're beginning to get the run up to new regulations and if they have not got themselves back into a place where they can develop before the new regs design period starts, i fear they could loose any chance of ever catching up, which would be a bad thing for F1 in general.

djos

As a parent of two young children, I don't understand how Claire has the time to run an F1 team. Frank should find a professional team principle and let Claire be a mum 1st, Williams employee 2nd!

Fwiw, we have a cleaner come weekly and regular sitters to look after the kids and my wife is still run off her feet looking after them and working 15 hours a week.
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

Mr Brooksy wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 13:12
AMuS is reporting that Williams are looking at buying Mercedes gearbox and rear suspension in 2019...

I'm in two minds about this, we no longer are a full manufacturer (aside from engines) and we will lose the know how of the rear end development. But it does mean less cost to develop with our limited budget.

Does this also mean we are voluntarily relegating ourselves PERMANENTLY to the midfield? I fear it does...
PERMANENTLY in the midfield is a better option than what else seems on offer.

If Williams are there, they can change strategies in later years (not permanent, just to cover the hump) and try to become a leader again.
If they wind up at the end of next year, that is permanent. You have to be in it to win it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

adrianjordan

djos wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 13:22
As a parent of two young children, I don't understand how Claire has the time to run an F1 team. Frank should find a professional team principle and let Claire be a mum 1st, Williams employee 2nd!

Fwiw, we have a cleaner come weekly and regular sitters to look after the kids and my wife is still run off her feet looking after them and working 15 hours a week.
I know plenty of professionals who manage to juggle their home and professional lives. And Claire has significantly better resources to be able to do that as she can take the baby around the world with her.

djos

adrianjordan wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 23:13
djos wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 13:22

I know plenty of professionals who manage to juggle their home and professional lives. And Claire has significantly better resources to be able to do that as she can take the baby around the world with her.
So do I, they work insane hours and their kids hardly see them, they see more of the sitters than their parents. Imo that's not a good outcome for the kids.
"In downforce we trust"

Manoah2u

Ditch Claire.
Hire Jost Capito.
Bring in a deal with Tesla.
Jost will bring in Porsche.
Tesla brings battery tech and knowledge aboard.
Injects plenty of money.
Things get forward, Elon Musk buys a huge stake into the team.

Tesla Williams Porsche F1 Team.

If there can be a Aston Martin Red Bull Honda F1 Team, there can be a TWP F1 team.

It'll take 4 years of heavy investing but will be worth it. They'll be at the front of the midfield by 2022, 2 years into the 'new' F1 format.
Michelin will make a return by then so best to start looking into that too.

By that time, if Norris really is something to look into, they'll hire Norris, and i think Sainz could be a good pairing.
Or who knows, Mick Schumacher.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

GhostF1

Manoah2u wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 08:56
Ditch Claire.
Hire Jost Capito.
Bring in a deal with Tesla.
Jost will bring in Porsche.
Tesla brings battery tech and knowledge aboard.
Injects plenty of money.
Things get forward, Elon Musk buys a huge stake into the team.

Tesla Williams Porsche F1 Team.

If there can be a Aston Martin Red Bull Honda F1 Team, there can be a TWP F1 team.

It'll take 4 years of heavy investing but will be worth it. They'll be at the front of the midfield by 2022, 2 years into the 'new' F1 format.
Michelin will make a return by then so best to start looking into that too.

By that time, if Norris really is something to look into, they'll hire Norris, and i think Sainz could be a good pairing.
Or who knows, Mick Schumacher.
Just for discussions sake..
I'm not sure how much tech Tesla could bring in. Sure, electric car company but it's a known fact the electric motors and batteries they use are far from cutting edge, they are actually relatively basic. Jaguar's new i-Pace uses higher tech batteries and more efficient (yet expensive) motors. And even then it's Panasonic who do all the R&D and build the batteries for Tesla, LG Chem does it for Jag.

littlebigcat

Honda and Aston Martin are not direct competitors. Porsche and Tesla most definitely are. Also, who really would want to get the dumpster fire that is Elon Musk involved?

However I do feel like if Porsche were going to get involved in F1, Williams would be a good fit. Sideways tie with Singer there too.

djos

Tesla don't have the money either, they've been profitable for something like 2 quarters in their entire history!
"In downforce we trust"