Burning coolant fluid

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
NL_Fer

Burning coolant fluid

With a sharp limit on oil consumption, the tech-heads must be looking for other ways of adding some to the combustion. How about coolant? What is possible to add in the fluid and what could be gained?

Even if a combustable additive is not possible, how about preventing knock or even just cool the charge temperature. Any ideas if such is possible or why not.

MtthsMlw

Re: Burning coolant fluid

Don't know how you would bring that stuff in to the combustion chamber you can't just add another valve and pump it in there I think.
Engine oil wasn't simply injected in to the cylinder, that was/is rather complex.

lucafo

I was thinking about the white smoke from ferrari. I could see it some times during the german gp again.
The smoke stopped since the begin of the season, but now it looks to be back again.
Maybe they are cooling something else.
The smoke seens to be just below the rear lamp.
Anyone have seen it either?

wuzak

That is oil burning on startup.

The plume near the brake light is oil from the crankcase breather.

I can't see how you could introduce coolant to the combustion process in a manner not obviously illegal.

Maritimer

Water soluble oils don't burn very nicely, especially once they're in solution. The vapors can be flammable but I doubt you would get much useful energy from them in an engine. Plus theres the matter of getting your coolant into the cylinder without there being potential for the engine to pump gases into the water jacket. Probably not a path worth going down.

roon

Incidental leakage of non-fuel and combustion air fluids into the intake plenum is permitted. Whatever that means. "Oh, yeah, incidentally we're leaking 40hp worth of steam through the turbine! Oops!" :lol: But seriously, why not? I commend the OP's suggestion.

AJI
AJI

roon wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 01:43
...we're leaking 40hp worth of steam through the turbine! Oops!" :lol: But seriously, why not? I commend the OP's suggestion.
Indeed, why not!

roon

What a strange looking Ferrari.

AJI
AJI

roon wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 02:20
What a strange looking Ferrari.
Ironically, it's rumoured that the Stanley Steamer had 38Hp!!!
Perhaps you can re-post your original idea in the Ferrari PU thread? Get everyone thinking about a different approach.

wuzak

Maritimer wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 01:10
Water soluble oils don't burn very nicely, especially once they're in solution. The vapors can be flammable but I doubt you would get much useful energy from them in an engine. Plus theres the matter of getting your coolant into the cylinder without there being potential for the engine to pump gases into the water jacket. Probably not a path worth going down.
I don't think you'd use coolant for combustion, as such, but to provide an anti-detonation effect.

But since it could not enter the compressor inlet legally, and any leakage would probably cause problems with lubrication, I think it is highly unlikely.

NL_Fer

What if we use the intercooler and its fluid? A little engineered leak in the radiator, only to start spilling if the pressure is increased?

roon

Yeah. Only about 28k microtube seals to ensure aren't leaking. 8)

strad

I don't think you'd use coolant for combustion, as such, but to provide an anti-detonation effect.
At one time they tried water injection in high performance drag type engines but that was an injection system similar to nitrous and would be very obvious. Also I assume they use some trick water wetter that wouldn't be good for the internals.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Maritimer

strad wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 19:25
At one time they tried water injection in high performance drag type engines but that was an injection system similar to nitrous and would be very obvious. Also I assume they use some trick water wetter that wouldn't be good for the internals.
Water and methanol is the standard mix. They used it in F1 in the 80s when the cars ran on toluene, tons of people use it in drag racing now. Been banned in all major racing series for quite a while though.

strad

Thanks Maritimer;
As an old time drag racer I am aware of the mixing of alcohol and water. However there has been the use of straight water to cool things as well. But you are correct that drag racers often used a mixture. As I said though it usually required plumbing that scrutneering would spot.
Of course the guys in F1 are pretty sharp on hiding things but I doubt they are doing it. What is your opinion?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss