Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

Sierra117 wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 14:44
Looks like a city with those winglets and vanes lol.

Though aren't teams supposed to be more secretive? How do these pictures get taken?
Merc isn't that secretive it seems. They often don't mind if pictures like these are getting taken.

Sevach

Sierra117 wrote:

Though aren't teams supposed to be more secretive? How do these pictures get taken?
I think you have to hand your car to the scrutineers, and they don't care.
Also screens have been forbidden at the GPs (still used at testing) for quite a few years now.

Still weird that the car is suspended and without the nose giving a clear view of everything.

astracrazy

I think if they have some new idea then they try to hide it, but for the general car there is no need.

They understand what many seem to forget - its not copy and paste.

Teams may look at that and see what Merc are doing, but they can't just take that and stick it on there car. They might take inspiration for there future development, but it would be weeks to months (depending on the scale of what it is) through R&D to end up on the car. By then, Merc (or whoever) could well be on to there next idea in that area anyway.

Just_a_fan

Sevach wrote:
26 Jul 2018, 15:28
Sierra117 wrote:

I think you have to hand your car to the scrutineers, and they don't care.
Also screens have been forbidden at the GPs (still used at testing) for quite a few years now.

Still weird that the car is suspended and without the nose giving a clear view of everything.
The car is wheeled down to scrutineering as you say. I've got some photos of Schumacher's Ferrari diffuser in 2000(?) in the same way - the car was sat in the scrutineering queue and I just walked up and photographed it. No one minded, team members just stood around chatting.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sierra117

Is Merc the only one that has such aggressive engine cooling solutions? I can't remember ever seeing Ferrari do it (e.g openning a chimney). Wonder what that indicates in terms of engine design and packing.

Then again it could be the electrics that are being cooled more since they get hot a lot real fast (batteries especially).
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

M840TR

Sierra117

I'm a bit confused - for quite a few years we've talked how Merc's design is for most of the tracks and thus Monaco and Hungary and Singapore end up unfavourable tracks ... yet we can see from last year and this year, Ferrari performs EVERYWHERE. Last year we saw them do great on all tracks, but their PU wasn't quite there yet and this year they've worked on power, so now there's no track that is weak for them.
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

MtthsMlw

Sierra117 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 12:41
I'm a bit confused - for quite a few years we've talked how Merc's design is for most of the tracks and thus Monaco and Hungary and Singapore end up unfavourable tracks ... yet we can see from last year and this year, Ferrari performs EVERYWHERE. Last year we saw them do great on all tracks, but their PU wasn't quite there yet and this year they've worked on power, so now there's no track that is weak for them.
Well Ferrari's and Merc's wheelbases are simliar but Ferrari is running more rake which should in theory give them more DF. Therefore they might not be on RB level in Monaco, Hungary and Singapore but they're faster than Merc on these maximum DF tracks.

Sierra117

I wonder if Merc would increase rake for the upcoming regulation changes where the rear wing will be much bigger? Perhaps the PU is still more powerful, but the mismatched rear traction means we never really see it shine except when everything hits the spot?

I personally like the look and novelty of having no rake so I hope they can find a way through suspension without adding rake xD
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

wesley123

MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 14:01
Well Ferrari's and Merc's wheelbases are simliar but Ferrari is running more rake which should in theory give them more DF. Therefore they might not be on RB level in Monaco, Hungary and Singapore but they're faster than Merc on these maximum DF tracks.
The rake is about traction, not generating more downforce. The rake allows for a softer rear suspension, which will improve traction. Something that is really useful with these V6s.

People like to differentiate those three tracks based on downforce, but in reality, they differentiate largely on traction. And that is the thing that Mercedes have struggled with, and that is also why they perform so badly on these tracks.

If it actually was aero that was the differentiating factor, Mercedes would have sucked pretty badly in Barcelona, which they did not.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

mantikos

wesley123 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 18:48
MtthsMlw wrote:
The rake is about traction, not generating more downforce. The rake allows for a softer rear suspension, which will improve traction. Something that is really useful with these V6s.

People like to differentiate those three tracks based on downforce, but in reality, they differentiate largely on traction. And that is the thing that Mercedes have struggled with, and that is also why they perform so badly on these tracks.

If it actually was aero that was the differentiating factor, Mercedes would have sucked pretty badly in Barcelona, which they did not.
Sorry, you're wrong, it decidedly has an aero impact as well

wesley123

mantikos wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 20:22
wesley123 wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

It's aero, however, isn't the goal.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Tom145145

wesley123 wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 20:43
mantikos wrote:
27 Jul 2018, 20:22
wesley123 wrote:

It's aero, however, isn't the goal.
I believed the goal of a high rake car is to gain more df from the diffuser and increase the angle of attack of both the front and rear wings. You then run softer rear suspension so that at high speed the rear sits down, the angle of attack is reduced and the car sheds the df. So I think it’s more the softer suspension is a byproduct and the aero is the aim.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare