2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
falonso81

Re: 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

F1NAC wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 19:21
Isn't there a rule that was introduce few years ago relating on faking pitstops? How can Mercedes be allowed to pull those?
I remember that and i believe Merc did it again this year or 2017. Don't know if anything changed.

I think they can get away with it with the excuse that they intended to make a pit stop and changed their mind. Also on Sky they noticed that the mechanics were holding different type tyres which shows it was a fake pit stop.
Last edited by falonso81 on 29 Jul 2018, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.

apexcontrol
apexcontrol

bottas in a mercedes a disgrace, and i would say the same about kimi, 2 second drivers who are destroying nice battles.

come on put a normal driver beside vettel and especially hamilton this is just ridiculous.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

falonso81 wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 19:28
F1NAC wrote:
Isn't there a rule that was introduce few years ago relating on faking pitstops? How can Mercedes be allowed to pull those?
I remember that and i believe Merc did it again this year or 2017. Don't know if anything changed.

If you don't do it repeatedly it is okay.Also you cannot police it really. You change your mind right?? :D

Zynerji

falonso81 wrote:
F1NAC wrote:
They even fake pit stops by having their driver come into the pit Lane and crossing the grass before entering the pits! :lol:

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

MtthsMlw wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 19:05
Instant classic.
https://twitter.com/F1/status/1023612451802112001?s=19
Good old Kimi.

He would have been better to say ‘I know I can’t drink it, is it emptying because there is no point in my car carrying it’.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

:)
stuartpengs wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 18:34
Restomaniac wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 17:31
stuartpengs wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 17:27

:? Those two statements are completely contrary.

Another good race for Merc and HAM, points taken and lead increased where, truth be told, very few were expecting it. Track position is king here, I'm suprised there were so many varied predictions before the race. If you get away in the lead, have a clean stop, you're always in the box seat. Irrespective of Merc's form on hot hot tracks the delta to pass was just too much so they could run the car slower and still maintain the lead. Once HAM got out in the lead the win was in the bag, regardless of VET on US.

Looking forward to two stellar tracks next! :D
I’m pointing out the double standards on here.

My view is the first sentence. Some on here however are happy to jump on 1 team but ignore it when their team do it.
Apologies, I misinterpreted. Agree with what you say, that's the reason I don't visit very often now.
:)

Big Tea

apexcontrol wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 19:31
bottas in a mercedes a disgrace, and i would say the same about kimi, 2 second drivers who are destroying nice battles.

come on put a normal driver beside vettel and especially hamilton this is just ridiculous.
I think Bottas is doing his job at Mercedes very well. What more could they want. He is a team player who 'wings' and tailguns for his lead, and the team. Well done I say.

Set him 'loose' and you will have Ferrari Red Bull and Mercedes to fight. Do Mercedes have only one strategy guy?
Why is that I wonder :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Roman
Roman

Some stray observations:
1) congrats to HAM, first back to back win of the season! Shows how close everything is. Hope it's gonna stay like this after the summer!

2) Merc won this race on Saturday. With the 1-2 Ferraris only chance would have been to win the start. They didn't. At least they got Vettel past Bottas in the end.

3) VET pit stop did not change the outcome of the race. I don't see him overtaking Hamilton who had much fresher tires than Bottas.

4) Funny sky pundits asking Horner about potential penalties for Vettel but he only talked about potential penalties for Bottas! :lol: Btw - clear racing incident.

5) WTF is going on with Hamilton's hair? Only saw it after the race. Does he have it since a while?

MtthsMlw

So what are the rules about blue flags exactly? Sainz drove past 9 before letting Vettel through costing him around 2 seconds.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

All predictions for Red Bull went out the window.
One petered out the other came 4th, and their highest grid position at the start was 7th.

f1316
f1316

MtthsMlw wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 19:54
So what are the rules about blue flags exactly? Sainz drove past 9 before letting Vettel through costing him around 2 seconds.
Yeah, I wondered that - Vettel lost a lot of what was a comfortable gap to Bottas when Sainz ignored way too many flags. The gap would have then been big enough for a calm, relaxed pit stop and we’d have had a fun run to the flag - it is what it is but Sainz should still be penalised for in essence ruining the race for the win.

For the record, I don’t think Seb would have been able to pass Lewis (despite what Hamilton himself says) as he found it hard enough to get past Bottas, but we were nevertheless robbed of an intriguing finale.

sosic2121
sosic2121

Restomaniac wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 16:59
GrayGreat wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 16:53
So, anybody going to complain about Merc using Bottas as rear gunner and destroying his race?
I hate team orders/manipulation.
Ferrari should have let a clearly quicker Raikkonen have a pop at Bottas too.
You hate orders, but you call for them!?
I hate Ferrari is not using orders all the time. Like Mercedes do.

Moose
Moose

LM10 wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 18:33
Yea, the poor guy had a very slow car today. :lol:
I mean... he did, yes. The Ferraris were clearly the faster cars when they had clear air, the only reason they didn't win today was because Mercedes never let them have clear air.

simieski
simieski

falonso81 wrote:
F1NAC wrote:

I think they can get away with it with the excuse that they intended to make a pit stop and changed their mind. Also on Sky they noticed that the mechanics were holding different type tyres which shows it was a fake pit stop.
Were they not a set of tyres for each driver, being prepared for either driver to come in? Would make sense after bottas’s slow stop in Hockenheim when they had Hamilton’s tyres ready but not his.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Brenton
Brenton

falonso81 wrote:
F1NAC wrote:

Races ago Sky mentioned the rule, but somehow forgot to bring up the rule that they themselves brought up a little while back when Mercedes is doing it, doesn't make sense.
Could they make the bias less obvious? Crofty saying Kimi is faster than Sebastian on no basis whatsoever, arguing for Vettel to let Kimi past. Brundle who is always talking about a driver's "right" to run others off the road if the opponent is not 100% side by side, suddenly here thinks Vettel isn't allowed to take the inside line when Bottas was 0% alongside not even 100%. Crofty asking Horner if Vettel should be penalized for being ran into the back of? THen post-race, Crofty said that Bottas gave the place to Daniel? The fight was so obvious, either Crofty is blinded by bias or the guy commentating F1 to millions of people fundamentally doesn't understand motorsport. The commentary takes away from an entertaining race. Though the overall coverage by the world feed is much better than decades ago, so that's good.

How did Kimi lose so much time to Vettel halfway through despite on a 2 stop strategy, not having to save tires? Was he held up in traffic that bad or just really slow race pace? Traffic everywhere had such a big impact, truly similar to Monaco but thankfully still really exciting overtakes were possible!
Last edited by Brenton on 29 Jul 2018, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.