2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

Roman wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 19:50
Some stray observations:
1) congrats to HAM, first back to back win of the season! Shows how close everything is. Hope it's gonna stay like this after the summer!

5) WTF is going on with Hamilton's hair? Only saw it after the race. Does he have it since a while?

Part 1, its the 3rd back to back win this season ?!?!

Part 5, so many people comment on hamilton's hair, lifestyle, hobbies ect as they have no ammo at all when it comes to his driving. (Not saying you are necessarily one of them, it just reminded me about the number of people i hear commenting on things like his hair, Earrings, dogs ect)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NYGIANTS
NYGIANTS

CriXus wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 16:56
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 16:55
CriXus wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 16:54
Marting Brundle, what are you smoking and please, can i have some?
What did he say?
It was Vettel's fault for the accident with Bottas.
it was vettels fault! no one all race cut into the apex like he did, even ricciardo who passed a few cars in turn two took a much wider line. vettel was ahead going into the turn and if he stayed outside he would've been able to pull away with the stickier rubber. he's lucky he didn't get a puncture.

NYGIANTS
NYGIANTS

JonoNic wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 17:03
fabian77 wrote:
JonoNic wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 16:50
It's called understeer
Lol ok you believe that.
The stewards agree that it's a racing incident. How are you going to revive your belief now?
people look at all the drivers that overtook another car on turn 2 during the race. did they take the line that vettel did and closed the door on bottas that he didn't have to cause bottas was clearly struggling for grip? every single driver aside from vettel made the pass on the outside without cutting the apex short.

NYGIANTS
NYGIANTS

Sierra117 wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 17:15
TAG wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 17:10
What a wonderful win for Mercedes, with Ferrari having the quickest car and a supremely hot track temperature that's been Mercedes' albatross, they still manage to produce a commanding win. I can't even begin to comprehend how it all went wrong for them today.

Bottas driver of the day IMO. Incredible how time and time again Vettel simply has no perception of anything behind his helmet when the desperation sets in.
It's been mentioned a few times that those halo-mounted mirrors don't have good visibility. If that's why Vettel cannot see what's behind him quickly or naturally enough then they need to do something about that.
what was his excuse last year? the guy doesn't have good spatial awareness.

marvin78
marvin78

NYGIANTS wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 21:03
JonoNic wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 17:03
fabian77 wrote:
Lol ok you believe that.
The stewards agree that it's a racing incident. How are you going to revive your belief now?
people look at all the drivers that overtook another car on turn 2 during the race. did they take the line that vettel did and closed the door on bottas that he didn't have to cause bottas was clearly struggling for grip? every single driver aside from vettel made the pass on the outside without cutting the apex short.
You are right but no one of the others was so far in front.

NYGIANTS
NYGIANTS

Restomaniac wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 17:31
stuartpengs wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 17:27
Restomaniac wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 16:59
I hate team orders/manipulation.
Ferrari should have let a clearly quicker Raikkonen have a pop at Bottas too.
:? Those two statements are completely contrary.

Another good race for Merc and HAM, points taken and lead increased where, truth be told, very few were expecting it. Track position is king here, I'm suprised there were so many varied predictions before the race. If you get away in the lead, have a clean stop, you're always in the box seat. Irrespective of Merc's form on hot hot tracks the delta to pass was just too much so they could run the car slower and still maintain the lead. Once HAM got out in the lead the win was in the bag, regardless of VET on US.

Looking forward to two stellar tracks next! :D
I’m pointing out the double standards on here.

My view is the first sentence. Some on here however are happy to jump on 1 team but ignore it when their team do it.
nope there's a difference when your other driver is 70pts adrift, there's also a difference when your playing rear gunner in the first race of the season.

if bottas was within 20-30pts of lewis they wouldn't ask him to sacrifice him winning a race. this point in the season bottas has to help merc win the constructors championship and hope for next year.

one thing with bottas he is there with lewis on some saturdays, and on sundays he disappears. he needs to work on race pace next year to even sniff a shot at a win or championship.

Moose
Moose

For me, the Vettel/Bottas incident was a racing incident. Vettel shouldn't have cut across so tight, Bottas shouldn't have been so late on the brakes when he'd already lost it.

Bottas does though deserve slagged off for the Ricciardo incident.

sosic2121
sosic2121

NYGIANTS wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 20:58
CriXus wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 16:56
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 16:55

What did he say?
It was Vettel's fault for the accident with Bottas.
it was vettels fault! no one all race cut into the apex like he did, even ricciardo who passed a few cars in turn two took a much wider line. vettel was ahead going into the turn and if he stayed outside he would've been able to pull away with the stickier rubber. he's lucky he didn't get a puncture.
Isn't that approved Max Verstapen line?

Moose
Moose

marvin78 wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 21:07
The point is that no takes turn 2 that tight even when they're in clear air with no driver beside them. Vettel didn't cut to the racing line, he cut inside the normal racing line.

sosic2121
sosic2121

Moose wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 21:11
For me, the Vettel/Bottas incident was a racing incident. Vettel shouldn't have cut across so tight, Bottas shouldn't have been so late on the brakes when he'd already lost it.

Bottas does though deserve slagged off for the Ricciardo incident.
What is your opinion on France T1 incident?

marvin78
marvin78

Moose wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 21:12
marvin78 wrote:
The point is that no takes turn 2 that tight even when they're in clear air with no driver beside them. Vettel didn't cut to the racing line, he cut inside the normal racing line.
I don't see that. But perhaps is my look too neutral?

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Moose wrote:
marvin78 wrote:
Pretty much this. Vettel could still have held on to his move without cutting Bottas's face off. More blame on Vettel than on Valtteri for thst one. For the Ric incident Valtteri at fault for sure.

Vettel sorta reminds me of Rosberg - clumsy racecraft. Shame!

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

falonso81 wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 19:28
F1NAC wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 19:21
Isn't there a rule that was introduce few years ago relating on faking pitstops? How can Mercedes be allowed to pull those?
I remember that and i believe Merc did it again this year or 2017. Don't know if anything changed.

I think they can get away with it with the excuse that they intended to make a pit stop and changed their mind. Also on Sky they noticed that the mechanics were holding different type tyres which shows it was a fake pit stop.
Well, if that holds true, OK. But there is a slight chance that they may have done the pit stop; maybe they were just informed that VSC ends so you wouldn't want to be caught in the pits surely.
It's a possibility unless what SkySports says it's true.

NYGIANTS
NYGIANTS

ismail1991 wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 18:34
As a mercedes fan, I don't think Valteri deserves to drive a Mercedes. First of all, he should have known that he wouldn't make the turn from the inside without touching Vettel, even if he didn't touch vettel, he would not make the corner and Kimi would pass him too. Secondly way worse is that he tried to defend to Ricciardo with a broken front wing and late braking and understeering into him. His excuse at the end of the race "I just understeerd into him , my wing was broken." Then why did you brake that late, you knew that you can't take the corner. I can't believe.
A) the tangle with vettel into turn 2 is vettels fault for closing the door when he didn't have to. every driver who passed another car all race didn't take the line that vettel did and surprised bottas. vettel had the tire advantage as bottas was struggling for rear end grip, vettel was ahead going into turn 2 and if he stayed under the passing line he would've out dragged bottas on exit.

B) this was 60/40 on bottas, and even horner said it on the broadcast that he hoped that bottas doesn't understeer into him. all dani had to do is what he did on the next lap which was to tuck on the inside into turn 1 if bottas wanted to challenge him under braking with a broken front wing. i'm glad dani was able to finish the race though cause the contact looked bad for both. in fact bottas had the terminator scarred look on his side pods.

NYGIANTS
NYGIANTS

marvin78 wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 21:14
Moose wrote:
marvin78 wrote:
I don't see that. But perhaps is my look too neutral?
just rewatch the other passes during the race and you'll see the difference.

and for those that say bottas didn't have to drive that hard going into turn 2, how can you not when you know that other drivers wouldn't take vettels line into turn 2 and they would've given room, but vettels move to his defense is the difference between a champion or potential champions (at all costs) vs other drivers, he just didn't need to be so clumsy.

here's his pass on kimi on the first lap and compare it to the contact with bottas, and dani over mags.

https://youtu.be/swnvZggX0uo?t=19

https://youtu.be/swnvZggX0uo?t=147
Last edited by NYGIANTS on 29 Jul 2018, 21:52, edited 2 times in total.