2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Schuttelberg

Re: 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

Now, coming to the race itself. I want to blow off some steam so here I go-

Vettel seems to have lost some confidence in the wet/tricky conditions. I'm not one of those who has forgotten some of his remarkable races in the rain, but he needs a performance in the wet quite badly to reinstate his self belief. I believe an on form Vettel could have taken pole and as a result won the grand prix.

How good is Lewis Hamilton? I mean day in day out he churns out these pearls in extreme pressure situations in such challenging circumstances. The grand prix was won yesterday and boy was it well deserved! Absolutely deserved championship lead and upto now, the best driver of the year. He's put in three absolute pearls back to back and Vettel will be breathing a sigh of relief that there's a bit of a break now. I think, in my head, Hamilton is now the second greatest racing driver of all time. It's hard to do those rankings but I just can't find higher praise for him.

I see a lot of filth around here about Vettel being 'clumsy' with his pass on Bottas. It's hilarious! The bloke had his entire car ahead of Bottas and earned the apex to that corner. It's basic racing. Bottas hit Vettel and his overspeed was such that he still couldn't make the corner. Vettel's pass on Raikkonen as well was absolutely brilliant! Anyone attributing any blame/adjectives towards Sebastian there is showboating and talking out of places where it doesn't smell like roses.

Last year, continuing into this year there have been countless articles/suggestions that Ferrari have a no.1 and no.2 driver. Anyone who's followed this season and is true to himself will tell you there's no such crap happening at Ferrari and Bottas is definitely doing no.2 duties at Mercedes. He was basically lamb chop today when they didn't cover for Kimi. I find this hypocrisy absolutely pathetic. Lewis doesn't need to be portrayed like this messiah more than he already is and Vettel as the pantomime villain. The narrative seems to be that Lewis is driving a slower car since 2017 against a competitive team mate against a stronger Ferrari with a German who has all the cards laid out in his favour including a team mate to serve him at back and call. The reality and the narrative are very different. Mind you, I think Mercedes are being smart about this and Ferrari daft!

How many races now and this is the third employee Toto has managed to throw under the bus in front of the press? He basically called Bottas a lapdog who's been a brilliant team man this year and again insinuated that the Ferrari's crashing into him was standard protocol? The guy is smoking some high quality --- and Lewis is the only reason he is still in that job. I've followed F1 for 25 years now and I've not seen a team principal who has 0 qualities to be one. People will talk about the 4 championships.. this is the real challenge and he might win again but the first time he's been under the pump and there's more than enough to indicate that he doesn't cut the mustard!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

apexcontrol
apexcontrol

sAx wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:26
sAx wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:24
apexcontrol wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:16

Yeah maybe not if vettel and hami can fight it out but they cant... 8driver championships between them..and my god what a bad pair of champions they are.

Just ridiculous to see and hear them in a race
It's a shame that ricardo or max are not in a decent car they would repair the bad joke of driver paring at merc and fer

Would not suprice me if leclerc will outright kill vettel in the first race with same car ....and plz dont put ocon or max beside hamiton....because it will start his singing career and ending his driving
Haven't been watching for very long have you?
I have seen schumi killing every driver next to him i have seen senna and prost fighting ...ofcourse alonso and kimi in there best days even and so on.....but the years are just not the same. Missing killers in the field ...have ever noticed hamiltons radio message or his totaal off weekends ....what about hothead vettel.....its just wel below true champions standart in my book

But hey ...it is what it is

Zynerji

GrandAxe wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:27
Zynerji wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:12
GrandAxe wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:08

Its not about Renault's excuse, their engine is obviously sub par. There's particular level of shock you get seeing drivers (aside Alonso) spitting on their engines in public. If engines were so easy to make, why can't they make theirs?

Di Resta wasn't half this lippy before he was summarily launched into high orbit - never to land in F1 again.
He landed a race at William's after being launched...

And you pay for engines that meet the rules. At this point, RBR is taking penalties and losing real championship money due to the fact they had no choice of supplier other than Renault.
Not giving excuses for Renault, but Red Bull's DNF's seem to be mainly electrical or gearbox, which would be their fault, not Renault's.

Those are side arguments though, at the core of their public spat with Renault are decorum, respect and to a degree, honesty. Its not good for business. Mercedes refused to supply them an engine, using their relationship with Renault as an excuse. Ferrari too refused them, though for reasons not made public.
The real answer is competition.

Im not a RBR fanboy, but there is reasonable expectation to meet the rules without incurring penalties.

It's up to Renault to push back if it's an installation issue, but so far, the contracted parts are failing. Period.

apexcontrol
apexcontrol

Schuttelberg wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:22
apexcontrol wrote:
sAx wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:55

Maybe no bad thing! If Vettel didn't make too may mistakes he would have won 102 races and 8 WDC, Similarly if Hamilton didn't have too many weekends off, 130 race wins and 8 WDC's might be boring the pants off the viewers watching as they fight for the 9th! #-o #-o #-o
Yeah maybe not if vettel and hami can fight it out but they cant... 8driver championships between them..and my god what a bad pair of champions they are.

It's a shame that ricardo or max are not in a decent car they would repair the bad joke of driver paring at merc and fer

Would not suprice me if leclerc will outright kill vettel in the first race with same car ....and plz dont put ocon or max beside hamiton....because it will start his singing career and ending his driving
I tried to ignore this thrice but I can't help taking the bait.

Where exactly did Max and Daniel qualify in tricky conditions on Saturday? It's very easy to demean people that are winning by saying they have the best tools for it. Guess what? they've worked hard to acquire it in their careers and not just lucked into that. Do you remotely understand racing to even know how brilliant this victory of Hamilton is and how brilliant Vettel's recovery was?

Every driver has their weak moments in the car and tend to speak rubbish in the heat of the moment. That's what makes these amazing athletes who can do things we can't human i.e us. Get off your high horses and appreciate what you're seeing and if you can't, turn that tele off next time. No one is shoving the product down your throat!
Ill take shumi vs mika or prost vs senna
Over them 2 highly overrated champs anyday of the week.

And if you have seen those fights you would know....the current merc and fer drivers are not equal to the real hero's

But if you think they are . Well oke ...i think otherwise

Edax
Edax

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:33
RedBull have suffered more than the other Renault teams which must point the finger at RedBull as the source of the problem. I doubt their (i.e. Newey's) drive for tight packaging isn't helping their reliability.
I think the ballistic reaction from Ves and Horner suggests that something is going on behind the scenes, besides the known performance issues.

Last race Renault refused to deliver the parts that RB requested. So much is clear. Perhaps this week something similar happened to VES.

It is the only reason I can think of for these outbursts.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Merc should have the same strategy for both drivers. I think they could have easily kept the 2nd with Bottas if he followed Hamilton's strategy. Ferrari tricked them into extremely early stop. Points to Ferrari for the strategy :)

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Edax wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 00:46
Just_a_fan wrote:
RedBull have suffered more than the other Renault teams which must point the finger at RedBull as the source of the problem. I doubt their (i.e. Newey's) drive for tight packaging isn't helping their reliability.
I think the ballistic reaction from Ves and Horner suggests that something is going on behind the scenes, besides the known performance issues.

Last race Renault refused to deliver the parts that RB requested. So much is clear. Perhaps this week something similar happened to VES.

Zero respect. Seriously how can you be business partners with people like them? Lol.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:

Anywho... I need to check if Lewis is the most successful driver in Hungary...
He was before the race and he still is after the race. 6 wins now. Michael had 4, Senna 3, Mika 2...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

apexcontrol
apexcontrol

Edax wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Remember last year ? Renault did not have enough PU parts.
I don't know how but i do think renault is screwing everything and everyone, including them self.

Maybe flavio is back behind the scenes secretly doing some tricky stuff again regardless of any consequences 🤔

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

foxmulder_ms wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 00:48
Merc should have the same strategy for both drivers. I think they could have easily kept the 2nd with Bottas if he followed Hamilton's strategy. Ferrari tricked them into extremely early stop. Points to Ferrari for the strategy :)
I think so too. Bottas seems to have been thrown under the bus today, it didn't leave him in a good mood either.
However Mercs reasoning must have been that Ferrari is faster than them, so they might as well use the second driver as a roadblock to garner as many points as possible before the summer break, during which time they can catch up in the development war.

NYGIANTS
NYGIANTS

GrandAxe wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:59
NYGIANTS wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:24
LM10 wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 22:14

The 4 time world champion does have zero race craft?
Vettel should have not raced Bottas because Bottas is not a championship contender? What are you even talking about?! :wtf:
Do you know that you get more points with a higher finish?

Some negative comments towards Vettel get really ridiculous already. It’s like people search for things to blame Vettel for.
not zero race craft but he can get clumsy when he doesn't need to. he's lucky that the contact with bottas didn't have bigger damage. the point is, he was going to pass him regardless so why close the door that much knowing what could happen if they got into contact at that speed.

the blame comes with territory, all drivers particularly the top drivers get their fair share of blame of what they did wrong.
You just described zero race craft! :P
Here's someone fighting for the world championship, yet engaging in a no holds barred battle with a sitting duck on shot tyres who isn't. He could easily have left Hungary with a 32 point deficit to Lewis - race all thrown away again. Its almost rookie stuff.

Bottas tyres were so worn that he could barely keep his car moving in a straight line without a drunken wobble. Vettel could have taken the normal racing line and still come out ahead, but he acted as if the entire race depended on that single corner; no spatial awareness, no strategic thinking, no patience, poor car placement.
he's had many drives from the back in the ferrari and red bull where he made it up to the podium or top 5 without incident, hence he's got race craft. but at times he doesn't think and he's willing to take chances to the detriment of his very own car for the bigger picture. like you said he could left hungary with a bigger deficit.

NYGIANTS
NYGIANTS

apexcontrol wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:56
Schuttelberg wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 23:22
apexcontrol wrote:

I tried to ignore this thrice but I can't help taking the bait.

Where exactly did Max and Daniel qualify in tricky conditions on Saturday? It's very easy to demean people that are winning by saying they have the best tools for it. Guess what? they've worked hard to acquire it in their careers and not just lucked into that. Do you remotely understand racing to even know how brilliant this victory of Hamilton is and how brilliant Vettel's recovery was?

Every driver has their weak moments in the car and tend to speak rubbish in the heat of the moment. That's what makes these amazing athletes who can do things we can't human i.e us. Get off your high horses and appreciate what you're seeing and if you can't, turn that tele off next time. No one is shoving the product down your throat!
Ill take shumi vs mika or prost vs senna
Over them 2 highly overrated champs anyday of the week.

And if you have seen those fights you would know....the current merc and fer drivers are not equal to the real hero's

But if you think they are . Well oke ...i think otherwise
like i said been watching since 92 but didn't see prost/senna mclaren days live, but i did see schumi/mika, and i have to say some have nostalgia goggles on. they were good but they had more than their fair share of bad saturdays and sundays, and boring races, but some people only remember are youtube snippets races the likes of suzuka 1989 and spa 2000.

the last two years vettel and hamilton has provided plenty of memorable moments that ranks up there with the last 20-30 years in my opinion. ive always said we've been in another golden age of drivers since 2012 and i can only hope the next generation of drivers give us the same drama on saturdays and sundays. i just wished alonso was in a competitive car, because i rate alonso, hamilton and vettel the greatest drivers of their generation in no order.

RZS10

Please, guys ... don't turn the "2018 >>HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX<<" thread into another pointless driver (preference) discussion

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

NYGIANTS wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 01:37

like i said been watching since 92 but didn't see prost/senna mclaren days live, but i did see schumi/mika, and i have to say some have nostalgia goggles on. they were good but they had more than their fair share of bad saturdays and sundays, and boring races, but some people only remember are youtube snippets races the likes of suzuka 1989 and spa 2000.

the last two years vettel and hamilton has provided plenty of memorable moments that ranks up there with the last 20-30 years in my opinion. ive always said we've been in another golden age of drivers since 2012 and i can only hope the next generation of drivers give us the same drama on saturdays and sundays. i just wished alonso was in a competitive car, because i rate alonso, hamilton and vettel the greatest drivers of their generation in no order.
Absolutely agree. 2017-2018 are absolutely classics, what else do you need? A ferrari vs a silver arrow, two greatest drivers of their generation fighting each other relentlessly , plenty of controversy, drama, swing of power and changes in the lead.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

RZS10 wrote:
30 Jul 2018, 02:07
Please, guys ... don't turn the "2018 >>HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX<<" thread into another pointless driver (preference) discussion
You are right, sadly I already fell for the bait. Mods need to take care of the instigator.