[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Ft5fTL

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2018

CAEdevice wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 15:06
Ft5fTL wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 11:58
etsmc wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 06:52
All last season the issue was finding front downforce to balance the car.. now its finding rear downforce !!! aggghhhhh
I still struggle with the front downforce. Creating it without causing too much drag and without disrupting the cooling flow is somehow very hard to me.
Maybe a small (-0,1 or -0,2°) rake angle could help?
Running with -0.3° rake atm. Tried -0.6° for a while but i couldnt make the diffuser work with that angle. Rake certainly helps to a point for the frontal area but even with that im no where near to the bar that i set preseason.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

jjn9128

Ft5fTL wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 15:42
Running with -0.3° rake atm. Tried -0.6° for a while but i couldnt make the diffuser work with that angle. Rake certainly helps to a point for the frontal area but even with that im no where near to the bar that i set preseason.
Lurking again. Have you tried dropping your front wing/diffuser angle. Getting closer to the ground with rake should improve front downforce - such that dropping the angle reduces upwash and stops robbing flow from cooling and rear diffuser. Also look at the angle air is entering your cooling ducts. You want to align them to the flow to minimize separation in the duct.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

CAEdevice

Ft5fTL wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 15:06
Ft5fTL wrote:

I still struggle with the front downforce. Creating it without causing too much drag and without disrupting the cooling flow is somehow very hard to me.
Maybe a small (-0,1 or -0,2°) rake angle could help?
The difference between -0.3° and -0.6° is huge. I would try -0.4° at this point, but it is a pure guess based on my car layout.

CAEdevice

jjn9128 wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 16:25
Ft5fTL wrote:
Lurking again. Have you tried dropping your front wing/diffuser angle. Getting closer to the ground with rake should improve front downforce - such that dropping the angle reduces upwash and stops robbing flow from cooling and rear diffuser. Also look at the angle air is entering your cooling ducts. You want to align them to the flow to minimize separation in the duct.
Right now, I am doing exaclty what you wrote :)

Ft5fTL

jjn9128 wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 16:25
Ft5fTL wrote:
I will try that.

Meanwhile i took some renders from the car that will race on the first race. I hope it will be useful for Andre.
And a scenic one :D

CAEdevice

It looks awesome! Interesting front diffuser (the Rebellion LMP1 has a similar concept or am I wrong?).

My car will be fully revealed in a couple of days (not very different from the preview of July and with 60% of the geometry in common with the introcar).

At the moment I am focused on two issues:

1) balance
2) internal cooling flow (I am testing shorter sidepods)

The rake option is interesting but I will use a very small angle: I have the impression that a complete redesign of the diffuser will be required to use significant angles.

etsmc

Ft5fTL wrote:
etsmc wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 06:52
All last season the issue was finding front downforce to balance the car.. now its finding rear downforce !!! aggghhhhh
I always go back to this when creating my cooling intakes.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/air-duct ... illem-toet

Just testing a -0.15° of rake on my setup now. still nowhere near a cl/cl of 5 like the intro car though.

variante

Ft5fTL wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 18:53
Meanwhile i took some renders from the car that will race on the first race.
Pretty cool car! The are some interesting details (engine intake position, for example). And those rear wheel fenders remind me of something... O:)
I wonder how you made you radiators ingest enough air with that enormous front diffuser.

TalnoRacing

variante wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 16:03
Ft5fTL wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 18:53
Meanwhile i took some renders from the car that will race on the first race.
Pretty cool car! The are some interesting details (engine intake position, for example). And those rear wheel fenders remind me of something... O:)
I wonder how you made you radiators ingest enough air with that enormous front diffuser.
Great job if you managed to get the engine intake to work! I previously tried a similar concept and could not get enough air into the engine.

JJR
JJR

Hi! How can I update image of my car on matiumchallenge page please ?

schwepes

Back from holidays. It will be hard to finish the 2018 car before the first race, but I'll do my best. I've sent my registration with the 2017 car and will update it after current one will be at least 90% ready ;)

LVDH

JJR wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 12:13
Hi! How can I update image of my car on matiumchallenge page please ?
Just hand them in however you prefer.

schwepes wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 21:24
Back from holidays. It will be hard to finish the 2018 car before the first race, but I'll do my best. I've sent my registration with the 2017 car and will update it after current one will be at least 90% ready ;)
I just updated you, so now you can download the newest software. Good luck.

CAEdevice

Sorry but I could not fid the time to paint the car, anyway this is the car I have just submitted:

Ft5fTL

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 07:31
Sorry but I could not fid the time to paint the car, anyway this is the car I have just submitted:

http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... ne_001.JPG
Looks good as always. Interesting rear wing.

CAEdevice

Ft5fTL wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 14:40
CAEdevice wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 07:31

http://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/MVRC/20 ... ne_001.JPG
Looks good as always. Interesting rear wing.
I need a double airfoil to balance the car despite the low DF setup, not a good sign...