2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
makecry

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

roon wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 19:23
Can they switch back to a Mercedes engine any time soon?

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 766731.jpg
Not sure why this is being brought up.

Big Tea

If Dennis was still there I believe he would be putting his all into bringing in a supplier, like BMW or even Hyundai.
Switching back to Mercedes would still put them behind Mercedes even if Williams or FI did not get first dibs.

At Renault, they are at least co-developing with Renault, but I do not see them being up front this decade.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ground Effect

Big Tea wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 22:43
If Dennis was still there I believe he would be putting his all into bringing in a supplier, like BMW or even Hyundai.
Switching back to Mercedes would still put them behind Mercedes even if Williams or FI did not get first dibs.

At Renault, they are at least co-developing with Renault, but I do not see them being up front this decade.
The problem is, no new manufacturer is showing any sort of interest, such that the current 4 suppliers are saying there's no need for a radical rules change. They all want to keep the MGU-H. I don't believe BMW have any interests in F1 whatsoever. Aston Martin are all talk and no substance, they seem satisfied with just having their name on the Red Bull.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea

Ground Effect wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 23:00
Big Tea wrote:

The problem is, no new manufacturer is showing any sort of interest, such that the current 4 suppliers are saying there's no need for a radical rules change. They all want to keep the MGU-H. I don't believe BMW have any interests in F1 whatsoever. Aston Martin are all talk and no substance, they seem satisfied with just having their name on the Red Bull.
There did not seem an alternative when he and Ojjah got the Porsche TAG engine. I don't think anyone else could have pulled that off.

Ah!, Hello mr top 3 sports car makers in the world, would you make an engine for me, Oh yes, and name it after a watch :shock:

I could well be biased though, Always a big Ron fan.

zeph

Big Tea wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 23:06
Ground Effect wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 23:00
Big Tea wrote:

There did not seem an alternative when he and Ojjah got the Porsche TAG engine. I don't think anyone else could have pulled that off.

Ah!, Hello mr top 3 sports car makers in the world, would you make an engine for me, Oh yes, and name it after a watch :shock:

I could well be biased though, Always a big Ron fan.
For the record:

McLaren (or Ron Dennis) asked Porsche to make a turbo engine, Porsche was open to the idea but didn't want to pay for the development cost, so they told McLaren they'd do it if someone else would foot the bill.

Ron Dennis found Mansour Ojjeh, whose company TAG (Technique d'Avant Garde) paid for the whole thing, and got to slap their name on the engine.

As a result of their successful partnership, Mansour Ojjeh bought a share in McLaren. Together, Dennis and Ojjeh bought Swiss watchmaker Heuer in 1985, and rebranded it TAG-Heuer.

So no, the engine wasn't named after a watch. That dubious honor goes to RedBull and Renault.

I think Dennis and Ojjeh no longer own TAG-Heuer, but not sure.

edit:

From Wikipedia:
TAG sponsored Formula One team Williams during the early 1980s, including when team drivers Alan Jones and Keke Rosberg won the 1980 and 1982 World Championships respectively. During the 1983 season, Mansour Ojjeh had a meeting with McLaren team boss Ron Dennis, who offered Ojjeh the chance of not just a sponsorship deal like with Williams, but having a part ownership of McLaren. Ojjeh agreed and the McLaren relationship continues to this day, with the TAG Group holding a stake in the McLaren Group.

While still a sponsor of Williams, Ojjeh financed the development of a turbocharged Porsche V6 engine for use by McLaren. The engines would be badged as TAG as Ojjeh owned the naming rights, though the engines also displayed the words "Made by Porsche".

zeph

Big Tea wrote:
Disagree. If Dennis had remained at the helm, they would have carried on with Honda.

Big Tea

:mrgreen: I know. They are a large company and , a subsidiary, Heuer, is the watch maker, but it sounds better my way

iotar__

Big Tea wrote:
Really :roll: ? New engine supplier 5 + 2 years behind that doesn't exist (no interest) would be the idea to fix McLaren aero problems?

SimonFW11b

Why would any OEM manufacturer chose McLaren given recent performance and issues?

techman

Just interested to know , do you guys think mclaren can beat redbull next year? now that redbull has a gp2 engine

Zynerji

techman wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 08:47
Just interested to know , do you guys think mclaren can beat redbull next year? now that redbull has a gp2 engine
Nope. STR gave Honda complete freedom to fix their engine, and it has matured significantly this year in preparation for next year.

ALO_Power

I wonder why Porsche or Toyota aren't interested in developing a power unit since they have some pretty good know-how from WEC.

diffuser

Zynerji wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 14:12
techman wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 08:47
Nope. STR gave Honda complete freedom to fix their engine, and it has matured significantly this year in preparation for next year.
You need to be clearer with your questions. McLaren have finished ahead of RBR in some races so technically they have beat them this year as well as being beaten by them several times.

If your question is whether McLaren will finish ahead in points in 2019...I think it is possible. But there are still too many variables to be able to really say with conviction.

- We don't know who 3 of drivers are for next year...McLaren need ALO... cause he's ALO. They need a Sainz, a proven racer, as a future replacement for ALO. Does anyone realize' that Sainz is 2.5 years younger that Stoffel?
- RBR has a HUGE job of repackaging the rear end...will the chassis aero fall behind?
-Will they have gearbox problems?(the Hondas PU sits 8-10" further back than the Renault, how complicated are these gearbox mods, I have no idea).
- How reliable will Honda be?
- Honda are still down on BULK power (but not significantly to Renault).
- Have McLaren figured out their aero issues?
- Have McLaren been working on 2019 since 2017?
- How reliable will Renault be?

I think I will be watching with interest.
Last edited by diffuser on 11 Aug 2018, 16:42, edited 3 times in total.

diffuser

ALO_Power wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 15:10
I wonder why Porsche or Toyota aren't interested in developing a power unit since they have some pretty good know-how from WEC.
Maybe cause they see Honda, after 5 year and spending hundreds of millions of dollars(maybe billions), are very far from Merc/Ferrari PU.

diffuser

roon wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 19:23
Can they switch back to a Mercedes engine any time soon?

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 766731.jpg
Merc stopped supplying PU to McLaren cause McLaren started building road cars or so the story goes.