Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Juzh

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF71H

roon wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 13:41
Juzh wrote:
11 Aug 2018, 10:58
siskue2005 wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 19:12

Good post.... but do u also have video of Ferrari using it?
Ferrari powered teams don't have exhaust mics it seems, all you can hear is engine and ers winding noises.
I'm not aware of a standard location for the microphones. My guess is that Ferrari has theirs mounted near the gearbox, other teams having theirs mounted near the radiators. Engine exhaust, turbocharger, and gearbox noise dominate the sounds we hear. Why would the electric motors, their controllers, and/or the ES be audible over these high-dB sources?
Since 2018 all cars are equipped with 2 onboard microphones, one in the regular old school position and one near the exhaust. Those 2 audio feeds are then broadcast sepparately to the left and right channel. They did this in order to improve the onboard sound and to allow easier differentiation between cars/engines.

ERS winding noises are very obvious on the ferrari, much more so than on other cars, i guess they positioned the second mic not near exhaust, but rather somewhere else in the car.

hollus

That's a whole page where Ferrari was mentioned twice, once to say what is not in the car.

On topic, gents!

Posts likely to vanish if they stay off-topic.
Rivals, not enemies.

roon

At the Barcelona test those floor stickers came back. They showed up last year, to much speculation.

Reviving some old speculation: since 50% of a SF71H sidepod inlet is visible from the front, and the other 50% is visible from above, can it be said that airflow overshoots the topside entry above a certain speed? Could this explain the high speed end-of-straightaway boost that the car receives? Relative to the other cars.

siskue2005

roon wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 02:19
At the Barcelona test those floor stickers came back. They showed up last year, to much speculation.

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... itlane.jpg

Reviving some old speculation: since 50% of a SF71H sidepod inlet is visible from the front, and the other 50% is visible from above, can it be said that airflow overshoots the topside entry above a certain speed? Could this explain the high speed end-of-straightaway boost that the car receives? Relative to the other cars.
That would not explain this sudden speed increase in last few races only... if it was sidepods then they would have had it from the beginning itself.... unless there is some new bargeboards and floor combinations

f1316

siskue2005 wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 13:28
roon wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 02:19

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... itlane.jpg

That would not explain this sudden speed increase in last few races only... if it was sidepods then they would have had it from the beginning itself.... unless there is some new bargeboards and floor combinations
I’m sceptical about this narrative that Ferrari ‘suddenly’ found all this PU speed.

As Gary Anderson (such as he is) said https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/the- ... s/3154810/ the gap between the two leading cars has not massively increased at any stage of the season - it’s only ebbed and flowed in a similar way as you’d expect through normal development.

Ferrari’s gap to Mercedes in terms of total performance is no bigger than it was in three of the first four races - in fact i’d say it’s smaller now.

So for us to believe that Ferrari have found a huge engine leap, you have to believe that Mercedes have found an equally large (or larger) leap somewhere else - in excess of everything Ferrari may have gained on the chassis.

Yes Mercedes had a big chassis update in Austria, but Ferrari have also had several significant chassis updates, so I don’t believe the sudden engine gains ring true against the performance differential we’re seeing.

Containbint

Thunder wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 16:13
McLaren Style FW Pylon.

The last (but not the least) video from the 2018 Formula 1 official tests I show you is entirely dedicated to the Ferrari SF71H.
I could have chosen one of the others cars but during my 2-days stay in Barcelona I found some curious and strange things being tested/used by Ferrari. But first thing first.

Halo, narrow and tiny sidepods, those curious mirrors. Don't want to talk about them. I want to focus your attention on a few things I saw when the SF71H was out on track and I really hope some of you give me an explanation for point 2 and 3 just for pure curiosity ;)

1) Needless to say it but wastegates (or whatever it is) were opening quite often, increasing the sound of the V6 engine. First time I noticed on a Ferrari's PU to be honest (Renault and Honda's power units were more likely to do it, but I rarely heard them too last week). Of course same thing for Haas and Sauber-Alfa Romeo, but the increase in sound was much lower. Still try to understand if it's a good or bad.

2) During the second day, temperatures were really low in the morning so teams took advantage of that situation by doing some "data collection" works by using aero rakes to study airflow in and around the car. Ferrari did a few slow laps (without any aero rake) and I noticed two bright lights in the back of the car, under the diffuser and near the two rear tires. At first I thought they were just some strange reflections caused by the sun but changing my recording place I understood they had to be lights. Anyone knows what are they for? 6:15, 6:22, 6:32

3) This is another curious thing. It's characteristic of all Ferrari powered cars (Ferrari, Haas and Sauber) and it's that soft and subtle cloud of smoke/vapor you can see coming out from the rear impact structure, just under the red led light. Noticeble every time, slow/high speed sections or even when it's stopping in the pitlane. You can notice it if you freeze the video at 2:08, 3:20, 3:37, 4:46...10:09. Explanations?

https://up-tube.com/upvideo/HJ91_rdDEE0

giantfan10

Containbint wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 12:33
Thunder wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 16:13
McLaren Style FW Pylon.

The last (but not the least) video from the 2018 Formula 1 official tests I show you is entirely dedicated to the Ferrari SF71H.
I could have chosen one of the others cars but during my 2-days stay in Barcelona I found some curious and strange things being tested/used by Ferrari. But first thing first.

Halo, narrow and tiny sidepods, those curious mirrors. Don't want to talk about them. I want to focus your attention on a few things I saw when the SF71H was out on track and I really hope some of you give me an explanation for point 2 and 3 just for pure curiosity ;)

1) Needless to say it but wastegates (or whatever it is) were opening quite often, increasing the sound of the V6 engine. First time I noticed on a Ferrari's PU to be honest (Renault and Honda's power units were more likely to do it, but I rarely heard them too last week). Of course same thing for Haas and Sauber-Alfa Romeo, but the increase in sound was much lower. Still try to understand if it's a good or bad.

2) During the second day, temperatures were really low in the morning so teams took advantage of that situation by doing some "data collection" works by using aero rakes to study airflow in and around the car. Ferrari did a few slow laps (without any aero rake) and I noticed two bright lights in the back of the car, under the diffuser and near the two rear tires. At first I thought they were just some strange reflections caused by the sun but changing my recording place I understood they had to be lights. Anyone knows what are they for? 6:15, 6:22, 6:32

3) This is another curious thing. It's characteristic of all Ferrari powered cars (Ferrari, Haas and Sauber) and it's that soft and subtle cloud of smoke/vapor you can see coming out from the rear impact structure, just under the red led light. Noticeble every time, slow/high speed sections or even when it's stopping in the pitlane. You can notice it if you freeze the video at 2:08, 3:20, 3:37, 4:46...10:09. Explanations?

1. No idea
2. ride height measuring ...lasers?
3. FIA mandated location for the oil breather discharge location.... mandated to stop teams from routing it into the intake to burn oil.

bill shoe

Containbint wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 12:33

3) This is another curious thing. It's characteristic of all Ferrari powered cars (Ferrari, Haas and Sauber) and it's that soft and subtle cloud of smoke/vapor you can see coming out from the rear impact structure, just under the red led light. Noticeable every time, slow/high speed sections or even when it's stopping in the pitlane. You can notice it if you freeze the video at 2:08, 3:20, 3:37, 4:46...10:09. Explanations?

Superb video and analysis.

Your comment # 2 about the bright lights. My guess is either -
1). a bright light to enable conventional video recording of tire deformation (for purposes of vehicle dynamics or aero influence), or
2). an optical slip angle sensor like the classic Datron sensor. Perhaps aimed at tire instead of ground? To measure tire dynamics?

Your comment #3 about the smoke coming from just under the red light-
I don't know what to think! But yes they are regularly burning/vaporizing some substance that seems to not emerge from the exhaust/wastegate location. I previously saw this in videos of Ferrari-engine start-up and thought no big deal. But it happens on-track at critical moments of transient on-throttle. And your time references are spot-on! You caught many things that I didn't see at regular speed the first time. You should be a pro in the oposition department of an F1 team!

OMG the 2018 Ferrari is a delicious mix of speed and unexplained phenomena! Seb, don't f*ck this up!

roon

I agree the lights are probably for recording video of the tires.

These claims that the Ferrari customer cars sound different than the SF71H; if that is occurring, why? The hardware is regulated to be the same, although maybe different spec versions are being used.

ScrewCaptain27

roon wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 05:30
I agree the lights are probably for recording video of the tires.

https://i.redd.it/8zrsd5o87qi01.jpg

These claims that the Ferrari customer cars sound different than the SF71H; if that is occurring, why? The hardware is regulated to be the same, although maybe different spec versions are being used.
Could be different ECU software, not sure how much that is regulated. Hardware spec must be the same by regulation.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

marvin78

Sound can be influenced by a lot of factors. The shape of some parts of the car could make a huge difference.

Big Tea

Can I please ask, were the lights visible to the naked eye, or just via the camera?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Morteza

Big Tea wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 11:37
Can I please ask, were the lights visible to the naked eye, or just via the camera?
They have been running these lights in testing since at least 2015. I don't know what they are for, but definitely not something new.
Here's a photo from 2015 testing:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

subcritical71

Morteza wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 18:37
Big Tea wrote:
They have been running these lights in testing since at least 2015. I don't know what they are for, but definitely not something new.
https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/static/img ... -the-r.jpg
What if... they are used so that photographer camera's cannot get a good view of the rear end... Bright light will make the surrounding areas look darker and detail harder to pick up.

Big Tea

subcritical71 wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 19:28
Morteza wrote:
18 Aug 2018, 18:37
Big Tea wrote:
https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/static/img ... -the-r.jpg
What if... they are used so that photographer camera's cannot get a good view of the rear end... Bright light will make the surrounding areas look darker and detail harder to pick up.
Quite possibly distraction tactics again :D

Actually, I was wondering what part of the spectrum they are in. If you look at your tv remote through your phone camera, you can 'see' the ir flashing.

I was thinking, although very unlikely, the light may have a secondary job while its main job is to radiate something.
Possibly 'see' heat or ultra accurate measurements of movement?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.